FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does anyone want to travel? Where?

bladesage
Does anyone think that travel would be interesting? Anywhere in particular? Where?

Me, I've traveled too much already. My dad was in the U.S. Air Force, and we traveled so much that I had no hope of keeping friends!

I've seen Italy, Germany, Canada, other various European countries, and in the USA: Michigan (home), Mississippi, California, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee (I may have misspelled), and heaven only knows where else.

I think travel is overrated for the most part. How about you?
alkady
I've only been to Toronto, Quebec City, Ottawa, Kingston, Burlington, Scarborough and other Canadian Cities including Niagra Falls, 1000 Islands, US Territorial Waters in the area of Detroit. But I'm planning for New York, Then maybe Mexico, Europe and so on later on. I still have the rest of my life in front of me so I got all the time.
Vrythramax
I have traveled quite a bit, and yes...I think it is very over-rated. I still wouldn't mind visiting some reletives in Ireland though.
girlinjapan
Why do you guys think its over-rated? I'm just curious. Personally, I like traveling, just because its something new, and you get to learn a whole bunch of stuff. Its nice. But then again, I was brought up moving aorund all of my childhood, so I guess that plays a part.
jayandsilo
to Mars
Vrythramax
girlinjapan wrote:
Why do you guys think its over-rated? I'm just curious. Personally, I like traveling, just because its something new, and you get to learn a whole bunch of stuff. Its nice. But then again, I was brought up moving aorund all of my childhood, so I guess that plays a part.

For me the more I travel the more things seem to remain the same. Granted, some cities are much nicer than others, and some locations may have more things geared towards tourists so they are a bit more entertaining. However it has been my sad experience that when traveling to places that are geared towards tourists, the natives can't stand you and (for some places) they treat you rudely. If I wanted to travel to be treated poorly, I would stay with my Mother-in-law for a week.
atin
bladesage wrote:
I've seen Italy, Germany, Canada, other various European countries,

Canada is my favourite European country!!
atin
Vrythramax wrote:
some locations may have more things geared towards tourists so they are a bit more entertaining.

God help the world with myopic attitudes like this!

Places which are geared towards tourists are the reason that travelling is becoming less and less interesting.
Garnet
I would really like to see the Congo in Africa, or the terricota soldiers in China. I don't really care much about sitting on beaches, I just want to see places like those (imagine standing on the floor of Osiris' temple...so many people would have walked there from back in the day).

Rude natives don't bother me, I wouldn't be going there to visit them Twisted Evil Ok well I'd like to meet people in different countries but I'm thinking of seeing what real life there is like, as in not in the big tourist hot spots.
Scorpio
atin wrote:
bladesage wrote:

Whoah Whoah.. When did canada become part of europe.

Anyway, I just love travelling. Adventure and trekking trips are real cool.
I love mysteries and love to explore new places, hitherto unknown.
atin
scorpio wrote:
atin wrote:
bladesage wrote:

Whoah Whoah.. When did canada become part of europe.

Ask Scorpio!
Hopples
i really want to travel to Europe, russia, and australia. They all seem so pristine and interesting. I've only been out of the US once, so I think I need to be more culturally aware. England, Ireland, France, Italy, they all seem so awesome! I think that when you are immersed in a different culture for a certain amount of time, your experiences there have such a huge impact on your life. You understand how other people of the world act and live. I think that living in the US my whole life is making me think that everybody lives like americans. Which i know is not true.
mtoni
I have travelled to various countries (just as a vacation with my family)
and I am way too young to end with traveling Smile

Seriously, when I have finished schoolm, I want to travel to Japan.
Like 2 months or something. A good friend of mine has a friend living in Japan, so that's a nice thing......

It will be pretty hard though... Us europeans in a land with a really different language then in europe.
Soulfire
I've been to Toronto, Canada, and Orlando, Florida. I really want to go on a European Vacation, Rome, Paris, London, Venice, etc.
bladesage
atin wrote:
bladesage wrote:

Canada is in North America. That's one of the reasons I went on vacation there, I live in West Michigan, so the ability to actually drive there was very important to us.

