FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Avid Posting vs. Spamming

Vrythramax
I know the Frihost Moderation & Administration Team(s) have laid out clear rules and guildines for posting in the Forum Rules and The Guidelines to Make Quality Posts...but what actually is the criteria for determining if a poster is and "Avid Poster" or a "Spammer"?

I see some users posting large quantities of posts by posting 2 or 3 word posts, 1 short sentence, or in some cases just a "smiley", and they seem nothing more than attempts at either driving up thier total post counts or raising thier point levels to get up to standard by posting quantity as opposed to quality. I myself am guilty of posting very short replies on occasion, but I don't just post to every topic that's available simply because it's there. Is the designation "Spam" a judgement call on the moderators, or is there a set of guidelines moderators use (other than the ones already mentioned)?

Just curious.
n0obie4life
Yes, we use a secret set of guidelines that nobody but we know for account creation Wink
Vrythramax
err...maybe I should have worded that a little better Confused

Your reply n0obie should have the "Conspiracy Theory" paranoids running rampant for awhile.

*looking both ways carefully to see if Big Brother is watching*
n0obie4life
It's not a conspirancy Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Is the designation "Spam" a judgement call on the moderators, or is there a set of guidelines moderators use (other than the ones already mentioned)?

I was answering that question.

Quote:
but what actually is the criteria for determining if a poster is and "Avid Poster" or a "Spammer"?

I answered that with my top-secret reply Very Happy.
alkady
Who doesnt post short replies, You just cant expect all topics or discussions to be possible to have a full essay worth of saying.

As long as it continues a discussion isnt that enought?

I do know that the Forum ask for Quality, But how is it possible to always have quality?
DoctorBeaver
I tend to agree with Alkady. I know some of my posts turn into mammoth epistles, but I also post short replies. For instance, if someone asks where a certain piece of software can be downloaded I'll just put something like "Try here" with the url.

I've also been guilty a few times, although I don't think I've done it here, of merely posting a smiley. Sometimes a simple emote can convey many words.

As for what constitutes quality - that's a difficult 1. On 1 forum I use a lot there was someone whose posts often ran to 4 or 5 screen pages. At first glance you may think they were quality posts. In fact they were complete and utter nonsense - most of it cut & pasted from very dubious sources which, when investigated, had "scam" written all over them.

With my own posts, I try to be fairly concise yet unambiguous, and I also try to take into account the fact that not everyone speaks perfect English.
Soulfire
I guess an avid poster makes actual contributions to the discussion, whereas a spammer just posts anything... excessive smileys, quotes without tags, etc.
alkutob
alkady wrote:
Who doesnt post short replies, You just cant expect all topics or discussions to be possible to have a full essay worth of saying.

As long as it continues a discussion isnt that enought?

I do know that the Forum ask for Quality, But how is it possible to always have quality?

Yes ... Alkady is right .

And I want to say that I can consider some essay topics as spams when you find it without any soul but away to talk and to gain points .

I think some other guidelines must be taken into consideration as n0obie4life said

thank you
Garnet
I think the short replies are fine, unless they're the ones with one-word answers to a previous post. I've seen people post conversations the same way they would talk in person, that's probably the wrong kind of post.

If you're providing a link, that's still helping to convey a message. I think it might be worse to have paragraphs full of the same basic statement - no one wants to read pages full of repetition.
alkady
SoulFire is right on this one, An Avid Poster would join the discussion in many forms such as giving his/her opinion, offer solutions ect... A small reply can be more than enough to make a diferrence.

On the other hand, A person who cut and paste is not always a spammer, Sometimes when others want to help and yet they have no experience or knowledge in the domain, They tend to google the subject and post what they find. Some do it intentionally, But atleast they put the thought of helping someone by googling it. Isnt that what this forum is perhaps about? Helping others?

Of course there will be spammer, People who just try and spike their post tally, Those should banned, But those guys are rare, I havent seen one yet but I dont understand what difference it will make if you have 1 post or 1000 post, There is no respect in it? What do they gain in wasting their time? They really have no life at all.

But its human nature I guess to be better than others. Luckily for this forum having 1000 post wont permit you to gain anything except a title. I remembered this one forum I used to post on a few years ago but shut down offered a moderator position for active members in the top 10. I would see people posting like crazy to become moderator, I admit even myself I tried getting that job, Too bad back then I had to go to sleep at 10:00.
Code of Ruin
If you want quality posts then it is best just to say what matters. Sometimes it may be a little more, sometimes a little less. Spammers tend to go on about plain nonsense for quite a long time while the avid posters mostly have some humor but then cut to the chase.
Greeny
To me somone who does spam is, someone who just post on every post, even if they don't know what the person means or even just getting their post count up.

There just someone who is bored to death and can't think of anything to keep their mind at bay.

They use one words or even smiles to post.