FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


The DaVinci Code - by Dan Brown






The DaVinci Code - Have you actually read it?
Yes, I have read it/am reading it/plan to read it
78%
 78%  [ 39 ]
A friend read it and filled me in.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
No, I have not read it.
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
I heard about it on the News/TV/Radio/Magazine/etc.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Never heard of it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 50

Vrythramax
I am currently reading this book and is raising many questions in my mind. I am curious to find out how many Frihosters out there have actually read the book or are working on second hand knowlege. Comments are welcome, but please don't ruin the book for any who wish to read it in the future Smile
silentpark
well i think peaple who read this book should be carefull about the information that are given.
maybe don't believe everything is true the way dan brown interpreted...

the book itself... but its for sure a book with a good amount of action tension..
and if you say you not finished yet.. i don't wnat to tell to much.. so i tell you nothing about story Razz
althalus
I take everything with a grain of salt, but it sure raises a lot of questions (as does his other books, and Angels & Demons especially).

A lot of the "facts" have been proven wrong (apparantly) but it still makes a good read imo. It's one of those books you just can't stop reading until you're finished with it. Smile
TurkishGamer
I just got the book a few days ago from the library.I started to read the first page but my procrastination habit got to me.

I read the first 9 chapters and the book is awesome. A lot of excitement and a lot of cliffhangers in this book which also intensifies to story.
gg0mjm
I loved the book. I agree everything in the book should be taken with a pinch of salt but for an imersive roller coaster ride let your self go and enjoy it Smile

Matt
Scorpio
It was a really wonderful book.

I also read all his other books. They are really good.

If anyone feels differently, I cant help it.

Guess that's because I am a book freak Very Happy
Shike
I have to agree with generall consensus of theboard. Take the historical "fact" with a grain if salt. Some of his "facts" and "proofs" have been prooven false, though if you read carefully at the beginning his (these are facts) statements pretty much literally pertain to those statments.

He does a good job of writing and keeping you interested in the story, and for anyone who is interested in alternate viewpoints, this is definately a book to read.

if you have any questions, go ahead and ask. I'm sure someone will be happy to answer.
zanzou
I just finished it a few weeks ago in preperation for the movie... was anybody else disappointed by the ending?

I really had hoped for so much more from the book. D: Just them finding it was great.. but it left me wanting more. @_@
Vrythramax
zanzou wrote:
I just finished it a few weeks ago in preperation for the movie... was anybody else disappointed by the ending?

I really had hoped for so much more from the book. D: Just them finding it was great.. but it left me wanting more. @_@



I do hope you didn't just blow the end of the book for me...I haven't finished it yet. So much for posting in the literature forum anymore Sad
zanzou
Vrythramax wrote:

I do hope you didn't just blow the end of the book for me...I haven't finished it yet.


I thought it was really random and just there. Not really integral to the plot, IMO.. but that's just me.
neotask
I just finished reading it (and again for the movie Very Happy ) but I think the ending was ... ok. I cant really think of anything more to do ... I mean, for those of you who have read it, I dont think they could have opened it. What do you think would have been a better ending? No, seriously.
Shike
zanzou wrote:
I just finished it a few weeks ago in preperation for the movie... was anybody else disappointed by the ending?

I really had hoped for so much more from the book. D: Just them finding it was great.. but it left me wanting more. @_@


It all depends on what you consider the ending. Personally I think that the ending came with the confrontation with Teabing and everything after is an epilogue.
benwhite
I enjoyed reading all of Brown's published works, and they're all pretty much the same (entertaining) read. Angels and Demons is like a less polished version of the Da Vinci Code. Most people I know like whichever one they read first better. Deception point is okay and Digital Fortress is definitely the weakest.

As for questioning things, it's all completely fiction. The only real things are the art and the geography. While it's there to keep you guessing and has an interesting premise, don't take it too seriously.
zanzou
Shike wrote:
It all depends on what you consider the ending. Personally I think that the ending came with the confrontation with Teabing and everything after is an epilogue.


:/ I had just wished we had gotten more on what was actually in the scrolls...

Though really, I was thinking the book was something TOTALLY difference when I started reading it.

