FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A doubt - AMD Athlon64 HT 3000+ or Pentium 4 2.66GHz

koolbluez
I've doubt on whether to buy

an AMD Athlon 64 HT 3000+, socket 754 processor with motherboard for 7.7k
or
a Pentium 4 2.66GHz 533MHz FSD 1MB L2 cache with motherboard for 8.1K

I'm a frequent user and do a lot of gaming and audio-video conversion...

In short; a hightime user, with my rig on for @least 14-20hrs everyday...

Need reply urrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggentttt.....
Boles Roor
The AMD for sure. That Pentium is an old piece of junk.
TheGeek
if it were me i wouldnt go with either one simply because, i have a 2.5Ghz P4 533FSB and it is the bottle neck of my system...which has 1GB of RAM and an Nvidia 5500 128MB @ 350/500.

Although the AMD is only a 3000+ which is only like a 1.8 or something Ghz processor, and i dont know whether the HT makes a significant performance improvement or not. But i know that the 3000+ is not good for a gaming rig ecspecially not the Socket754.

If i were you i would go with either one of the higher 3Ghz P4's or go with atleast a 3500+ Socket939 AMD chip. That way you wont have any performance issues for some time to come in the future.
Urahara
7.7K? Hope you don't mean you're going to pay $7700 for that system...

To answer the question, AMD64 for sure. They're much faster than Intel's P4. Though it's a Socket 754, it'll own that 2.66 GHz P4 with only 533 MHz FSB easily.

I think for audio-video converstion, at the low end of the market, Intel seems to be faster, but if you are going to game a lot, go with the AMD.
mOrpheuS
I'm pretty sure it's a Pentium D 805 dual-core processor that he is talking about.
A regular pentium 4 of those speeds is clearly out of question.

Besides, a regular pentium 4 2.66 GHz doesn't cost more than an AMD 64 3000+.

By the way, a Pentium D will easily "own" a similarly priced single core AMD in multi-threaded applications. Wink
But Pentium D 805 in particular is not very good in my opinion.
The bus speed is rather low. Infact it's the only Pentium D that has a bus speed of 533Mhz.
However, I'm unable to find any benchmarks on this processor or a direct comparison between this one and AMD single cores.

With not many current real-world applications really making good use of multiple processor cores, the AMD just may be a better option.

Another big advantage with AMD is that even the Dual-core AMD's work with the same socket 939 that the single core works with.
So if you ever upgrade to a dual core, you don't need to change your motherboard. You just flash the bios on your existing mother board and you're good to go.

My opion :
You should get atleast a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz, 800Mhz FSB) if you want to get an Intel dual core processor.
At the same time, you should get a socket 939 if you decide to go for an AMD.
You should seriously consider investing in a good motherboard if you plan to upgrade your CPU in the future.

All in all, get an AMD if you are a gamer or hardly use multi-threaded applications.

Urahara wrote:
7.7K? Hope you don't mean you're going to pay $7700 for that system...

I'm pretty sure that's INR, not USD. And only for the CPU + motherboard.
One of my friends recently asked me the same thing - he was unable to decide amongst these same two processors.
I convinced him to get an AMD 64 2800+ socket 939 version.
He liked the idea of being able to upgrade just the CPU later. Wink
koolbluez
that's INR alright....

comin to the question... i heard of AMD having heating probs... I do use my pc for 16hrs... that might cause a bit probs... esp. in India... with summer comin up... 30degree celcius right now!!!

also i do multitaskin too... runnin many applications simultaneously...

now tell me the summary
TheGeek
Iv actually heard that AMD was not the one with cooling issues...plus if you have cooling issues most mobo's come with overclocking features built in so you can also effectivly underclock if its ABSOLUTELY necessary to keep it stable, though my friend used an AMD Athalon64 in his CS server that was running linux and HLDS (linux CS server app) and it was on 24/7 with no heating problems what so ever. I still say if he goes with AMD to go with the socket 939 though because you will most deffinatly get better performance with that than with the intel or any 754 socket chip.
mOrpheuS
koolbluez wrote:
that's INR alright....

comin to the question... i heard of AMD having heating probs... I do use my pc for 16hrs... that might cause a bit probs... esp. in India... with summer comin up... 30degree celcius right now!!!

also i do multitaskin too... runnin many applications simultaneously...

now tell me the summary

Well running many applications simultaneously is not exactly the kind of thing that will really push a multicore processor to its fullest potential.