To me, Canada will always be known as "The land of many milkshakes." We were there for maybe a week, and I got to spend over $300 (American) on milkshakes! I got to try every single type they had at the cafe just down the street, and that was 37 different flavors. I loved that. I suggest that people that aren't from around Canada don't try the raspberry shakes there. They tasted awesome, but I had diarrhea both times.

I stayed at "Golden Eagle Resort," and it was indescribably awesome. My parents took out $10,000 (American) each! I spent at least 300 on the first day, buying fishing stuff.
bladesage
girlinjapan wrote:

I think it's overrated because I've been nearly around the inhabbited world, and it has caused me nothing but misery. I had my entire life uprooted as a child, every single time my dad got restationed somewhere else. The worst of those instances was living in Germany. It was so great. Nearly every memorable moment of my early childhood took place there. I had so many friends, a reasonable amount of money, my first 2 girlfriends, more pixie sticks than I had any clue what to do with, and my first dance and first kiss all in Germany.

It seemed I had everything a boy could possibly want there. It was all so nice, until I turned eight. Then, we had to suddenly move back to America. I was absolutely devastated, it couldn't be described. Everything I had to be happy for was suddenly gone, before I even knew how it had happened. I lost all my friends, my girlfriend, my reputation, essentially my entire life, in just one move. It was absolutely horrible.

I was, and forever will be, scarred beyond repair. I not only lost everything, but I had no hope whatsoever of regaining my social life. Everything here was just too different, the music, the schools, the people, the police (whom I used to see more than any man should have to), the fashion, absolutely everything. I had no way of knowing that over here, the Backstreet Boys were considered gay and the Spice Girls were just plain lame.

I was in such a deep depression, and it only got worse over time. It was years before my mom was actually convinced that I needed to see therapists. I'm [mostly] okay now, due to years of medications and Psychologist treatment. It took me until just this year to regain friends and [semi]popularity, and that would never have been possible without the new opportunities borne by high school, and it took until this, my second, year of it for this to even happen.

That series of horrendous events is why I consider travel to be slightly overrated.
izimngcubes15
I would like to go to Hawaii, because I have never been there before and our family is rich but does not have any time to go have fun and on vacation, it's like we're earning money just to pay the bills...lol. Well, I'd like to go swimming or watch people surf, I really love to travel places. Razz
oneightwo
bladesage wrote:
Does anyone think that travel would be interesting? Anywhere in particular? Where?

Me, I've traveled too much already. My dad was in the U.S. Air Force, and we traveled so much that I had no hope of keeping friends!

I've seen Italy, Germany, Canada, other various European countries, and in the USA: Michigan (home), Mississippi, California, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee (I may have misspelled), and heaven only knows where else.

I think travel is overrated for the most part. How about you?

hey, stop complaining. i've been to over 40 countries! and i'm only 14. i got dragged around everywhere, and at the time i hated it, but now i look back and i can understand how lucky i am.

I've been all around europe, i lived in england. Ive been to russia, egypt, France, Germany, Portugal and lots more.

and sometimes it was fun, sometimes it sucked, but im lucky that my parents gave me those experiences.

But i haven't been to Japan or Canada Sad Sad Sad

so if i could go anywhere it would be Japan and Canada because:

Japan: technology and heritage!

Canada: Skiing!!!! i realy realy realy like skiing. hehehe
SMCentral
im going spain soon but i wanna go to ny
kaikou
I hope to go to the Czech Republic soon, and to Japan Smile I've heard Canada is cool, too, so I'd like to go there, and I would especially love to go to Ireland and England.