In my mind, DaVinci had hidden actual TEXT messages in his pictures, not just imagery-- you know, like, look reeeal close and you'll see a bunch of words. xD I don't really know how I got onto that, but that's where I was totally going in my head.
dfreeman616
One thing that is often forgotten in discussion of the DaVinci Code is that it's written as fiction, not fact. Dan Brown himself has said that. I find it amusing that so many have latched onto his fiction and taken it to be 'gospel' almost. I haven't read it though, so I can't really comment any more than that.
zanzou
:/ For sure it's very weird that people take it as fact... I wondered more about things like "Huh. Does Venus REALLY make a pentacle in the sky?" than anything else. XD;
Sebaci
I heard about it many times, but I still don't know what it is about Razz Laughing
Mumpay
i havn't read it, but friends of mine who have don't really like it, they've all found it a bit pretentious. great ideas, but definetly pretentious.
leonlad
maybe someone know where I can find e-book of Dan Braun
i have some books but i want read in original

LT-United
MYP415
It's a great book but don't accept everything you read.
djared90
I heard a lot about it from some friends of mine, so I decided to read it for myself. I checked it out from the library, and wasn't able to put it down until I was done reading. I loved the plot twists and the suspense, and now I'm going to have to read some of his other books. Although it's true that you can't believe everything that's said in it, you have to keep in mind that it is meant to be a work of fiction.
no_face15
I never actually read the book, but I watched that History channel special about it, and what I thought was interesting is how it had the Christian scholars making in general a pretty poor case against some of the historically questionably material in the the book. After hearing them, I honestly felt that their understanding of the early Christian world wan't all that much more realistic than the one in the book. Though I haven't read it, if they picked out the worst errors in it, it's probably a pretty good work of historical fiction. Anyone interested should check that out too. I don't think there were many spoilers in it, it mainly focused on history.
dfreeman616
just because a 'scholar' is put on TV, doesn't mean he/she knows what they're talking about. my ancient history prof can make much better arguments than the ones on the history channel, and he has a dig in egypt and the DR, his specilty is the mediterrainian area.
elincinerador
that book was written to create polemic issues. there are no facts in it. brown's ideas were to earn easy money and he knew that if he wrote something against catholisism he would do it. please if someone reads it do not believe what you're reading. i think that people who liked the book liked it because they have something against catholics. that's all.
Vrythramax
zanzou wrote:
:/ For sure it's very weird that people take it as fact... I wondered more about things like "Huh. Does Venus REALLY make a pentacle in the sky?" than anything else. XD;


Absolutly, it must be taken as fiction. On a side note, The Cathoic League wants disclaimer to that fact in the movie.
maxi2k6
For the record, I'm a book snob... I tend to judge "books by their cover" (pun intended).... what I mean is that if it doesn't say "dickens", "wilde", Tolstoy", Doestoevsky", etc.... on the cover, I probably will be badly predisposed.... specially towards best sellers.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
(I do, however love some very modern fiction, like Calton Merrik III or chuck Pallaniuk (sp??).... but that's off topic).

That being said, I haven't read (yet) TDVC... However, a good friend of mine (who I trust in relation to literature) told me it was awfull. She didn't criticize the story per se, but the way it was written, everything being blatantly obvious. I think that what's most praised about the book (it being filled with hooks and being very easy to read) is what bothered her, and consequently turns me off.
The most specific criticism I remember was how everything the dude did was tied to something... I don't know how to put it, but like if dan brown dedicated a chapter to the dude walking down a street in rome its because he sees something in that street that is very important to the plot..... like there are no subtleties and he just crammed everything into as little pages as he could

Having grown reading and loving mostly 18th and 19th century novels, which almost everyone may find tedious, I fear I'm gonna hate this book.... still, it's on my waiting list (meaning I'm gonna read it sometime soon).

can anyone comment on what I said before, how the biggest selling point the book has is at the same time its biggest handicap?

(and yeah, I'm not a native speaker so forgive my engrish Wink )
Vrythramax
You certainly earned you points for that post....but did you actually read the book? Otherwise you are just another spammer.


Flame me as you wish.
maxi2k6
Vrythramax wrote:
You certainly earned you points for that post....but did you actually read the book? Otherwise you are just another spammer.


Flame me as you wish.


I ASSume you are talking about me. No, I'm not another spammer. Yes, I want a site. Yes, the only way I can get one is posting.
So I found out about this forum because of the "points" or whatever.... so what? it really caught my attention...no one seems to take books seriously these days, and I do. I'm reading one or two books a any given moment, so posting in a literature forum seemed...well... appropriate.

now that we got that out of the way... did you read my post??

Maxi2k6 wrote:

That being said, I haven't read (yet) TDVC...

I said I haven't read the book, and went on about why I haven't. I'd appreciate it if you had something constructive to say about my opinions, do you not agree?? do you find it biased???... whatever... your reply, on the other hand was just... rude.

I don't know how you treat newbies around here (after all, I've been here what? a whole day?)... if this is your way of saying welcome to the forum, then thanks Smile
softnow
I have to agree with maxi2k6, (I have read the book)

Quote:
She didn't criticize the story per se, but the way it was written, everything being blatantly obvious. I think that what's most praised about the book (it being filled with hooks and being very easy to read) is what bothered her, and consequently turns me off.


