FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Global Warming

udaykamboj
Global warning is a serious issue nowadays and I think you can visit the link below and spend a little time on it. It'll be very helpfull i'm sure.

Also please pass on this information to as many people as you can.

Please try to make a difference.

www.fightglobalwarming.com
Greeny
You must have got that wrong, because its say it can't find the page....

We will be like the Day after 2moro film, it won't don't cut some things out.

We need to start to use greener things.
william
Global Warming is a major issue. I believe that we should stop foreign conflicts and then focus on things that'll make the world better. One of those things is find the solution to global warming. We should make more fuel effeficient cars, or even better, cars that run without fuel.
girlinjapan
Cars need something to make them go...things can't move on their own with no energy.

I agree that human caused global warming may be a problem, and we should all be more conscintious about the wastes we make.
william
girlinjapan wrote:
Cars need something to make them go...things can't move on their own with no energy.

I agree that human caused global warming may be a problem, and we should all be more conscintious about the wastes we make.

Well, of course cars need something to make them go. But, I think we should find reusable sources such as solar. I truly believe in using hydrogen to power cars. Some are being tested now.
Garnet
I just read an article on this about how Greenland's ice is melting at shocking rates. It's pretty scary. I'm concerned about the species that are being wiped out already because of this, like the frogs. The media seems most concerned for coastal cities, and some people even seem happy since farming conditions in Northern areas will be improved.

I'm a member of a group that promised not to drive without four other people in the car for the next five years. Might sound foolish but since I live in a place with a good public transport system it works pretty well. Think of how much pollution one car would create in a year, x 5, x the 18 other members. That's how much we would keeping out of the atmosphere, not much I think it could be a start.

Honk if global warming concerns you Wink
amicalindia
Use biofuel which is cleaner, promote renewable energy sources, increase forest cover to reduce carbon dioxide and green house gases in atmospere. It will bring the temperature down. And most IMPORTANTLY - simply BOYCOTT the products of big, profit motivated multinationals who are raping earth having scant regard for environment.

p.s. - Ask your local senator / member of parliament / any other dic*he** representing you people to allocate at least of 10 % national budget for environment. If they say fund problem ask them to reduce defence expenditure. If earth gets unhabitable, then whats the use of their missiles? Ask them to stick it up their big, fat a****s.

p.s.s. - As a saying goes. 'Earth belongs to your children, you have only borrowed it from them' or something like this. dont remember exactly.
SledRun
“We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.” These words are from an old Native American saying, and are well worth repeating. “We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.”
dz9c
girlinjapan wrote:

william wrote:
Global Warming is a major issue. I believe that we should stop foreign conflicts and then focus on things that'll make the world better. One of those things is find the solution to global warming. We should make more fuel effeficient cars, or even better, cars that run without fuel.

What they said
AdamantMonk
Anyone ever stop to think maybe this is a natural occurence? I mean I'm sure early man played a big part in ending the Ice Age. The earth's climate goes in cycles, it's in equilibrium.

BUT, Fossil Fuels are going to be gone someday, and we need to think about the legitimate consequences of our pollution. Something bad is going to happen... but the ice caps have been melting for a long time, and nothing's gonna stop em.
Sebaci
There will be very hot in 2012, but because of big activity of sun (solar flare)
udaykamboj
girlinjapan wrote:

Cars aren't the only source of pollution.... just by switching on an electric bulb when you don't need it like when you're out of your house or something is contributing to Global warming.... I'm very sure in due time cars will become greener.... but until then watch your home and start to introspect rather than just blame things. Try to make a difference, thats a start.
udaykamboj
Greeny wrote:
You must have got that wrong, because its say it can't find the page....

We will be like the Day after 2moro film, it won't don't cut some things out.

We need to start to use greener things.

Yes I did get it wrong. Sorry for that. I have corrected the link you can visit now.

