FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which linux ditribution? Which filesystem?

Which Distribution?
Ubuntu
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
Suse
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Mandriva
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Fedora
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Mepis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Damn Small
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Debian (I know they use old kernels)
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Knoppix
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Gentoo
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Slackware
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
FreeBSD
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

solarwind
Which linux distribution, in your opinion is the best?

Ubuntu
Suse
Mandriva
Fedora
Mepis
Damn Small
Debian
Knoppix
Gentoo
Slackware
FreeBSD

Which filesystem, in your opionion is the best?
Ext2
Ext3
ReiserFS
JFS
NTFS

...And why???? I am trying to make a decision as to what distribution I sould try next as I got bored of my old one. I would also like to find out what filesystem I should use.

I know that Ubuntu Is a good choice and I can't wait for the next release but I need a lot of feedback to decide.
Assiez
I'm a mainly windows user, but since no one else has replied, I might as well.

I personally have used Debain and found it to be ok, not amazing but good enough. One of my friends is a Gentoo fan while another one loves Ubuntu.

My opinion is that they're all perfectly enough for regular people, the small differences wouldn't affect one's use of it that greatly. But then again, I use XP mainly so meh.

And for file system, I always use NTFS, don't know why, that was just how I was taught. Hmm...
nox-Hand
I use Gentoo, but I just downloaded FreeBSD, so I'll give that a go soon Very Happy

nox-hand
Kur0
The only Linux distro I have tried is Unbuntu, I found it quick and reliable and pretty useful. I was running it as a dual boot with windows and found the fresh looking operating system pretty fun to use. If i were to go back to Linux again I would use Kubuntu, the KDE version of Unbuntu from what i've seen of the KDE DUI i think i Like it much more than GNOME. I think I used the Ext3 filesystem with it. At the moment though i wouldnt go back to Linux as the lack of good, compatible programs and good games made it kinda boring.
mOrpheuS
I'm also mainly a windows users.
But being adventurous, I have used all but one distros that you have up on that list, and many more ... Very Happy

My vote goes to Slackware - nothing, just being a perfectionist.
and ext2 - I do really care about the journaling overheads, but not so much about the reliability "boost" journaling offers.

BTW, thread moved in from General Chat section.
surdy
The first LInux OS is encountered was RedHat 9 , since then i have been in love with Linux , and Fedora Core being based on RH was the obvious choice for me.
I presently use Fedora Core 4 with EXT3 File System
Kur0
I just discovered DesktopBSD:

http://www.desktopbsd.net/index.php?id=31

it looks pretty good and was realeased just 3 days ago. It made the front page of digg.com too Smile Maybe you should add it to your list

Screenshots here:
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=604&slide=1
abhishek_2410
mandrake is good i use it
AftershockVibe
I'd recommend Ubuntu, just because it's a lot simpler to shift to straight from windows. Don't even attempt Gentoo unless you really want to jump in at the deep end and have a VERY good understanding of how operating systems work.

As for filesystem, I'd say either Ext3 or Ext2. ReiserFS and JFS aren't really that mature and don't really offer any significant advantage over Ext3 for a Desktop. NTFS drivers for Linux are read only I believe (as MS won't release the docs) so that's a no no.

As said above, Ext3 is Ext2 with journaling which means the file system is more tolerant of errors (like hitting the reset button in the middle of things) but is slightly slower. Not that you'd notice!
desertwind
I presently use Fedora Core 5 with ext3 filesystem
{name here}
Get FreeBSD. It'll take a bit to set everything up in the beginning after you installed(such as KDE and the sound system), but after that it is a great Operating System, though a bit irritating when it comes to permissions and access to drives via the X-Windows system, though. I don't see why a BSD is in a Linux poll, as BSDs are hardcore UNIX. Linux is the easy route, so if you want a Linux distro, get Fedora Core 5. It would be much easier to setup compared to FreeBSD, but at the end of the day it isn't as satisfying IMO...

As for filesystems, in several Linux distros and BSD, you're stuck with one file system. For most linux distros and some BSDs this would be ext3, but FreeBSD uses it's own special filesystem.

Debian is a no-no if you want an up to date Desktop Environment preinstalled. Sarge comes with KDE 2.x last time I checked while FreeBSD 6 comes with KDE 3.x. Both were installed near the same time period.
severedshadow
I use yoper who state it as the fastest distro of linux. I love it. Yea the install of appz really sucks because it's basically all about building from source. Even tho it supports rpm they never work. It run on a 500 mhz processor which is a real nice base for it. Hopfully tho i'll get like a 2.7 near the middle of this year.
randomaccess
I started with ubuntu. But i found it hard to use. So i went to SUSE. SUSE is very easy to use and is also very powerful. Applications are easy to install with YAST
Zuwiki
I have been using Debian for the past few months, but before that I used Slackware. After switching to Debian, I thought I might as well try out some other distros. So, actually in just the last 2 days, I installed and tested VectorLinux, Fedora Core 5, and SimplyMEPIS. I also attempted Gentoo, but compiling was not finished when I had to leave for Seattle. Rolling Eyes Probably not the best time to be installing any OS.

I didn't really like VL or MEPIS, but FC was alright.

For Filesystems, I used Ext3 on Debian, then tried out ReiserFS for the rest.
ocalhoun
SuSE is the very best.
For the lack of knowing just what the difference is, I always use rieserFS.
redice
Why say debian use old kernel? Debian have multi kernel images with all popular stable kernel. I use debian(unstable) for a long time, update software once a week( both from official or un-official site), all software keep neweast version. You may choose what ever kernel version you like from debian packages resp or build yourself.

Debian default installer will install old version (2.4.x or even older) of the kernel, but you may have a choose before install for a newer kernel or update kernel whenever you like after installed.
Nolt
only and 4ever ubuntu Razz why? cuz its very stable have very very good support, lot of ppl use ubuntu and worrking good not like other distros sometimes slow Very Happy about filesystem i use ext3 and fat32 in windows Smile i not use this unstable (4 now) rw for ntfs cuz i worry i lost my data or crash my hdd RazzRazz
sircrojicek
I've tried many differents distributions, and the two distros i've really liked are ubuntu, because of the really amazing devices support, the only thing is ubuntu doesn't have a root user, but now i'm running FC5, after a while trying to configure my wifi card, I finally have a really powerfull and well tuned FC installation.
About filesystems, i've used only ext3, just because I don't know the difference between each other...
cyph33r
Fedora is great - built from Redhat expertise and very stable and easy to use Have just released Fedora Core 5.
Moe479
Tryed (K)Ubuntu for while, pretty easy .. somthing for linux-newbs like me, sadly games not run well if not written for linux so i still need the noobish windows Smile
varun_dodla
I have alwayz used Red hat 9.....I'm not a computer gek but have felt that quite confortable and with the KDesktopE nvironment it even looks better and has added features as clipboard similar to windows.

I feel ext3 is the best of all.Its secure and also the recovery is easy I guess (never had a chance though).