FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NFL Draft

mrblah
Ok so it looks like Reggie Bush is a lock as the #1 pick. Does anybody thnk Matt Leinert won't be the #2 pick? I think he'll still go #2. I think Vince Young is still way too much of a question mark.
jveezy
I doubt Matt Leinart will go #2 since the Saints signed Brees. Unless they trade that pick.

Leinart won't drop further than #3 where Norm Chow would be crazy to pass on his former disciple.
chucky959
I am hoping that the Titans are stupid and select Young or Cutler with the #3 pick. The Jets could really use Leinart at #4. Also, you might see the Jets trade up to the number 2 slot to pick Leinart and then the Saints will be able to still get D'Brickashaw (who they were likely going to get anyway) with the #4 pick.
lyndonray
I think Reggie Bush will be number 1, Young number 2 and Leinart number 3. It should all be fun though. I wish we could all see the behind the scenes dealing and counter-dealing like in Jerry Mcguire. But then it would be behind the scenes then, would it?
MYP415
I think Vince Young will drop to the 4th pick (Jets) and they'll take him because of the uncertainty with Pennington. That is what I hope happens also because I am a Jets fan (and a Vince young fan).
mrblah
MYP415 wrote:
I think Vince Young will drop to the 4th pick (Jets) and they'll take him because of the uncertainty with Pennington. That is what I hope happens also because I am a Jets fan (and a Vince young fan).

I think GMs and scouts are losing faith in Young. I bet the Jets take Cutler if they go QB. I don't know why everybody thinks Cutler is so great. He didn't look that great at the Senior bowl. It's fun to see the Jets fans on draft day. They always or mosltly get screwed over. Maybe the Jets will pick a punter with the first rounder!
Michael Wilson
This is all assuming that noone trades down. My pick is that there will be at least one draft traded in the top 5. Also further down look for teams to make late picks in order to avoid salary threshholds.
Northgatebaseball
Well, we all know that reggie bush will go number 1 to the texans, but now the rest of the draft is kinda cloudy. Since the Saints got Drew Brees, I can see them taking Mario Williams, a defensive end from North Carolina Sate if they cant trade down.
Michael Wilson
I hope that Greenbay can get Mario, We haven't had a top level D End since Reggie White.
Phil
As a big Saints fan (Hey Check out my Saints site.....link at the bottom!) I am SOOOOO looking forward to this season. Now that Haslett's gone, every move they make looks good!
As far as the draft, I really hope they don't trade their pick away. The top 5 or 6 players available have the potential of really being some major play-makers in the years to come. It would be really good to have at least one of them. Really anyone of them.
ignitionnight
Well Denver has pick #15 and pick #22. I have NO IDEA what they want to do at those spots. A lot of people have them going with a reciever at #15 and either a defensive end or a runningback at #22.

Denver did just sign Kernard Lang at defensive end, he is a little more athletic than Trevor Pryce was, but still nothing too special. Denver needs a playmaker at Defensive end, and the one I like the most is Mario Williams. I wouldn't be upset if Denver traded #15, #22, and maybe a player to New Orleans for #2 to land Super Mario. Not sure if that will happen though, New Orleans needs an offensive lineman to ensure the protection of Drew Brees so they will probably go with D'Brackshaw Ferguson. Although if Winston Justice's stock drops a little bit to around the 15th pick they could swing the trade because another first round talent and Justice may be more valuable than D'Brackshaw Ferguson.

Another trade I wouldn't object to is trading the #15, and #22 to San Fransico for #6 and a 3rd rounder. This would give Denver the chance at picking up Mario if he falls, or grabbing Vernon Davis, a TE with a great future.
Michael Wilson
While Matt Leinart is the most NFl ready quaterback, Vince young has the most potential. Matt will go first because teams with high picks need a QB now. If Favre would stop hold the pack to ransom they could sign Vince as a back up QB and buld for 3-4 away.
redsox
Vince Young may drop a lot more than people expect. He is not someone who can step in and start right away, at least not at quarterback. No one is denying his athletic skills, but he might be just a slightly better Randall Cunningham. He doesn't seem to be Michael Vick, anyway.

If NFL teams drafted sanely, he would be a bottom 1st round pick. But since they don't, I'm betting that he'll go in the top 8.
rip8fan1
Michael Wilson wrote:
While Matt Leinart is the most NFl ready quaterback, Vince young has the most potential. Matt will go first because teams with high picks need a QB now. If Favre would stop hold the pack to ransom they could sign Vince as a back up QB and buld for 3-4 away.

Why would the Pack want to spend the money on Vince, since they drafted Aaron Rodgers last year??
rip8fan1
redsox wrote:
Vince Young may drop a lot more than people expect. He is not someone who can step in and start right away, at least not at quarterback. No one is denying his athletic skills, but he might be just a slightly better Randall Cunningham. He doesn't seem to be Michael Vick, anyway.

