FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why not have a FriHost domain hosting/registration sevice?

hack_man_
I have been looking for a free domain for my site for a long time and then I had an idea...

Why not have a domain hosting/registration sevice here on FriHost?

Domains

There could be a variety of domains like .fri & .frih. They could have different rates, depending on the domain you choose (.fri or .frih), so .frih would be cheaper. Maybe you could offer cheap .com & .net domains as well. (You will see why I mentioned this later)

Mail

Maybe you could include an unlimited POP3 mail forwarding service?

Example wrote:
Jim sends an e-mail to email@domain.frih, it would arrive at the mail server and be sent to the right mail account. Bob checks his POP3 mail account which could be email@subdomain.frih.net and finds this e-mail. He would reply and Jim would get the reply, but the From field says email@domain.frih, not email@subdomain.frih.net

Pricing

You could "pay" by being more active on the forums and having a higher minimum points level. These could be judged by which domain(s) you choose (see above). The service could be exclusively for FriHost hosters who have maybe posted a minimum of 200 posts and you could put in that you must have your site on FriHost to stop people like spammers and bots coming just for the domains. The .com and .net domains could be cheaply priced, thus generating more revenue for FriHost (I am guessing that FriHost is non-profit).

Example wrote:
A minimum of 5 Points must be observed to keep the domain, your post limit will be raised to 55 and you will lose 1.5 points every day instead of 1

What about initial setup costs and monthly fees?

Why not setup a FriHost PayPal account? Not just for the domain section but for the rest of the site as well! I know I would donate quite a bit if I was old enough to have a credit card! The paid account would probably pay off the startup/monthly fees quickly and would start making profit for FriHost (I am guessing that FriHost is non-profit again)

Furthermore

The free and cheap paid domains would attract more hosters to FriHost and thus make more money from the ads and from the people wanting the paid domains which would be most hosters as most hosters already have domains.

Conclusion

I don't see how FriHost could lose out! If you do go ahead with this idea, FriHost would become the perfect host! Not only for myself but for many others as well!

I would be behind FriHost till the end! I already am behind FriHost, but this would simply give me more reasons to keep it that way!

Support me with these!

I also made one to match the forums:
Bondings
First of all .frih or .fri domains don't exist and I will never be able to offer them as I'm not in charge of domain names.

Secondly, Frihost is not a non profit organization. However I (obviously) didn't make it for money. Wink

About domain registration services, this requires me to start a complete company with taxes and all legal trouble in my country. I don't think this is a good idea at the moment.

About free subdomains with dns services (something like something.frih.net), I might be making such a service, it won't be for soon, though.
mathiaus
hmmm heres an idea. Domains turn a site from semi-pro to pro and are considered a nessecity by many so I think Frihost having special registrationw ould be fantastic. though as you mentioned it involves a lot ...

... what if Frihost were to team up with a registra, they provide a special frihost register page and default dns to frih.net, and discounts and you place an ad on the forum etc for them? Smile
n0obie4life
Bondings wrote:
Secondly, Frihost is not a non profit organization. However I (obviously) didn't make it for money. Wink

About domain registration services, this requires me to start a complete company with taxes and all legal trouble in my country. I don't think this is a good idea at the moment.

Just admit you are lazy to count taxes every month/year Laughing
Marston
Creating a paid FriHost option would contradict the "Fri" part of FriHost.
hack_man_
Marston wrote:

I don't mean paid hosting, just an extremely cheap domain for FriHost users who want one.

bondings wrote:
First of all .frih or .fri domains don't exist and I will never be able to offer them as I'm not in charge of domain names.

Don't Dot TK & .co.nr have their own TLD?

Bondings wrote:

1. Many other companies do domain registration and hosting to go with it, or are they separate companies that just work together?
2. If you can't set it up where you are because of taxes and legal trouble, why not ask someone else to do it elsewhere? Like a Mod or an Admin. (are you the only admin? Seeing how Maka is a Retired Admin, I would think that someone replaced him)

Bondings wrote:
About free subdomains with dns services (something like something.frih.net), I might be making such a service, it won't be for soon, though.

Wouldn't that drive FriHosters away? People might be registering and find that someone has already taken the sub-domain they wanted for the URL forwarding/DNS redirection. It would be better to have it seperate, like something.fri.net.
Marston
hack_man_ wrote:
Marston wrote:

I don't mean paid hosting, just an extremely cheap domain for FriHost users who want one.

http://godaddy.com

I really don't see what you're trying to get at.