It is:

www.fightglobalwarming.com

take care
Kashinilaya
It is important to know about it. Even more important is to understand the real reason behind global warming: collective consciousness! To be brief, I describe collective consciousness as the ability the society has, as a whole, to understand reality (and reality is not only what we can percieve with our senses!). It's a kind of average of the individual consciousness of the members of society.
It is good to be aware of world problems, so that we do not propagate them, but we can do much more than just read and talk about it.
When an individual behaves in an negative way, he (she) contributes to the decrease of the collective consciousness and, therefore, to the degradation of live. On the other hand, those who behave positivelly, contributes to the betterment of collective consciousness and of the world, as a result.
A wise man has said: "the universe reacts to the individual action." Isaac Newton has proved it on the mechanical level. We can empirically prove it with the help of our reasoning.
Nologico
blah... I'l be dead before it effects Earth... Twisted Evil
lyndonray
is this a problem we can reverse, or the best thing we can do is slow down the inevitable - which is an inhospitable earth? This is a serious problem but it seems like there is too much talk and no action. A whole lot of lip service. You would think things like Katrina would wake everyone up. But noooo all we can get from that is a cover story in Time and a two weeks of coverage from CNN. From there, off to the next breaking news story. One would think that a submeged city would cause more of a longer lasting stirr. What do we need then? not just a submeged city but millions of people dead all at once?
Scorpio
Well US is the country that refuses to ratify the Kyoto protocol.

Stating reasons that it cant impair its development blah blah blah...

If such a major player in the world arena which contributes heftily to the pollution and emission of greenhouse gases refuses to ratify this, how can we expect to convince the other countries/
smalls
There are different theories as to how much (if at all) humans are impacting global warming. There is no question that climate change occurs naturally. Whether or not we are helping it along is at debate.
Let's (for the sake of argument) accept the premise that humans do have an impact on global warming. There still isn't much we can do about it, unless we are willing to dramatically change our lives. The fact is, carbon dioxide is the "breath of our civilization". It's produced when we make things, when we move things, when we heat things, and when we cool things.
What we need are cost effective alternatives. The absurdity however, is that the same "environmentalists" that call for restrictions to lower greenhouse gas emissions also call for restrictions on the building of new power plants (which are far more efficient than the old ones), and on building nuclear power plants, which are even more efficient, and produce almost no greenhouse gasses.
Government regulation (i.e. Kyoto, and others) is not the way to fix this problem. The best thing that can happen is that fuel costs continue to go up. As fuel costs increase, the demand for alternative energy sources increases, as does interest for individuals to conserve.
raman
Thats a pretty informative site but I doubt that global warming is that big an issue right now.
Ghost Face
I've solved the problem to global warming.. by letting everyone know that it's not possible.

Well, that is at least if you're a Christian.

Remember God's promise to us after Noah got out of the ark?
We will never have a flood that will cover the earth again.
The Philosopher Princess
For a different perspective, y’all might want to check out a new thread: Are politicians good sources for science? (Greenhouse Myth).
dwcnps
I've got one, it's about the greenhouse gases,

http://www.ffp.csiro.au/pff/greenhouse/index.htm

CSIRO Commonwealth Scientiffic and Industrial Reserch Organization.
They work for the Australian Goverment.
ShattaAD
I truely wondered wether global warming has anything to do with the frequencies and intensity of hurricanes. Many scientists claimed that global warming can a least cause an increase in world wide hurricane intensity. It is to my understanding that this world revolve under the laws of energy and thermodynamics. Increasing heat trapped by the earth(heat energy) is being transformed into other form of energy such as ocean thermal energy and wind energy. If this transfer of energy is uniform and asymmetric, then it is reasonable to assume that other phenomenons other than hurricanes will intensify, not just hurricanes. Do we see an increase in winter storm activity, tornadoes or wave heights over the past 100 years? If not, then is it still plausible to propose that hurricane activities have increase due partly if not wholely to Global Warming?
albusa
yeah man, we all going to desapear, look at the world man, we are in winter now here in Honduras, when is suposed to be a big sun and hot weather
albusa
I think if the artics melt the water will grown more than 10meters, so, the cities that are under the sea level, will be flood, remember another thing that is that the moon, are separating from the earth and what happening with that?. who is who make the tides ? the center of mass between the moon and the earth, and if the moon desapear, the center of mass of the earth will be in the center of the earth so, the axis wont be more the poles.
eday2010
I think global warming is not as big an issue as the eco-nuts say it is. the temperature has gone up 0.6 degrees celcius in the last 100 years. who can say that we caused it? There is no real way to prove that we caused it to go up rather than it being a natural occurance. The Earth's temperature goes up and down naturally. Those eco-nuts make a big deal out of it because as long as we are worried about global warming, their organizations will get funding and support, and thus they will have a job and an income. Weren't they warning about global cooling 25 years ago? Now it's global warming? why can't they make up their mind. And besides, they should be happy that we averted the global cooling danger Wink
franchi105
Thank you for posting this type of messages. I think it's really important to have an idea on the future threat of our emissions. Now it's the moment to do something for our planet.

