FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Youth in Governent - Governor

Soulfire
I was elected from my school to run for the Michigan Youth in Government Youth Governor for the 2008 Spring Conference. While this may seem far away, preparations are already underway. Currently we will be making banners and posters, and I am to run against the other candidates in the Southwest Michigan district this fall.

Whoever wins in the fall moves on to the spring, and if I am elected governor in the spring of 2007, then I am the governor of the 2008 conference.

Now, I want to write an amazing speech. One that will be remembered, and I have a few ideas of my own, but I want some feedback from people.

What are some good ideas and/or suggestions for my speech? The audience is 800-1200 14-19 year olds, generally interested in government. My biggest, and first major, public speech ever.

Thanks for your time.
Blaster
First of all congradualtions. How old are you exactly? I would go somthing like. What will you be doing and all that stuff. (Make sure it is in formal writting)
alkady
Your in a similar pickle as I am, But I'm not running for office. But I want to participate in this public speaking competion, But to get there I have to be elected to represent the school.

I just like you want to write a memorable speech, So I'll give you some pointers on how I picture mines.

First start off with;

Fellow Collegues, Mr. Speaker ect;

or something fancy.

Then either you go for a joke or some anecdote like:

Julius Caesar once said <Insert Lines>
Translation: I came, I saw and I got round housed kicked in the face by chuck norris.

or an anecdote like:

Two mice fell into a bucket of cream,
The first mouse finally gave up and drown,
The second wouldnt give up and eventually churned the cream into butter and walked away.

or better yet you can do it Dubya Style.

" I am honored and humbled to stand here, where so many of America’s leaders have come before me, and so many will follow."

then you start an your speech.

pm me if you want some more help.
Blaster
But make sure the joke has somthing to do with the speech though. Like somthing like "Like Eintein once said, You are only smart if you think dumb. Well to be smart you would have to vote me in." Well not that but somthing like that.
alkady
Blaster wrote:
But make sure the joke has somthing to do with the speech though. Like somthing like "Like Eintein once said, You are only smart if you think dumb. Well to be smart you would have to vote me in." Well not that but somthing like that.

it doesnt really have to be part of the speech, But it is highly recommended.
Blaster
Well you don't want it to be like. I heard this great joke the other day. Two men walk into a bar and see there is only 1 seat left. Well the guys where both gay so they fliped the stole over.

If yu have somthing like that or somthing that doesnt' make sense you will get something like is this guy kidding. First impression counts. I would state a joke that has to do with somthing educatioinal or somthing of that sort. You want to sound smart.

Just try and be you. Don't do stuff you wouldn't do.
alkady
Well the guy is after to write a political speech, So I'd suggest he cut back on the jokes for obvious reasons that politics is sensitive and you just cant tell just any kind of jokes.

He should stick with intelligent but yet humorous stories,

Something like this:

Fellow Collegues of the Youth Conference;

I am humbled and honoured to stand here today where those of the past have stood and so many to follow.

then insert the text and to conclude,
Blaster
Something like that would work. One big thing is you must not go into it afraid. Good luck with you. Very Happy
alkady
Blaster wrote:
Something like that would work. One big thing is you must not go into it afraid. Good luck with you. Very Happy

Dont forget to drink water to clear the throat, The next thing you would need is your voice cracking, slurring ect.

Avoid drinking Milk or having any dairy products. Only liquid, Milk causes the mouth to be a bit sticky.

have a good nights rest.

pratice, pratice and practice.

If you forget your lines, Then try to remember or make something up.

eg. Today I bought a TV...(Forgot Line), Well the TV black.

and hopefully youll remember what goes next.

First impression will be important, Dress well. THis shows you are confident since you when thru all this trouble.

Cut back on stupidity, Other than looking well, Looking like a fool is a big no.

If people laugh, Laugh eg. Haha its a good one.
Blaster
Have notecards to look over but dont' write everything on the notecard so you don't look down at the notecard and read off of it.

Look around and starte at your audience. Pause for some time if needed. Try and not close your eyes.
alkady
Blaster wrote:
Have notecards to look over but dont' write everything on the notecard so you don't look down at the notecard and read off of it.

Look around and starte at your audience. Pause for some time if needed. Try and not close your eyes.

Actually for the Cue Cards or Note Cards, Depends on what you call it, Never look too long at it and never look at it too often, Your getting into politics, Show them that you are ready, Show them that you can represent the future. Reading off the cue card just shows your unprepared and makes you look bad since I'm presumming this will be televised.

Also most importantly as Blaster said, Look at the audience, You have to have this bonding feeling. Dont put your hands in your pocket and remember the most important is to look at THE audience, Not the wall, Not the window, the camera or the floor, The audience.

And perhaps this is a piece of advice that saved me alot in public speaking, Take a deep breath because no matter how perfect you are, When your turn comes, Youre going to shake, A deep breath and thats all.
jabapyth
Practice saying the speech, as many times as you can, to as many people as you can get hold of. Get nervous Now so you wont be later.
*tip* pick the person you are most afraid of, that you know (usually a teacher), and practice saying the speech to them. They probably wont mind, if you ask, and its a great way to get over stage fright.
Soulfire
Thanks for your tips. I wrote the conclusion to my speech (without an introduction or body yet).

It goes:

Get Excited! Get Passionate about Youth in Government! Because as I look out at all of you today, I see the future of Michigan, the future lawyers, senators, representatives, governors, and beyond that... and together we all have the power of change. Let's make a change for the better. Thanks for your time, and vote Ditton 2008 youth governor
alkady
SoulFire, The Conclusion sounds good, But I think Thanks for your time is not formal enough, Perhaps Thank You for your time, Ladies and Gentleman or Fellow Collegues or what ever you decide to call them.

For your intro, Remember to praise things,

eg: I am Humbled and Honoured to Stand Here today.