FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

W00t! Something that finally fixes IE.

Texas Al
If you've tried writing web pages that are compatible with all reasonable browsers, the first thing you learned that Internet Explorer is un reasonable. It totally screws up like half the CSS standards.

Turns out there's a project to redefine how IE parses a number of CSS expressions so that you could use the exact same stylesheet with IE and FireFox.

http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/intro/

I was skeptical until I saw the famous Complex Spiral demo page actually render correctly in my IE. That totally blew my mind.

They have everything on there-- the full range of CSS selectors, PNG transparency, proper support for fixed background, min-width, hover, you name it. You just download the library and call it from the beginning of your document.

There's another approach. If you don't use all those features, just one or two, you might be able to get away with copying them and putting them into .htc files. An .htc file is a javascript file that IE references to find out what behavior is expected of it.

So for instance if you want IE to know how to handle PNG files with transparent backgrounds, you would have the CSS file for IE say something like...

img { behavior: url(pngtransparent.htc); }

The pngtransparent.htc file in this example would be the file that contains the javascript code for interpreting PNG transparency which you copied from the IE7 stuff. Just make sure that if you go the htc route that you set apache to serve files with the htc extension as the text/x-component MIME type (cPanel lets you do this through the 'MIME Types' icon).
S3nd K3ys
Quote:

NOTHING will fix Internet Explorer except a more powerful Un-Install feature.
Maka
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Quote:

Wow, no wonder you where added to the spam list, that had nothing in it to contribute to the thread, well done.
S3nd K3ys
Maka wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Quote:

Wow, no wonder you where added to the spam list, that had nothing in it to contribute to the thread, well done.

Don't you think it would be good to be able to uninstall IE?
Texas Al
I've actually uninstalled IE from a computer I owned. It took some web seraching, but it can be done, sort of. The problem is, a lot of things you think of as part of the desktop and file browser will also stop working. Remember that software bundling lawsuit MS was involved in? That's what it was about.

But it's not my browser I'm worried about-- it's the browser of whoever visits the websites I set up for people. Yeah, wouldn't it be nice to remotely upgrade them to FireFox? But it ain't gonna happen, so here we are solving browser compatibility puzzles. Smile
foggy
Yep. This is a very good piece of software, I've used it before on some of my sites. Thanks.
Maka
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Maka wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Quote:

Don't you think it would be good to be able to uninstall IE?

No because I use it, if you dont like IE why do you use microsoft products altogether?.
S3nd K3ys
Because the CAM software I use won't run on linux. I do have a linux box at home, but not at work.

IE and just about everything Microsoft is bug-ridden bloatware that has more security holes that the US border.
homer09001
to fix everything wrong with windows simply get hold of a windows 98 Startup disk

restart your pc booting to A:/

when asked if you would like cd rom support select no

when you are finnaly bought to the a:\ prompt type format c:\ aknowledge all prompts and hey presto you have an error free pc
Texas Al
One of the things I was most pissed off about when I got my Vaio was what a pain it was to install a Windows 98 partition without Sony's very expensive FDD or CDROM (it didn't come with). I finally bought a cheap USB FDD, booted it off a DOS floppy like you said and installed Win98 off files I copied over a network.

And you know what? It saved my butt on multiple occasions. I get a corrupt System hive and the accompanying bluescreen of death about every two months. So instead of booting off the Win2k install CD like it suggests (I actually tried it once, and it did me no good whatsoever) I just boot into 98, overwrite the corrupt registry file with a backup, and presto, I'm good to go! Same thing with defragging my hard drive, backing up the Win2k partition to ghost images... Win98 is simply too primitive to have the sorts of wall-punchingly annoying problems that more sophisticated OS's have. Thank god at least the Win2k partition wasn't NTFS.

I don't trust a computer unless it has at least two bootable partitions. Of course now that Knoppix and similar live-CD oses are around, I might not install mutiple boot partitions on my next PC. We'll see.
charliehk
thx for your valuable info, very practical!

I love the idea of this project: you can't get rid of IE for the time being (no need to do so, after all it is not a virus although virus loves it), so you live with it... Idea
mathiaus
wont the new IE parse everything correctly? If it does then wont the time doing all of this be a waste of time? JUst a small thing ticking in my mind. Good idea though and those involved need to be congratulated (and thanked) Laughing
Seregwethrin
I think IE will have more bugs.. Smile
S3nd K3ys
mathiaus wrote:
wont the new IE parse everything correctly? If it does then wont the time doing all of this be a waste of time? JUst a small thing ticking in my mind. Good idea though and those involved need to be congratulated (and thanked) Laughing

In a word, no. That won't solve the problem. Microsoft's problem is greed. They want every comptuer to have IE and Windows. (Not in that order). So in order to make sure everyone gets IE, they embeded it into the OS. Then they enabled Active Scripting and Active X, providing an even easier gateway to the OS for hackers/crackers.

They're not going to change that any time soon. And longhorn will provide it's own, new set of problems that have been built on the reliable foundation of problems of the past.
Texas Al
mathiaus wrote:

Well, remember the purpose of the project-- server-side compatibility. The people who have these IE7 javascripts installed on their servers will probably keep them forever, since not all the people visiting their sites will have the new IE. So no, it won't be wasted effort.

Also, the next IE probably won't be 100% compliant with CSS3 either... so the IE7 probably get to work writing scripts to fix those bugs/inconsistancies.

To clarify-- the IE7 javascript library is not something you install locally to your IE. It's something you as a web developer put on your server to make IE and FireFox interpret your CSS in the same way. It's a way to avoid using CSS hacks.

...although now I've had a chance to try it out and I can tell you that it doesn't completely do away with the need to have hacks. If I remove the hacks CSS sheet and use only the IE7 script, my pages look very odd. I haven't yet figured out which of my hacks don't have replacements in the IE7 script.
mathiaus
Thanks for that. I was simply wondering wether the work put in now would be a waste of time in the near future. As it would seem not I'm off to go and have a look exactly how this works and If I can get it to work for me Laughing
boutolliz
Really great works, hope it works with a browser that avery one in the world use it, even it has too many bugs, and doesn't respect standards as others said, I am web developper and everytime I am scripting a site I find too much problems, ...
specially that it hazards in interpretting scripts, so you don't have any "rules" to respect, it seems like you don't speak english, you are in London, and you are trying to explain to someone what you are asking for, ...
Sometimes, when I'm fed up, I tried to change my job, ... Finally I find that Flash sites resolve that problems, ... but what about preloading, and graphix this is not the solution, ...
If it works, thanx very much to everybody who has worked on the project, ... and good work men, ...