FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is the ultimate war movie of all time

anthonygerbils
what is the ultimate war movie of all time
please tell me your ideas and choices and we will once and for all settle this debate
thanks
budazz
TROY, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, BLACK HAWK DOWN...

i cant think more lol
Garnet
I'd vote "Saving Private Ryan" or "Braveheart." Also, although it's getting pretty old I'd also like to suggest for impact's sake " All's Quiet on the Western Front." It was made after the book, and it portrays war in a really realistic way.
anthonygerbils
ROY, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, BLACK HAWK DOWN.

these are all brilliant movies i have to say but there has to be other movies other than the recent one like i
think patton and
pearl harbour are brill.......
and like a fello fri host said
Quote:
All's Quiet on the Western Front

so is there any other good movies out there please reply
VidE
How about Dr. Strangelove? Also, there was a great movie done in the late 40's, early 50's about guys that had returned from WWII and the difficulties of readjusting...one of the soldiers was an amputee. Can't remember the name, but that was pretty good too. And then there is Apocalypse Now. And though it was a documentary series and not a movie, the 13 part PBS series done maybe 20 years ago on Vietnam that was narrated by Will Lyman was fantastic.
Garnet
VidE wrote:
How about Dr. Strangelove? Also, there was a great movie done in the late 40's, early 50's about guys that had returned from WWII and the difficulties of readjusting...one of the soldiers was an amputee. Can't remember the name, but that was pretty good too. And then there is Apocalypse Now. And though it was a documentary series and not a movie, the 13 part PBS series done maybe 20 years ago on Vietnam that was narrated by Will Lyman was fantastic.

All's Quiet on the Western Front might be it since a huge part of that story was how life seemed once they got back, and a guy lost his leg. The time seems about right, and it was about WWII too.

I would have liked to have seen that documentary, it sounds interesting.
ylmun
Ummmmm, Starship Troopers? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

In all seriousness, I like Stalag 17. Ran is awesome and The Last Samurai was pretty good.

How could anyone forget Platoon?
canadol
I am a very big war movie fan and in my opinion you have not even scratched the surface of the best...

Apocalypse Now ( my choice for the best, mentioned)
Platoon (mentioned)
Full Metal Jacket
Tora Tora Tora
Saving Private Ryan (mentioned)
Scaramanga
I swear we just had a thread like this not too long ago...

But anyway, I'm really shocked that not a signle person has mentioned The Longest Day. It is by far probably one of the most prolific war movies ever.
axellindner
Saving Private Ryan. But Band of Brothers is the best, but thats a series, not a movie so i guess thats out.
anthonygerbils
yes the longest day is brilliant and so is band of brothers but as you said its a series
thanks for all your replies please keep them coming
canadol
Scaramanga wrote:
I swear we just had a thread like this not too long ago...

But anyway, I'm really shocked that not a signle person has mentioned The Longest Day. It is by far probably one of the most prolific war movies ever.

My bad, I can't beleive I missed it , excellent choice
HoboPelican
I won't say it's the best, but for me BAT*21 is right up there. Hackman and Glover do a good job as average joes in a very unaverage situation.

And flame me it you must, Jerry Reed did a great job, too. Wink
starcatcher5555
Garnet wrote:
I'd vote "Saving Private Ryan" or "Braveheart." Also, although it's getting pretty old I'd also like to suggest for impact's sake " All's Quiet on the Western Front." It was made after the book, and it portrays war in a really realistic way.

Yes, I really loved "All Quiet on the Western Front." What a sad movie. I also loved the fact that it's from the German's point of view.
yooksauce
test
lucifertje
there is only one amazing war movie and that's Full Metal Jacket!
Chris24
Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, and Forest Gump Razz
anthonygerbils
what forest gump ????????????????????????? that not a war movie
exarkun
What about Star Wars and Lord of The Rings. I love those two very much Razz
anthonygerbils
emmmmmmmmmmm.... i think star wars is sci-fi but we are looking for any war movies but yeah star wars and lord of the rings are class but has any one got any more war movies ......
thanks for your replies and how about "battlefield" and movies as such
THANKS AGAIN AND PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING
dwcnps
Well I think Doctor Who - The Parting of the Ways has so much deaths, bullets and death rays (and Daleks) so i come to my conclusions that Doctor Who - The Parting of the Ways is the ultimate war movie of all time.

Thankyou.
anthonygerbils
memphis bell this is another war movie so does anyone know any others and not sci fi please like DOCTOR WHO
thanks
please reply
HoboPelican
Ok, here is a quick review of what has been mentioned (I may have missed a few). If you add a new one, just quote and add yours to the list.