It was so obvious what the chalice(goblet) was before getting a quarter the way through the book.

I put off reading the book for 2 years, but gave in when a friend bought me a copy. The truth or not of the historical "facts" had nothing to do with the fact the book was badly written.
It only stayed at the top of the NY Time book list because of is controversial topic. Which has been around for hundreds of years and written about in many historical texts (by historians and theologians).
Vrythramax
maxi2k6 wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
You certainly earned you points for that post....but did you actually read the book? Otherwise you are just another spammer.


Flame me as you wish.


I ASSume you are talking about me. No, I'm not another spammer. Yes, I want a site. Yes, the only way I can get one is posting.
So I found out about this forum because of the "points" or whatever.... so what? it really caught my attention...no one seems to take books seriously these days, and I do. I'm reading one or two books a any given moment, so posting in a literature forum seemed...well... appropriate.

now that we got that out of the way... did you read my post??

Maxi2k6 wrote:

That being said, I haven't read (yet) TDVC...

I said I haven't read the book, and went on about why I haven't. I'd appreciate it if you had something constructive to say about my opinions, do you not agree?? do you find it biased???... whatever... your reply, on the other hand was just... rude.

I don't know how you treat newbies around here (after all, I've been here what? a whole day?)... if this is your way of saying welcome to the forum, then thanks Smile


Upon reflection my response was indeed rude...and I offer my apologies.

Yes, I did read your post in full.
maxi2k6
that's cool man....

on a related note, is anyone excited by the movie?? I gotta admit I'm pretty interested myself
Vrythramax
I am totally interested in the movie, but only to see how "Hollywood" treats it.

Can't say much else at this point. Wink

I guess we must "wait and see".
dapallox1
omg, i have been playing the Da Vinvi Code Quest on Google, that shit gets hard. lol
leftofcenter
I listened to it on tape on a car trip two summers ago. It was... okay. The mystery of it was interesting, but I found it pretty over-the-top, and honestly, kind of lame. I don't get why everyone makes such a fuss about it, really.
Vrythramax
from what I hear Dan Brown is being dragged into court to fight allegations that he plagerized somebody elses research in writing The DaVinci Code. Can you imagine how much money will be lost if he's found culpable? That movie company will sue him, his publishers will sue him, and he'll have to pay off the guy who research he stole, if he did in fact steal anything at all.

It's amazing how many people come out of the woodwork trying to ride on your achievments when you are successful at something. It would be nice if this all turns out to be untrue...sure would save Dan Brown a bundle of cash.
honestman
I do tak much of it with a pinch of salt, however, it does ge the little grey cells thinking. There is a basis of truth in a lot of the thought processes and it does bring into question a lot of 'difficult' areas that flooded my mind when I was younger.

The church has a lot of secrecy surrounding it and it leaves itself open to this type of educated fiction.
maxi2k6
To the guy who brought forth the recent trial:

He was found not guilty. The funny thing is that I think that the acussing party was the supposedly plagiarized book's (Holy blood, holy grail... I heard it was good) publishing house which is the same one that published..... you guessed it: The da vinci code!!!!!!
Vrythramax
maxi2k6 wrote:
To the guy who brought forth the recent trial:

He was found not guilty. The funny thing is that I think that the acussing party was the supposedly plagiarized book's (Holy blood, holy grail... I heard it was good) publishing house which is the same one that published..... you guessed it: The da vinci code!!!!!!



the same publisher huh? hmmm...the whole thing is kinda sounding like a media stunt to help sell the book/movie now. I wonder what the courts had to say when they found that little tidbit out....oh wait, I know what they said..."Case Dismissed".

thanks for the clarification maxi2k6...it gives me something to think about Cool
honestman
the guys who brought about the court case were rather silly. I have read them all and the Holy Grail was a historical fiction and nothing more. dan Browns was a very well constructed piece of historical fiction. The guys who lost the case actually made over 1 million pounds from Dan Brown's book and then squandered over taking him to court - how stupid. They never had a chance as Dan Brown had always said that he used theirs and a number of other books for the Da Vinci Code.

Some folks are just too greedy.
Vrythramax
agreed honestman, it's amazing how many people come out of the woodwork to "share" in another persons success. I am of the opinion that if this was all a publicity stunt then someone should be penalized in some way..if for nothing than wasting the Courts time and playing the public as fools. If not, then I hope this all helps sell the book...Dan Brown should get some kind of compensation if he was wronged...but to be honest, it all sounds kind of fishy to me.
Vrythramax
there seems to be much consternation over this subject in a couple of different forums over this book and the subject matter itself, so I have done some looking around and found other related titles that may help shed some light on where the facts stop and the fiction starts with Dan Brown's book.