1.) Steve says he doesn't want to setup a registrar service @ frihost, because of all the paperwork (or whatever).
2.) What's the point of frihost doing something that 100 companies are already doing? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, dude. Domains are domains, wheather they come from in-house, or from a domain registry site.
Bondings
hack_man_ wrote:

Those are country tld's. Like .us for the USA and such. I don't own a country yet.

hack_man_ wrote:
Wouldn't that drive FriHosters away? People might be registering and find that someone has already taken the sub-domain they wanted for the URL forwarding/DNS redirection. It would be better to have it seperate, like something.fri.net.

I was just giving an example, it wouldn't be with that subdomain. Wink
Marston
Bondings wrote:
yet
Shocked FriHost - coming to a map near you?!

Or is it FriLand? Confused
n0obie4life
Bondings wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

Those are country tld's. Like .us for the USA and such. I don't own a country yet.

Also, .co.nr is not a tld.

.nr

people just registered

http://co.nr (the domain is "co") Wink
Empire
I think it's an awesome Idea! what I was thinking is maybe [if u really don't want a profit] just give domains to your fellow frihosters

EXAMPLE: you have to have 300 posts, you have to pay frih$50 setup fee and frih$30 a month, you have to be really active on the board, and if your points drop below 10 your domain get's deleted.

also you can say that the domain u registered HAS to be used on frihost. no other hoste
Gieter
Marston wrote:
Bondings wrote:
yet
Shocked FriHost - coming to a map near you?!

Or is it FriLand? Confused

FriLand would be great fun, at least if the climate and the civilians are nice... And I think there will be constant tensions between religious and non-religious people, as I have noticed on the Philosophy and Religion-board.

I don't think it's a good idea, I agree with Bondings that's it just too much work, and I assume that Bondings already has lots of work. Frihost would have to become a company, and that also involves some problems.

If you want a domain name, there are plenty of other companies who will register a nice domain name for you.

PS: I don't think they will ever allow something like a .fri TLD. Since then, every company would have the right to have its own extension. Submitting the request for a TLD is also incredibly expensive, and if they reject your request, you don't get your money back.
Scorpio
Bondings wrote:

If bondings in belgium, I hear that it is the most taxed country in the world

Something like 55% tax . So i guess probably most of what bondings earns goes to the govt. A pity, really.

If bondings sets a base in say, Bahrain or Kuwait, no taxes Very Happy
Gieter
scorpio wrote:
Bondings wrote:

If bondings in belgium, I hear that it is the most taxed country in the world

Something like 55% tax . So i guess probably most of what bondings earns goes to the govt. A pity, really.

If bondings sets a base in say, Bahrain or Kuwait, no taxes Very Happy

I live in Belgium, and the tax you're talking about is probably the income tax. The tax for these services will be 21%, but that's still enough. Wink
I think Bondings just doesn't want to provide domain registration services, because then you have to start a company, and if you do that you'll have to spend quite some time on administrative things. And as I said before, Bondings probably could use his time for other, better things.
Marston
Empire wrote:
I think it's an awesome Idea! what I was thinking is maybe [if u really don't want a profit] just give domains to your fellow frihosters

EXAMPLE: you have to have 300 posts, you have to pay frih$50 setup fee and frih$30 a month, you have to be really active on the board, and if your points drop below 10 your domain get's deleted.

also you can say that the domain u registered HAS to be used on frihost. no other hoste
... So we pay Steve in a fake currency, and he has to pay $10/month for the rest of his life, or until we don't want the domain anymore.

Sorry man, I doubt this will happen.
n0obie4life
Marston wrote:
Empire wrote:

... So we pay Steve in a fake currency, and he has to pay $10/month for the rest of his life, or until we don't want the domain anymore.

Sorry man, I doubt this will happen.

lmao. Empire, you have to understand Frihost is ran by a human with limited money too.
heady233
hack_man_ wrote:
Marston wrote:

bondings wrote:

Bondings wrote:

1. Many other companies do domain registration and hosting to go with it, or are they separate companies that just work together?
2. If you can't set it up where you are because of taxes and legal trouble, why not ask someone else to do it elsewhere? Like a Mod or an Admin. (are you the only admin? Seeing how Maka is a Retired Admin, I would think that someone replaced him)

Bondings wrote:

TLD means top level domain. And .co.nr is a 2LD (2nd level domain).