I've only ever lived in 2 states. I've lived in three cities in Texas, and two in Oklahoma. Don't you mess with Texas!
vlnjodie
This summer I'll be making my way up to Seattle and British Columbia (hopefully) as well as a good drive down the California coast, including Bay area, Red woods and maybe yosimete (sp?). In a few years I hope to do a international trip. Possible Australia/New Zealand, Austria, or Southern Asia.
yatria
Thailand is wonderful. Bangkok, Phuket, etc.

Life has returned to normal in Thailand following the decision by Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra not to take the premiership in the next government.

The streets of Bangkok are bustling with traffic as usual as anti-government political demonstrators have returned home to await the next developments.

Travel industry executives have heaved a sigh of relief, stressing that Thailand’s vibrant democracy has again proved triumphant, allowing the Thai people to express their opposition peacefully.

Airlines, tour operators, hoteliers and other industry service providers were busy communicating the all-clear message to their principals abroad.

Tourism to Thailand was briefly affected over the past few weeks of political controversy that culminated in a national election on 2 April. Hotels reported a slight downturn in occupancies as visitors chose to switch to other destinations due to concern over unforeseen developments.

In announcing his decision at a nationally televised Press conference on 04 April, Prime Minister Thaksin said he wished to restore national unity in a year of tremendous importance to the country – the celebration of His Majesty the King's 60th anniversary on the throne.
Pikokola
Welll. I want to go to Japan XD othing I just want to have a nice day there. Last time I got there, I feel very welcom, and I hope I'll be there soon XD

By the way, I want yo go to Levant to. I like ruin and I see there is a Nice ruin Smile
bladesage
Well, while I have had bad experiences with travel, I would like to go to Washington DC. I would absolutely love to see the Senate building, and the White House sounds like a real sight to see, too.

I would also like to someday revisit Germany and/or New York City. The latter, I've only driven through as a small child. The former, I want to see some castles again. Germany has the most castles I've ever seen, though most of them were turned into hotels.

I think Canada would be nice to see again, perhaps someday we will be able to afford another vacation there. I would love to have some more of their milkshakes again.

I will never forget the trauma I have suffered with past travel, but I will stop living on the past. I think that some more travel would be very nice, provided we don't permanently move anywhere else. I have too many friends here that I could not stand to leave, not to mention my new girlfriend.

As far as seeing some ancient ruins or temples or anything goes, I would love to go see Rome. I wouldn't want to learn any new languages or anything (other than relearning German), but I want to see some temples and such. Athens sounds very exciting to me (not to drive in, I've heard they have narrow streets), I'd love to go meet some more intellectuals there.

I've heard bad stories from my parents about driving around in Italy. My 8th grade science teacher said that when he went to Italy, he felt just too huge. He said everyone else there was shorter (nothing against Italy, I love the food).
Code of Ruin
I traveled quite a lot. I have seen most southern countries of Europe and a part of Africa. I would still like to visit Greece and the U.S. and Canada.
bulek
I would like to travel to Japan and Egypt, because I want to see traditions and customs of other people.
AdamantMonk
I'm in love with the desert. I'd like to see the Outback, Sahara, Gobi, and any other desert I haven't thought of.

I also want to take a trip over to Thailand, Uganda, Peru, Venezuela, Micronesia. Really too many places to list, but these are up top.
Subsonic Sound
Travel is fantastic as long as you want to do it. Being uprooted as a kid can be a horrible thing. I was only put through that twice - my family moved out from England to Hong Kong for a couple of years, and back again. But I actually didn't mind too much... I fitted in very well in Hong Kong, and I stayed in touch with my friends back in England too.

Since then, I travel voraciously. I've been to the Phillipines, Hong Kong, China, Macau, Greece, Germany, France, Poland, Finland, Austria, Portugal, the Canary Islands, Florida, and of course all over the UK (England, Scotland and Wales). I'm not done yet, there are many other things I want to see, and places I want to go... Tokyo, for a start, I want to see more of America, and New Zealand. I want to see the Aurora, too.

