FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MacBook Pro anyone?

bjwok
hi folks,

anybody here got a macbook pro yet and if so, are they happy with it?

i am also interested in the possibility of hooking it up to my 24inch dell monitor (when at home obviously) and am wondering how the macbook pro will handle the 1900x1200 resolution?

anybody done this with theirs?
Rocky3478
I don't own a Macbook Pro, but it won't have a problem. The highest-end 15" Powerbook's graphics card was half as good as the Macbook's, and it could power a 30"ACD at 2560x1600.
bjwok
thanks rocky.

do you have a powerbook then? or have you seen one in action?
Rocky3478
Yep. Smile I own a 15" Rev. C Powerbook with the stock 64Mb GPU, and I routinely run a 1600x1200 external monitor. Here's the Apple page on the GPU for the Macbook Pro.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/whatsinside.html

Looks like it can handle a 30" ACD @ 2560x1600 px, so your 24" Dell should not be a problem for it. Smile If you have any other questions, just ask! Smile I'll be happy to answer them!
Reozord
I was going to get a macbook when i found how bad it really is! The macbook use's lots of memory when using powermac apps using rosella. And most apllications that worked on a powermac won't work on the intel mac's. Software like Maya 7 which is 7000us doesnt work on intel macs! So I would personly get a powermac g5
bjwok
just wondering about the fact that they are shipping with 5400rpm hdd's, yet the minimum specs for non-frame drop dv capture is 7200rpm?

any thoughts?
Rocky3478
bjwok wrote:
just wondering about the fact that they are shipping with 5400rpm hdd's, yet the minimum specs for non-frame drop dv capture is 7200rpm?

any thoughts?

The reason for that is battery life. It goes down quite a bit with a 7200 RPM HD on a laptop. But if battery life is not a concern for you, I'd recommend upgrading to the 100GB 7200RPM hard drive. The whole computer benefits greatly from that kind of a speed boost.
bjwok
thanks rocky,

but if you capture with a hdd spinning at 5400rpm you will get dropped frames, is this something that is somehow avoided on the macbook pro?

i will be going for the 7200 version, but am gonna wait till the price becomes reasonable (might be a looooong wait!)