The Da Vinci Code DeCoded - by Martin Lunn
Truth and Fiction in the Da Vinci Code - by Bart D. Ehrman
The Templar Revelation - by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince
Mysteries of Templar Treasure & The Holy Grail - by Lionel & Patricia Fanthorpe
Da Vinci Decoded - by Michael J. Gelb
Opus Dei - by John L. Allen Jr.

Most of these books predate Dan Brown's work and are actual historical references....the truth of them I can't attest to. Just trying to provide other sources of available information.
todabeat
I have read this book a couple of months back, i do have to say i loved this book, i wasn't much of a ready back 8 months ago, and since i've read that book, i've started reading more, including Angels & Demons by Dan brown, but it isn't as good as the davinci code.

I do believe most of his idea written on that book, just becuase of the fact, that the church or anyone else don't have real proof, to disprove this topic. I do have a strong feelin' that the church hides a lot of things, that they may say we aren't 'ready' for, or just don't want to tell becuase it will sink the church, and may create a worldwide chaos.
Vrythramax
todabeat wrote:
I do believe most of his idea written on that book, just becuase of the fact, that the church or anyone else don't have real proof, to disprove this topic. I do have a strong feelin' that the church hides a lot of things, that they may say we aren't 'ready' for, or just don't want to tell becuase it will sink the church, and may create a worldwide chaos.


todabeat...please do not misread this post, I am not condoning the actions of the Roman Catholic Church (of which I am a member). I agree that many things have been hidden from the public by the Church, and I agree totally that for those things to come to light now would rock the Church to it's foundations, but what must be considered is the people that have faith in God and still need the Church as a focal point in thier lives. To some this may be construed as a weakness, I myself am not among them, I see it more as a "congragation" (spelling?), which is what I think it was meant to be in the first place. For the Church to come clean at this late stage could, and [possibly] would, be a devastating mistake. What difference could it possibly make if the general public knew of the short-comings of the Church they love. In truth, I think the only people who be interested, or quite possibly believe any such plea of "Guilty as Charged", would be the opponants of the church and religion in general. To force someone to question thier faith, it matters not if that faith is towards God or the Church itself (as far as I am concerned the two are not mutually exclusive of each other)...the end result is the same, for matters that happened centuries ago is, IMHO completely unfair.

Dan Brown's book was indeed entertaining, and to some disturbing, but the fact remains it has sold like crazy.
todabeat
I do agree, with you. I was only sharing my opinion. But it's all good, lets not get mad or anything. I do appriciate that you read my post and gave me some feed back.

But on the other hand, I think that it sucks for strong believers to be lied to. I mean i know i would feel like $h!t. Wouldn't you. To be betreayed by something so holy/strong for a person isn't right. it isn't what god himselft would want. just me.

btw- name is Will
Vrythramax
todabeat wrote:
I do agree, with you. I was only sharing my opinion. But it's all good, lets not get mad or anything. I do appriciate that you read my post and gave me some feed back.

But on the other hand, I think that it sucks for strong believers to be lied to. I mean i know i would feel like $h!t. Wouldn't you. To be betreayed by something so holy/strong for a person isn't right. it isn't what god himselft would want. just me.

btw- name is Will


todabeat...Will,

I certainly did not get angry over your post, quite the contrary, I would not have started this thread if I didn't expect some differing views...and I welcomed them from the start. I also agree with you that it sucks that this kind of er...(here we go, smoke a turd in purgatory Max) lies continue, but as a US citizen, I am really kind of used to lies from those in power. To be completely honest with you, I am not exactly sure if I honestly want to know what my government or Church is up to behind the scenes. Yes, there is great knowlege in knowing what is going on, and it a great topic of conversation....but there is much to be said for "blissfull ignorance" also.
I know I am opening myself up to the "flame-mongers" out there by saying that, but the fact remains that sometimes we don't have to know the "big picture" to be included in it. I was a dedicated member of the Military for more years than I care to count, I did not concern myself with the orders of my superior (unless of course they conflicted with what I knew to be right and wrong), I just did my duty and followed those orders. If some may look at that as a sign of weakness or ignorance, then that is of course your choice, what you must remember is that what works for me doesn't have to work for you.

Nice post todabeat, very cool....kudos Cool
The Philosopher Princess
Hi, everyone! I have read this book. It was one of the few recently that I read very fast, as it was so intriguing. I could see myself getting into some discussions with people on the book’s content, how realistic some of the things in it are or are not, etc.