I hope that a lot of people will take a look to this site.
paul_indo
You make a good point AdamantMonk and it seems many others also are skeptical about the radical claims that global warming caused by mankind will destroy the planet.

The earth has been through the ice age and is now still possibly on an upward climb. And yet we seem to still have winters that are the coldes t on rcord in many countries.

In reality if we believe the views of scientists that say the earth is millions of years old, then we have very little knowledge of short term (100 or 1000 years) weather patterns. Only the patterns over millions of years. So any talk of global warming can only be speculation.
mephisto73
interesting how people woke up finally when Times and other conservative media ran their scare stories on global warming.
bluedragon
And now An Inconvenient Truth is coming to theaters all over! There is hope for humanity, yet!
daijoubu
The world is divided between people that dont care at all about the world and those paranoids that care too much about the world. We dont need to be either of them.

Yes global warming is a part of a big cycle that our world undergoes.. but do u think that it is just ok to let pollution run wild?
For every order that is brought unto our world, the more chaos we spread into our surroundings. But what we can do is to make it more manageable, ryt? Chaos is just something so complex that we only view it as such...

Only a matter of time before mankind will suffer the true tempest! Smile but because the common way to deal with this is the hard way, well lets juz drink up to it and wait for the time... it is easier to confront the enemy when it is juz in front of ur face

Quote:
The earth has been through the ice age and is now still possibly on an upward climb. And yet we seem to still have winters that are the coldes t on rcord in many countries.

In reality if we believe the views of scientists that say the earth is millions of years old, then we have very little knowledge of short term (100 or 1000 years) weather patterns. Only the patterns over millions of years. So any talk of global warming can only be speculation.

yes we know our limitations but we do know that humans are capable of destroying things created through thousands of years in a single century or two. The cycle will adjust to offset the activities of humans.... but did u think that a huge ozone hole and CFC's existed during that time?
saveexclusive
I would definelty have to agree with you guys on your opinions about Global warming. Global warming is a major issue that has very little focus from the public as well from high authority figures. Many blame global warming for this strange weather, and I dont blame them. In my opinion, instead of the gov't spending so much money on a unecessary war, they should be funding more programs that are created to limit or end global warming. If one doesn't know all the true facts on global warming, Al Gore has just created a film called the "An inconvenient Truth" that explains in detail all about global warming and the affects it will soon have on this world if we dont take action fast. Well I hope everyone takes the time to see this film, you guys will be very surprised.
pexivee
I guess that many people outside the US were dissappointed to see Bush overrun Gore in the presidential election campaign. If Bush has made the world a safer place (???) he sure has made it also warmer (!!!).

We cannot, however, blame the US administration for the problem. If the western world is expecting to keep up the current lifestyle, the production has to increase. Now the production increase is derived from the Asian work market, which contributes more and more to the Greenhouse Effect. Next it will be Africa and South America.

Can the western (and now Asian) people make the choice for declining standards for living and especially lifestyle? I am not "green" myself, but I am getting a bit scared...
nnsharma
I do not agree that we have to accept a "declining standard of living" to go green.

For instance, there is really no reason why vehicles can't get greener, in the sense of lower emissions. I suppose it will require a certain amount of investment from governments, in the form of tax breaks and incentivising research on alternate fuels.
Mannix
We don't need to "lower our standard of living" to go green, that's total bs. It will require a massive amount of money however, and it will take away from the oil companies, which have the U.S. government in their pocket(because they have alot of people IN the government(Bush, Cheney to name a couple)). To go green with any real success we will first need to remove those who benefit from our dependence on oil from office then we can go forward and make a significant change.
daijoubu
hmm... people will opt for for "greener" technology anyway when they need it. Whether overpollution or used-up fossil fuels, the time will come when we need that 'green technologies'. like i said, it is easier this way, no need to force anybody since it is all about survival

so now, we juz have to be aware of "the impending doom" situations. Laughing
alarmbells
AdamantMonk wrote:
Anyone ever stop to think maybe this is a natural occurence? I mean I'm sure early man played a big part in ending the Ice Age. The earth's climate goes in cycles, it's in equilibrium.