If NFL teams drafted sanely, he would be a bottom 1st round pick. But since they don't, I'm betting that he'll go in the top 8.

Oakland Raiders are apparently in love with Young, and they may draft him, and have him learn the ropes one year behind Aaron Brooks, then lead them next year. Him and Randy Moss together could be a good thing.
mrblah
rip8fan1 wrote:
redsox wrote:

Oakland Raiders are apparently in love with Young, and they may draft him, and have him learn the ropes one year behind Aaron Brooks, then lead them next year. Him and Randy Moss together could be a good thing.

Oakland would be the perfect place for him but I doubt they take him. It makes too much sense. They always take the strangest picks. It's like Al Davis uses a dart board for picking draft picks.
Michael Wilson
Ted Thompson has young in his sights. If Favre retires the salary cap becomes a salaray 10 gallon hat for green bay. They have moeny to spend. Although Favre wants quick wins , Packers front office are looking for long term viability. Vince Young could be the player who keeps them compeditive and attracts other players fopr the next 10 years. Rogers can not do that.

If they do have faith in Rodgers they will sign a Denfensive lineman to sure up the run. If they can do this (and retain a few players who have talked up leaving!!) the defense will become one of the better D's in the league.
ignitionnight
redsox wrote:

Randall Cunningham is leaps and bounds above Michael Vick. Vick is not that good of a Quarterback. He is dynamic, flashy, and an awesome physical specimine, but is slightly below average as far as being a quarterback is concerned.

I don't see how everyone saw what Vince Young did in the Rose Bowl and jumped all over him as the second comming. Then because he didn't work out at the combine all the sudden he is a "project." This guy has top 5 talent, and I don't care who drafts him, he will make that team better.
redsox
You are right in that Cunningham's peak years are better than what Vick has done so far. I guess what I was referring to was more raw physical talent.

I see Young coming into the NFL and struggling, much like Vick. He's a better pure passer, but not as gifted an athlete.
CWFwrestling
I think Young will be like a cross between Kordell Stewart and Mike Vick. Great runner (Vick and to a lesser extent a younger Stewart), terrible passer(both), and great leader (neither). He's basically the typical black QB, and I don't mean that in a derogotory way. They are pretty much all great runners with strong arms who aren't accurate and can't read defenses. Leftwich is the exception of course, he's an old style QB. I think Culpepper is probably the best of the bunch so long as he has a great deep threat WR. Chris Leak from Florida could be the best of the bunch in next year's draft though.
jveezy
Ooooooh! Reggie Bush is no longer going No. 1! WOW.

It's not exactly a bad move considering how bad Houston's o-line is so it's not like he's gonna get any blocking anyways.

Now does New Orleans take him? They have Deuce McAllister already but he's coming off a season-long injury and they just signed Brees to a huge contract so I don't know how much cap money they have left.

That would drop him to Tennessee who has Chris Brown already and probably needs a quarterback before a running back and will probably take Leinart.

That would leave him with the Jets. Curtis Martin's one of those guys that you just watch and you can't believe how good he still is, but he's not getting any younger and one day he will break down eventually. Mix it up with a little Bush every now and then and all of a sudden, Chad Pennington isn't getting hammered all the time.

I can't possibly see Bush dropping past No. 4 but if he does, I'm pretty sure the Packers will snatch him.

And I can only pray that he'll drop to No. 6 where my Niners will take him and not be able to pay him.

Imagine that. Only a few weeks ago this guy was the second coming of Barry Sanders. And now there's actually hope that he'll drop to No. 6 all because of failed contract negotiations.

It's only proof that money is a double edged sword.
Phil
Gosh, I hope the Saints don't take Bush. We already have Deuce and really need SO much help everywhere else. I'm hoping they take A.J. Hawk. It's no secret we need some defensive help..... BAD.
But all things considered, if the Saints do take Bush, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
mrblah
Phil wrote:
Gosh, I hope the Saints don't take Bush. We already have Deuce and really need SO much help everywhere else. I'm hoping they take A.J. Hawk. It's no secret we need some defensive help..... BAD.
But all things considered, if the Saints do take Bush, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Looks like the Saits couldn't resist. Maybe they'll trying and use Duce and Bush together. I think Sean Payton as a Giants offensive cord tried to do that kind of think with Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne. That didn't work out too well. Maybe Bush will help sell some tickets.
xuzhiwei
Bush is really dynamic. They can line him up on the outside or in the slot, or he could be a change of pace guy when Deuce gets a blow. Don't forget that he also returns kicks and punts. He's probably worth an additional 10 yards on kick off returns and punts. If they can find a way to get him at least 15 touches a game, he'll be able to show how much of a difference maker he is.
Phil
Quote:

Looks like the Saits couldn't resist. Maybe they'll trying and use Duce and Bush together. I think Sean Payton as a Giants offensive cord tried to do that kind of think with Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne. That didn't work out too well. Maybe Bush will help sell some tickets.

