FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

slow booting

hokyki
Hey. Last night I installed some software/drivers for my new Samsung phone. I plugged it in and let it charge for a while before heading off to bed. I unplugged my phone and as I did, the computer restarted and made a click sound. I was about to turn the computer off anyway, so I didn't think much of it. At first I thought it must have just been because I started using the software/drivers without restarting.

When I awoke this morning, I turned on the computer and waited forever for it to boot. After about 2 minutes, I tried restarting, unplugging and taking out RAM. It still didn't get past the ASUS boot screen. I decided to wait even longer, I think it was a few minutes, between 2 and 5. Everything after the first boot screen (the ASUS one), runs at normal speed.

Any Ideas? The wait is unbearable after usually having to wait under a minute to be using programs after pressing the switch.

Specs:
AMD 64 3500+
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 x 1GB Corsair PC3200 RAM
MSI GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E
Pioneer DVR-109 DVD-R/RW
Seagate 200GB HDD
Windows XP Home SP1

Thanks for your help, in advance.
TheGeek
Its possible that it maybe have done something to change your bios. I would try resetting your bios settings and see what that does. If that doesn't do anything you can try booting up and downloading a program from microsoft called bootvis, it basically takes all your boot programs and puts them right at the begining of your hard drive so that it supposedly boots a little faster. I have it and though i use it i only noticed a few seconds difference.

Good Luck
lazyme
Maybe you have installed a lot of programs on ur system and they are executing at startup...

Goto msncofig and disable all the programs you dont require and reboot

Hope it helps...
abhishek_2410
check out for spywares,install ad aware ,spybot etc. and search for it.u may also remove some programs from startups
tamilchild
Your hardware details are good

Specs:
AMD 64 3500+
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 x 1GB Corsair PC3200 RAM
MSI GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E
Pioneer DVR-109 DVD-R/RW
Seagate 200GB HDD
Windows XP Home SP1

I think that some spywares are attack your system. First remove the spyware using adware softwares.

Embarassed
photon
most probably its the samsung software that is causin the trouble. it might have installed programs on startup, and that maybe causing the slow boot. try removing the programs from startup. Also check if it has any services installed
japasco
I f you thin that is spyware in your system try the free version of lavasotf Ad-Aware, this software maybe help you to solve your problem.

Yoou can find in this address http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Regards,
DiageoLiam
japasco wrote:
I f you thin that is spyware in your system try the free version of lavasotf Ad-Aware, this software maybe help you to solve your problem.

Yoou can find in this address http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Regards,

Amen. Wink
budazz
Check your system bios... if the windows still dont boot then you need to reformat it.. b'coz if you are attacked by any spyware.. you can't remove them if your OS is not working...
johanfh
This doesn't look like spyware. You described that the problem occured at your ASUS bootscreen. That's when windows or whatever system you have isn't active. So it looks like a BIOS problem.
When you boot your pc it searches for hardware it has or had. If some hardware is manually (or sometimes by software) selected in the Bios and your pc can't find that hardware it looks for it and looks again for it, etc. until it founds it or until it doesn't find it and continues booting, mostly (but not always) showing an error. That probing of your hardware takes a lot of time if something is wrong.
So try finding out which hardware can't be found. If you see only an ASUS-logo, try hitting escape to see more detailed info and error messages. If you're familiar with the bios, look through it for suspected settings (do not reset your bios immediately. It could cause you a lot of trouble getting everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, including hard-disks, dvd-writers etc. to function properly again.) and search for something like 'halt on all errors'. If this setting is off, turn it on and see if your computer tells you more about the failure.
If you're not familiar with the bios, look for someone who is.

Some tips:
- reconnect your samsung. Does the problem still occure? If yes, the pc isn't searching for your missing samsung, but something else was broken when you disconnected the phone.
- are your hard-disks and dvd-writer on 'auto' in the bios? If not, write carefully down the settings and put everything on auto. The computer will now boot a little slower than usually, because it looks for them itself instead of reading the settings and checking whether these are correct. But in this case it might boot a lot faster, but some players or disks might not be connected. Look wich players or disks are missing. These might have a problem. Test them in another pc.
- are there any conflicting system-interrupts or is everything on 'auto'? The samsung can have reordered some other interrupts to function properly.

If all this doesn't solve your problem, the bios looks right, etc., find another pc and try to switch all of your hardware step by step. Does the other pc have the same problem when you put your memory inside that one? Or does it occur when you switch the video-cards? Or the disks? Etc. etc.

Let us know if you can fix the problem!
JohanFH
imkin
I strongly believe u may just remove ur cmos .. start u pc .. shut it down after booting
put the cmos back and restart this may solve ur problem....

I hope it helped

imkin
imkin
sorry for back to back posts .. I also believe that if u have added any new hardware ... just unplug it and check it once ... uninstall the driver and try a system restore ...

-imkin
internetjobs
set your cmos settings to first boot device to your HDD, and enable fast booting...
mahaprakash
check out the spyware settings. use system mechanic soft to clear the junk files, and unwanted registry entries.if the problem persists reinstall agin
gelid
Well I would do the following.

-Download and install Avast
-Delete any uneeded programs bits of rubbish
-Change wat is loading on your startup you can hack half out.
-Run a Defrag

Personaly i would do a couple of other things but this gives a few things that should be done anyway due to the benifits that they offer to your systems speed and reliablity.
{name here}
lazyme wrote:
Maybe you have installed a lot of programs on ur system and they are executing at startup...

Goto msncofig and disable all the programs you dont require and reboot

Hope it helps...

Do NOT I stress DO NOT use msconfig to disable programs. It is only for troubleshooting, and if you use it to actually disable things you may get something that you call a memory leak when using it.