However, it’s not going to be interesting for me unless the discussers have all, already, read the book. (I don’t really want to be worried about giving something away, and it defeats the purpose to get the opinions of those who haven’t read it.)

So, if someone ever starts a thread that is strictly for people who have already read the book -- and this “requirement” is said boldly up-front in the topic’s first post -- maybe someone will be so kind as to notify me.

I will say that I’m looking forward to seeing the movie but that might be a long time down the road.

I will also say for those who are contemplating reading it, I highly recommend it. Very Happy Happy reading!
todabeat
I really don't have much to say now Max, i mean our views are out there. But I do only wich that we COUOLD have answers. I know some people are just Fine with taking orders and they just 'Agree' with some type of belief. But there is some lucky out there that KNOW that they have a chooise, when it comes to picking what exactly you want to believe in.

For example I do believe that as human beings we want to find out new, more things. And we are always looking for our means, or some may call it 'the truth'/
hehe! Very Happy
Vrythramax
todabeat wrote:
I really don't have much to say now Max, i mean our views are out there. But I do only wich that we COUOLD have answers. I know some people are just Fine with taking orders and they just 'Agree' with some type of belief. But there is some lucky out there that KNOW that they have a chooise, when it comes to picking what exactly you want to believe in.

For example I do believe that as human beings we want to find out new, more things. And we are always looking for our means, or some may call it 'the truth'/
hehe! Very Happy


ahhh...truth...now there's an elusive critter. One persons "truth" may be anothers "lie". It's a sad state of affairs when we have to define what is the truth. You are sooo correct though, one persons belief can easily be anothers blasphamy (sp.?)

Even when taking orders there is still free will involved...I know in my heart while I was in the miltary, if I was given the order to shoot a child...the person giving the order was in danger of being shot themself.

It's not so much a matter of following orders my friend as following what you know to be right...the text of a book is secondary...at best. If you ask a question then you must be seeking knowlege...very cool indeed. Honestly...I found no "answers" in this book....only more questions that may never actually be answered to my understanding. Sad
todabeat
But knowing what it really is, (any subject) that would mean life would be really boring, nothing to expect becuase the truth had been said.
Soulfire
The book itself is not true, it's a work of fiction (and many people are confused about it). There are so many "conspiracy-hunters" who live to uncover huge conspiracies within major establishments (The Church, for example). I think with advocates as strong as those said conspiracy-hunters, they convince people that everything is truth in the book.

There's almost a cult-like following forming around this work of imagination.

While it may be "based" on fact, it's very simple to take the truth and greatly distort it. He may have based the novel on an archeological dig somewhere, but he (using the power of the pen) has the option to say exactly what that archeological dig uncovered.

Overall, I don't think it's that much of an anti-Christian book. I think it's a great read, and fictional
Shuragawa
i read the book this year after hearing about it so much and my college professor talking about it everyday and teh movie coming out.i read it and i loved it even though its only fiction. silias was such a great character even though he was bad.
palavra
todabeat wrote:


I do believe most of his idea written on that book, just becuase of the fact, that the church or anyone else don't have real proof, to disprove this topic. I do have a strong feelin' that the church hides a lot of things, that they may say we aren't 'ready' for, or just don't want to tell becuase it will sink the church, and may create a worldwide chaos.


maybe "church" hides something....

but this is not only about "church"

we -muslims- also did not like the idea of married Jesus.

it against our belief.
i read all the previous books of the writer, i liked them
they are very interesting and useful( especially for art students)

i think a writer should be very careful when he/she writes about holy things.
Vrythramax
@palavra

I'm not sure there is any religion that really accepts the idea the Jesus may have been married, or worse (to some), that he may have been involved with a woman outside of marriage. I could certainly be wrong about how some religions view this matter, I am no expert...but you must admit that the topic has sold alot of books, so there are alot of people out there that are willing to at least read about the subject. Dan Brown was not the first author to aproach this idea, simply the most recent and most publicized one.
Related topics
best booke in your mind
[OFFICIAL] What are you currently reading?
Da Vinci Code
Can you offer me a fiction book for book report?
Your favourite book (official)
Don Brown - The Da Vinci Code FOR and AGAINST
Any Dan Brown Fans?
New Digital Fortress from Dan Brown
Dan Brown
Dan Brown
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
The DaVinci code this the DaVinci code that....
DAN BROWN's THE DAVINCI CODE. DO YOU KNOW A LITERARY REVIEW?
Antimatter
Angels and Demons VS. The DaVinci Code
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Literature

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.