FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pentium 90 computer what to do with it

Rick_T
I have an old computer running windows 98 on a Pentium 90 processor. I am tired of it collecting dust. Any suggestions (other than a door stop)? Can it be used as a host server for webpages on the internet?

~Rick
RiCtee
Dump Windows 98 and install Linux, which doesn't consume a lot of memory (a least better than windows). Linux has built in support for web hosting, you only need to install the package. You could also make it a free, standalone firewall or intrusion detection (Iptables, Smoothwall, Snort, etc.) Lucky you, I really wish I got an old pc, just to "play" around with it.
technology.sponge
I don't think a pentium 90 would do as a webserver very well. There is a minimum speed and amount of ram needed to run basic tasks. To host a web server properly, u would need W2k which needs a 250mhz processor with 32mb ram minimum.

You could try linux but EXTREMELY lightweight distros are rare. Even dsl would run on a P90

other ideas: Very Happy
Door Stop
Stand (to elevate items)
totally mod the case for fun (rip out everything and moutn leds and a subwoofer inside?)
a lending computer
Rick_T
Thanks RiCtee & Technology sponge. You gave me some nice ideas. I like the suggestion about loading Linux on it to play & learn. BUt I also like the idea of gutting it and installing speakers or something of the sort.

For starters I'll start with learning about Linux on it. I haven't searched the web yet, but I'll go ahead and ask the question: Is there anywhere I could get a free Linux to play with?
Vrythramax
I agree with the above posts about installing Linux, then the machine could easily be used as a fileserver with the default software that comes with [most] Linux distros. Apache on linux is also very easy on your memory requirements, as well as the default ftp server software.
galbotrix
There are many lightweight Linux distros...search in distrowatch.com

I'd recommend DamnSmallLinux. If you are willing to experiment try to run Apache on it...though if your trafic is not much.
Arnie
I would recommend using it as an experiment box. You might try opening the case (if you've never done anything with hardware before). Or install BasicLinux 3, which is a lot easier for Linux beginners than those other distros.
http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/
AftershockVibe
You might also want to use it as a router, running Linux of course. Will save you a few quid.

Heck, stick in a wireless card and you have a wireless router/web server. Not bad considering what you'd have to pay usually!
Arnie
That is, if you get the install/drivers/config right. If you are unexperienced you will be working on it so long that it's not worth it - spending the same amount of time on a paid job could earn you 2 professional routers!
Xeniczone
Linux will be a good server to make out of this computer.

Another kinda stupid thing you could do is try to salvage gold out of it. For example each pin on that cpu is made of gold. I don't know if it is pure or not but you know you might get more out of taking the gold out of that computer then you would selling the computer on ebay.
ocalhoun
Xeniczone wrote:
Linux will be a good server to make out of this computer.

Another kinda stupid thing you could do is try to salvage gold out of it. For example each pin on that cpu is made of gold. I don't know if it is pure or not but you know you might get more out of taking the gold out of that computer then you would selling the computer on ebay.

All the gold in the computer, if collected (a process that would take weeks) would be worth less than one US dollar.

I collect old PC's and add them to my beowulf cluster. It's almost as fast as a new computer now.
Arnie
How many old computers are there in your cluster? What are their specs? I'm planning to set up a cluster too. (Have an attic with about 14 old computers, lol..) How stable is it?