Think of it this way : if multiple processes run, each using a significant amount of CPU time ... that's when a dual core really shines.
An single core processor will easily manage things like a bunch of office apps, antivirus, browser, chat windows etc etc.

Besides, a home user should consider getting a processor that will run a single heavy application better.

From the choices that you have at the moment : get a socket 939 AMD 2800+ or a 3000+ if you can push your budget a little.

Unless of course, you plan to do video-encoding and gaming at the same time ... Rolling Eyes

Overheating is something that AMD used to be associated with, but that doesn't hold true anymore with the latest line of AMD products.
They have, infact, lower power consumption and thus run cooler than the new Pentium processors.
But don't expect anything to run very cool where you live ... my P4 reaches ~55C, my 6600GT reaches 70C while gaming in summers.
What else can you expect with an ambient temperature of 40-45C ??
My system needs a ceiling fan to remain stable ! Shocked
H3LL5P4WN
Athlon.

Although if you're buying new, the socket 754 platform is being phased out. You ought to look into a socket 939 system with either an ATI Crossfire Xpress 3200 chipset or Nvidia Nforce4 SLI X16 chipset.

As for cooling, water cooling is the only way to go. Unless you want to look into a cascade setup Twisted Evil
Boles Roor
H3LL5P4WN wrote:
Athlon.

Although if you're buying new, the socket 754 platform is being phased out. You ought to look into a socket 939 system with either an ATI Crossfire Xpress 3200 chipset or Nvidia Nforce4 SLI X16 chipset.

As for cooling, water cooling is the only way to go. Unless you want to look into a cascade setup Twisted Evil

I really doubt he would need SLI or Crossfire. You could just get the regular version of the Mobo and save alot of money.

Also, watercooling is the only way to go? I've OCed my CPU to almost 2700Ghz and I still have 28c idle temperatures. Load temp is about 44c. Watercooling is only needed for either an extreme OC or for showing off.
H3LL5P4WN
Boles Roor wrote:
H3LL5P4WN wrote:
Athlon.

I really doubt he would need SLI or Crossfire. You could just get the regular version of the Mobo and save alot of money.

Also, watercooling is the only way to go? I've OCed my CPU to almost 2700Ghz and I still have 28c idle temperatures. Load temp is about 44c. Watercooling is only needed for either an extreme OC or for showing off.

Or for extreme quiet while doing both.
dxhunter
AMD Socket 754 use AGP 8x and NO USE DUAL DDR

Socket 939 use PCI-Express 16x New platform Use Dual DDR
I think you chose Socket 939
lowman39
my expirence is that Amd out powers and preforms the intel chips becasue amd has intruduce new technology
Xeniczone
get the AMD Athlon 64 HT 3000+, socket 754 processor with motherboard for 7.7k. One it is cheaper and 2 it will out proform the pentium 4.
psycosquirrel
The AMD is the better option, but I would go with at least an AMD 3500+ socket 939 if you wish to do any sort of serious gaming. Get at least a PCI-E NVIDIA 6600LE for gaming also.

And in response to the questions of stability/temps in AMD and Intel: AMD is by far better. I used to run an AMD 2000+ and an AMD 1400+ server 24/7 for Counter Strike and for an ftp server. Both were amazing, one of which operated in a tiny plexiglass case I built:

Temperatures never got high, despite heavy loads and the PSU being completely unmounted next to it.

As for Intel, my current rig is running a P4@stock frequency of 2.0 GHz. It runs HOT, even at stock voltages. Even though it has been the most reliable processor I have ever run, I am never buying a P4 again due to the heat issues it causes. My old GeForce5700LE probably died because of the immense heat the processor gives off, even with an aftermarket hsf.