FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Make my website beautiful and fast: HOW?

thea
Idea

Hi

Please share some ideas of how to make my website both look beautiful and load fast so ones who need helps can get your good ideas from this post.

Cheers

Thea
Scorpio
To make a website load fast, reduce the content of graphics like flash
Try and avoid gifs.

Use simple templates if you are using one
Make the website easy on the eye.
Use proper complementary colors.
Dont use discordant colors
Dont use popups
Dont certainly use tables unless you are experienced
Space the contents out properly
try avoiding active content as they may not be compatible with all computers.
e.g. Scrollers etc.
Marston
I wouldn't necessarily say avoid GIFs - what you really want to aim for is small, small image filesizes; no matter what the format.

I would reccomend using CSS to design your site: it's fast, and really efficient.
Assiez
You could build a fantastically beautiful site made from one table and a bunch of images but that would take ages to load on a slow connection. I would recommend trying out inserting tables into tables and using cell spacing for border designs and such. I did one and in my opinion I think it looks very nice. If I had it hosted somewhere I'd show you, but sadly it isn't. And yes definitely use proper CSS.
Panrac
No tables!
They are completely useless for layout if you're really using CSS. There's nothing you can do with tables that you wouldn’t be able to do with CSS. And using CSS is much more pleasant.

Using Tables for your layout is the easiest way to make your site slow.
Kur0
I agree with ^ CSS is truly brilliant when it comes to create fast loading, clean looking web pages with . There are loads of guides, example versions and free fluid CSS templates that stretch to the content that is inserted into them. I use this type of layout in 99% of my designs. It also helps simplify the code somewhat so things are easier to find and its not so confusing for the inexperienced web deisgner.
littlegiant
Panrac wrote:
No tables!
They are completely useless for layout if you're really using CSS. There's nothing you can do with tables that you wouldn’t be able to do with CSS. And using CSS is much more pleasant.

Try making a 3 column tableless design that runs the full height of the browser viewport regardless of how much content, has a header and a footer and... AND... (the first part was easy, now comes the kicker)... has borders around all the columns AND has a space in between the borders simulating cellspacing in table design. Oh and of course it has to look pixel-perfect in IE, Firefox and Opera. Yeah sure, you may be able to pull it off but you'll definitely have second thoughts about how well tableless designs match up to the use of tables.

Panrac wrote:
Using Tables for your layout is the easiest way to make your site slow.

I think it's negligible how much the use of tables in your design will slow down your page load if you keep the amount of nested tables to a minimum.

----------------------

That being said, I'm not pro-table design nor pro-tableless design. I've used both extensively. I think one should use whatever works best for them and the situation they're confronted with. I mean, let's face it... most users don't give a flying crap whether you're using tables or pure CSS to make your web page. They just want to see something that works. Right?
LukeakaDanish
Use gradient everywhere...gradients is what makes most nice pages nice...

You can also have small filesizses if you save a 1*100 image as png and then scale them using css...

Reuse your images...

meh...

those are my tips for now...