The more I think about this pick, the more I can live with it. I would have rather them taken Hawk, but I need to face the facts- The Saints need help EVERYWHERE!. So, why not take the best player in the draft? At least we can have some offensive productivity which hopefully turn into touchdowns.
Deuce already had some comments, says he knows Bush can help the team and looks forward to playing with him.
Deuce is a really a class guy. The NFL needs more players like him.
NjRocket
Some of these picks surpised me. I wasnt expecting Matt Leinart to go 10th to the Arizona Cardinals. Arizona is going to have antoine boldin, edgerin james, and now leinart. He fell into a good part. As for Bush, i thought for sure Houston was going to with him. That surprised me.
gh0stface
NjRocket wrote:
Some of these picks surpised me. I wasnt expecting Matt Leinart to go 10th to the Arizona Cardinals. Arizona is going to have antoine boldin, edgerin james, and now leinart. He fell into a good part. As for Bush, i thought for sure Houston was going to with him. That surprised me.

See, I don't know why Houston would want Reggie Bush when they already have a good work horse, Dominic Davis. If they Houston really wants to improve, they need to bolster their offensive line. A poor offensive line isn't going to help Reggie Bush even if he did goto the Texans.
jveezy
mrblah wrote:
Maybe they'll trying and use Duce and Bush together. I think Sean Payton as a Giants offensive cord tried to do that kind of think with Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne. That didn't work out too well.

That's because Ron Dayne is not very good. Two backs is useless if only one of them is a threat. Imagine. They can hand off to Deuce. Pitch to Reggie. Or Brees can throw it to Stallworth or Horn. So many threats to worry about!

Of course that's quite a few paychecks to worry about too.
mrblah
jveezy wrote:
mrblah wrote:
Maybe they'll trying and use Duce and Bush together. I think Sean Payton as a Giants offensive cord tried to do that kind of think with Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne. That didn't work out too well.

That's because Ron Dayne is not very good. Two backs is useless if only one of them is a threat. Imagine. They can hand off to Deuce. Pitch to Reggie. Or Brees can throw it to Stallworth or Horn. So many threats to worry about!

Of course that's quite a few paychecks to worry about too.

Not just the paychecks. The egos have to be a factor also. What running back wants only 15-20 carries a game, especially when a lot of backs and players have all those incentive packages based on performance. I think even with Bush as a #2 pick, he's going to sell some tickets.
NjRocket
gh0stface wrote:

See, I don't know why Houston would want Reggie Bush when they already have a good work horse, Dominic Davis. If they Houston really wants to improve, they need to bolster their offensive line. A poor offensive line isn't going to help Reggie Bush even if he did goto the Texans.

Oh yea, i see your point, but when your the houston texans, you take the best player in the draft. You don't bypass the best player in the draft, whose going to be unbelievable at rb, especially with his blocking and such for a ol. I dont know, its a tough move, hopefully it works out for them/
LoSKoP
I've only been in the US for just over 6 months (enough to have caught all of last season NFL) so I'm not all that familiar with the players and teams - only what I've heard on SportsCenter and ESPN and so on.

I realise Reggie Bush was a big part of the draft but who do you think - in the end with all the picks said and done - will be the most influencial to their new team? (ie, which team made the best choice on the day given their team's current standings/line-up?) This is not about who picked the best player or did the best player go to the team with the first pick to take him.
Phil
LoSKoP wrote:

I realise Reggie Bush was a big part of the draft but who do you think - in the end with all the picks said and done - will be the most influencial to their new team? (ie, which team made the best choice on the day given their team's current standings/line-up?) This is not about who picked the best player or did the best player go to the team with the first pick to take him.

That's what the draft is all about. Before the draft, everyone and their brother is an "Expert". Sometimes it takes years before the effects of the year's draft are felt.
I think of Tony Mandarich, billed as the greatest Offensive lineman to ever come out of collage in the 1989 draft. The guy was a complete bust after he was drafted by Green Bay. He wound up being a decent player in the mid-90's for the Colts, but nowhere near what he was hyped to be.
Sometimes it may take a few years for a player to contribute, or they may play like gang-busters for a year or 2, then just fall by the wayside.
As a Saints fan, believe me. I've seen my share of 1st round busts.
Northgatebaseball
Yeah, good point. It does take years to tell if the draft choice was a bust or not. Look at Drew Brees, he was being casted as the latest Charger bust, but then he stepped up his game after they picked up Philip Rivers. He was the life of the Chargers, until he got hurt. Now the Saints have a potentially good QB, but no one knows if his first couple of seasons were flukes, or his last couple. He has had two exremely different results.