Indeed, the earth's climate does cycle. However, data collected by geologists has shown that over the last 400,000 years, earth's average temperature has been directly related to the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, and since the Industrial Revolution, the amount of CO2 has been increasing exponentially, far beyond anything in recent earth history (thanks to us)

Also, a lot of people misunderstand the whole 'earth flooding' scenerio. If the ice caps melt, the ocean will hardly increase in size, because the majority of the ice caps are already underwater, and water actually occupies more space in solid form than in liquid form. The actual issue is Thermal Expansion. If the average temperature of the ocean is increased, the ocean will expand. Even inceasing the temp of the ocean a small amount will cause a huge amount of expansion, and possibly swallow cities, etc.
S3nd K3ys
alarmbells wrote:
However, data collected by geologists has shown that over the last 400,000 years, earth's average temperature has been directly related to the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, and since the Industrial Revolution, the amount of CO2 has been increasing exponentially, far beyond anything in recent earth history (thanks to us)

Better look again. Wink

A single volcanic blast produces more Co2 than all the fossel fuel humans will ever burn, and solar activity accounts for much more temp change here on earth than Co2.

Sources: Friis-Christensen, E. & Lassen, K. 1991. “Length of the Solar Cycle: An Indicator of Solar Activity Closely Associated with Climate,”
and
Lassen, K. 1999, SolarFforcing of the Northern Hemisphere Land AirTtemperature: New Data, DMI-report #99-9, Danish Meteorological Institute, Copenhagen 1999.
alarmbells
ice core sampling reveals direct relationship between co2 and earth's temp
sadbi191
We have to look upon global warming, now only we can stop it from destroying the world. The faster it destroys the atmosphere, the faster Judgement Day comes closer.
The Conspirator
S3nd K3ys wrote:
alarmbells wrote:
However, data collected by geologists has shown that over the last 400,000 years, earth's average temperature has been directly related to the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, and since the Industrial Revolution, the amount of CO2 has been increasing exponentially, far beyond anything in recent earth history (thanks to us)

Better look again. Wink

A single volcanic blast produces more Co2 than all the fossel fuel humans will ever burn, and solar activity accounts for much more temp change here on earth than Co2.

Sources: Friis-Christensen, E. & Lassen, K. 1991. “Length of the Solar Cycle: An Indicator of Solar Activity Closely Associated with Climate,”
and
Lassen, K. 1999, SolarFforcing of the Northern Hemisphere Land AirTtemperature: New Data, DMI-report #99-9, Danish Meteorological Institute, Copenhagen 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Warming#Greenhouse_gases_in_the_atmosphere
Quote:
Greenhouse gases are transparent to short wave radiation from the sun. However, they absorb some of the longer infra-red radiation from the earth, making it more difficult for the Earth to cool.

The atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and CH4 have increased by 31% and 149% respectively above pre-industrial levels since 1750. This is considerably higher than at any time during the last 650,000 years, the period for which reliable data has been extracted from ice cores. From less direct geological evidence it is believed that carbon dioxide values this high were last attained 40 million years ago. About three-quarters of the anthropogenic emissions of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere during the past 20 years is due to fossil fuel burning. The rest is predominantly due to land-use change, especially deforestation [5].

There has been many volcanic eruptions between 650,000 years ago and now.
druidbloke
A volcanic blast is a fairly rare event and mostly disperses where as our emissions are constant, thats a big difference parppp. And in my opinion you can not care too much for the earth, I mean where would we be without it. We need to think about ensuring conditions for our children and childrens children are as good as we can make them, its no good being selfish and saying I want it easy now and worry later, all of the damage causing activities we do are unnecessary.
Bisdak
I guess this global warming won't affect us today and in our lifetime. We don't have to worry about it, unless if we care for our children. They surely going to suffer from our carelessness.
pexivee
Doomsday scenarios sell more papers and make better television. On the other hand, they wake people to the reality of global warming. - They might also be so unbelievable that many turn away from the problem.

Even the term "global warming" might mislead into thinking of benefits of warmer summers and moderate winters. Real world problems arise from small ecological shifts, for example, forest pests moving northwards affecting the more delicate norhtern pine woods. There are regions where the weather will be more affected than what is the global average.

If we can "freeze" the CO2 output, I am sure the future generations will take the environment more in consideration.