Some of my most treasured memories have been while travelling. Sitting on a deserted beach on an uninhabited island in the Phillipines, with nothing but cheese, wine, and the sound of the waves...

Or beside a lake in Finland, three in the morning but still light, with candles and the sound of wolves in the surrounding forest... we'd spent that whole day barbecuing, listening to ambient music and going between the ferociously hot wood-fired sauna and the lake.

Forced travel can be horrible. Voluntary travel is wonderful.
bdoneck
I've never been outside the United states, so naturally, yes I do want to travel, probably to mars or something. But really, anywhere would be awesome to go to for me australia would probably one of my top picks
mrwojtas
my great dream is to go to Venezuela (i suppose we spell it like this in english Very Happy )
Kaneda
Travelling - what's better than that? (when it's your own choice Wink)

Been to most of the countries of Europe (excluding Albania and Lithuania); Algeria and Tunesia - mainly the Sahara desert; Russia, Thailand, (the coast of) Myanmar (Burma) and China.

But there's so much more to see - USA, South America, more of Asia (Japan, India and back to Myanmar - more on that...), would like to visit the Phillipines and Polynesia.

yatria wrote:
Thailand is wonderful. Bangkok, Phuket, etc.

Indeed it is. Smile My best trip ever. Spent two weeks in Bangkok about 5 years ago along with two friends - that city is just intense for a European to take in... Simply too much sensory overload Smile After Bangkok, we went to Phuket (tourist hell), then North to Kaw Thaung, where we met up with two others...

And almost a year of bureaucratic research, contacts, paperwork and saving up paid off. 18 days on a mid-size bareboat catamaran in the Mergui Very Happy - with a compulsory Myanmar government-appointed guide, although he turned out to be virtually non-existant - and none of us understood a word he was saying. Seemed friendly, though Wink

Mergui... 800 tropic islands in an enormous area, only a handful of them inhabited and totally untouched by anything from tourists to industry.

Other than one visit to the town of Mergui to get stocked with food, two visits by navy officials wanting to check our papers, and the occassional sailing by of a sea nomad or fishermen (always insisting on giving us free fish), it seemed like we were the only five (well, six if you count the non-existant guide) people in the world.

Absolutely free to explore rain forests - some with an abundance of bird and animal life that's almost scary, other so quiet it's scarier. Enormous caves and natural tunnels - and miles of beaches, where we sometimes ate at night, drinking around a fire until early morning, knowing we were probably the only people in (at least) a 10 mile radius. Diving in some of the most beautiful depths I've ever seen - getting close enough to touch a whale shark Smile...

It's absolute paradise - which is sure to be ruined in a few years (if it hasn't been already), since there are now already quite a few arranged tourist deals available. Sad

Most expensive trip I've ever been on (the Mergui part costing probably three times the rest of the trip just for permits to sail there, boat rental + payment to that non-existant guide), but it was absolutely worth it. Wow, just wow, wow, wow Smile

Subsonic Sound wrote:
Some of my most treasured memories have been while travelling. Sitting on a deserted beach on an uninhabited island in the Phillipines, with nothing but cheese, wine, and the sound of the waves...

Or beside a lake in Finland, three in the morning but still light, with candles and the sound of wolves in the surrounding forest... we'd spent that whole day barbecuing, listening to ambient music and going between the ferociously hot wood-fired sauna and the lake.

Sounds like my kind of travels Smile It's those things you remember. Not the Eiffel Tower or the Charles Bridge or the Great Wall.

Rather, being invited to a party by some random students in Prague.

Or getting forced into playing Mahjong in a dusty, smoke filled Mahjong house with some very enthusiastic Chinese people who only know about 50 words of English, while you don't know the rules of Mahjong Smile
quick_basic
I want to go to as many places I can before I die( or run out of money, which ever one comes first). I have been to 42/50 states, Cancun and Cozumel in Mexico, Quebec canada, Barbados, San Juan Puerto Rico, Aruba, Sidney and Melbourne Australia, Japan and China.