FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

de-bark

myrevolt
Sad My neighbors complained to the association that manages the complex I live at for my dog barking. I've tried several things to get my dog to be quiet but to no avail. I kept him over at a friend's house, but now I am being told if I don't pick him up by tomorrow, they'll bring him to the pound Crying or Very sad I was looking at ways to stop the barking online, and because time is of the essence, professional training is not exactly an option. I was considering de-barking surgery, as hurendous as that is. And I don't want him to die! And surgery has risks... anyway he is Border-Collie Confused and I've tried a shock collar in the past Confused *sigh* and that didn't phase him.

Any ideas?

Anyone done or heard of someone they know, doing this surgery?

and this is NOT an april fools joke.
thiamshui
surgery is too cruel.. how about putting him up at a friend or relative's place for the time being? or send him to some boarding house while giving him training?
ocalhoun
It's really quite simple, and has worked for two dogs of mine (consecutively).
Every time they bark, yell at them and smack them.
If you start this while they are young, they will never even start having a barking problem.
falconfx
I have no words to describe such cruelty.

Where I live there are also many dogs that barks every night, nevertheless I never told my neighbors to take them to the surgeon to... I can't even think about it... poor beasts!

I suggest you to avoid your pet this humiliation.

IMHO your neighbors should go to the surgeon, not your dog.
riv_
You said your dog is a border collie... that's a working breed... very smart dogs that are lovely to have around as long as you keep them busy. Many working breeds (including border collies) will exhibit problem behaviours if they're bored and/or lonely.
I suspect if you were to surgically "de-bark" your dog, he'd start showing other problem behaviours (really, barking isn't so bad.)
Give your dog something to do. Kong makes a good toy you can stuff with treats and stick in the freezer, keeps a dog busy for a while. Tie a knot in a tea towel, get it wet, stick it in the freezer... play with the dog with it, encourage him to play/chew. Leave the radio on when you leave the house... etc, etc.
Get creative about finding ways to keep your dog busy. And train him. Lots of positive reinforcement for good quiet behaviour, and a nice, firm "No" (and no attention) when barking.
There's lots of good resources online if you need help.
I would recommend avoiding "punitive" or "physical" methods with a working breed. Ususally backfires... works with some dogs, and breeds... but not always a good idea, especially not if you already have aproblem.
dz9c
falconfx wrote:
I have no words to describe such cruelty.

Where I live there are also many dogs that barks every night, nevertheless I never told my neighbors to take them to the surgeon to... I can't even think about it... poor beasts!

I suggest you to avoid your pet this humiliation.

IMHO your neighbors should go to the surgeon, not your dog.

Dogs get humilated? Shocked
falconfx
dz9c wrote:

Hey, I meant it as metaphorical. I perfectly know that dogs can't get humiliated, of course!

It was only to better render the idea.

Cheers,

falconfx
Kael
falconfx wrote:
dz9c wrote:

Hey, I meant it as metaphorical. I perfectly know that dogs can't get humiliated, of course!

It was only to better render the idea.

Cheers,

falconfx

You guys seriously believe this? You think that dogs cant get embarrased by their actions? You actually believe that these animals dont have emotions or know right from wrong?

Im sorry, thats off topic. Maybe I should start my own about this.
ladyrobina
As the dog is a border collie, he is or should be a working dog. They were bred to work and are not suited to unit living, or even on a house block for that matter. That is the core of your problem. He is bored and needs to get out in the countryside and run around. It is most likely that he barks to release pent up energy. I think you have a choice of having him debarked or finding him a home in the country, as hard as it may be for you to part with him.
I lived on acreage for many years and had cattle dogs there, which have now gone to live on a friends property as I am now living close to neighbours. I have been researching smaller dogs of a calm disposition who will enjoy lying around the house and just having twice daily walks. I having decided that a cavalier spaniel cross would make a suitable pet, but haven't got one as yet. I am looking forward to it though.