Smile

All Quiet on the Western Front
Apocalypse Now
Bat*21
Blackhawk Down
Braveheart
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Who
Forest Gump
Full Metal Jacket
Jarhead
Kingdom of Heaven
Longest Day
Lord of the Rings
Memphis Belle
Patton
Pearl Harbor
Platoon
Ran
Saving Private Ryan
Stalag 17
Star Wars
The Last Samurai
The Thin Red Line
Tora Tora Tora
Alienz
For me, Saving Private Ryan was the best.
Jayfarer
I love All Quiet on the Western Front too, but Saving Private Ryan jsut seems like the definitive MODERN war movie. Intense and powerful.
anthonygerbils
ok saving private ryne is class but come on it is not the MOST definitive MODERN war movie as BLACK HALK DOWN was spectacular and so was WE WERE SOLDIERS but yeah it should go down in movie books for all time and i agree it is intense and powerfull.

thanks for your posts and replies and please keep them coming.
thanks
paurna
The Good
Tora Tora Tora
The Last Samurai
Kingdom of Heaven

The Better
Apocalypse Now
Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Patton

The Best
Blackhawk Down
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
anthonygerbils
cool nice list paurna
+ HoboPelican welldone and thanks.
please keep the replies coming.
thanks
Altec88
SPR, and FMJ for me.

Platoon, of course is up there.

Gettysburg also.
anthonygerbils
thanks for all your replies and if you would like to describe any of the films in small detail that would be appriciated.
but if not please keep the names coming in and your replies.
thanks.

The Good
The Better
Apocalypse Now
Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Patton
The Best
Blackhawk Down
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now
Bat*21
Blackhawk Down
Braveheart
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Who
Full Metal Jacket
Jarhead
Kingdom of Heaven
Longest Day
Memphis Belle
Patton
Pearl Harbor
Platoon
Ran
Saving Private Ryan
Stalag 17
The Last Samurai
The Thin Red Line
Tora Tora Tora
ryanh2006
Hello there Anthony how are ya. I would have t go with Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. I think that these 2 films have incredible depth. SPR is an excellent WW2 movie by Steven Speilberg. It tells the story of Tom Hank's platoon in WW2 during and after D-Day and their mission to find a private James Francis Ryan. Its an amazing ride. It has an incredible D-Day landing sequence that really captures the horrors of that day. Speilberg's genius, and Hank's and Daemon's awesome talents really shine thru in this movie.

Black Hawk Down is a modern day film. It was directed by the legendary Sir. Ridley Scott. It follows the events of the American soldiers, who went into Somalia and their efforts to stay alive. He has some incredible action scenes, a beautiful and haunting soundtrack and some excellent acting.
So Anthony that was my take on the matter at hand, but like the other guys here there have been tons of brilliant war movies. I really hope that enjoy watching these 2 flicks. Bye Very Happy Laughing
anthonygerbils
thanks very much ryanh2006 well appriciated and thanks for your input into what these movies are about.

please keep up the replies.
todabeat
I would have to say Saving Private Ryan. Good flick
CrookedBlaze
Saving Private Ryan is a definite.

But also....

Crash
Hotel Rwanda
Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Forest Gump (That's a no shit sherlock)
BLUES BROTHERS
Rocky Horror Picture Show

I think Rocky Horror takes best movie ever for me.
CrookedBlaze
Whoops. Replied the the wrong topic.

My comment shall be shortened to Saving Private Ryan, LOTR, and Forrest Gump.
Traveller
To End All Wars, with Kiefer Southerland - unfortunately, that didn't get very widespread release, so you'll need to look for the DVD.

Otherwise, The Great Escape.
redhawk1044
I would have to vote for Jarhead. From the experiences that i have heard from friends of mine i would have to say that it is the most realistic which in my opinion is what constitutes a good war movie because it puts you in the shoes of an actual soldier.
DeFwh
We Were Soldiers (starring Mel Gibbson)
HDirtwater
DeFwh wrote:
We Were Soldiers (starring Mel Gibbson)

If you can get through the first 35 minutes without killing yourself from boredom, We Were Soldiers is an outstanding film.
DeFwh
HDirtwater wrote:

If you can get through the first 35 minutes without killing yourself from boredom, We Were Soldiers is an outstanding film.

Yes I can because the first 35 minutes isnt exactly boring its educating for those who like a little bit of background info.

Also Apocalyspe Now is a very good movie because of its effort to bring the truth about vietnam war to the masses
Traveller
DeFwh wrote:
Also Apocalyspe Now is a very good movie because of its effort to bring the truth about vietnam war to the masses

Apocalypse Now was an adaptation of a short novel (i.e. fiction) that was originally set in Africa: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

BTW, also be sure to catch Porklips Now - a great parody that can be found on Hardware Wars and Other Film Farces (if you can find that)!
HDirtwater
If you want to watch a great documentary about Apocolypse Now, go find Heart of Darkness. It chronicles what Francis Ford Coppolla went through to make the movie. He went almost completely insane making it, and worked the actors in the movie to the brink.

On a side note, Apocolypse Now Redux is terrible. It adds 40 minutes of deleted scenes to an already long film. The original, while a great movie, is hard enough to follow without having to stay alert for 3 1/2 hours....