FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How often are Hotel and Motel bed COVERS cleaned?





GARY6943
Here in NZ there was disscussion on the radio about Hotel and Motel Bed COVERS and how often they are cleaned, Hotel and Motel workers were ringing in saying that they are only cleaned if there are noticable stains on them and in some cases that it has been years or never, makes you wonder when you go to sit on a Hotel or Motel bed doesn't it....
Eyre
wow thats just gross. i'm sleeping in a chair next time.
GARY6943
And the other thing that they discovered was that the TV remote was on of the most disgusting things to touch.
Blaster
That is why you don't go to a crappy hotel room. You get a somewhat nice one. And eyre you don't know who sits in that chair. So a whole motel/hotel thing may be disguesting.
littlegiant
Blaster wrote:
That is why you don't go to a crappy hotel room. You get a somewhat nice one. And eyre you don't know who sits in that chair. So a whole motel/hotel thing may be disguesting.


'Disguesting'?Was that a typo or corny pun?... *chuckle* ... Very Happy
Blaster
I had to pee really bad and i was afraid I would foget what was on my mind. Sorry.
alkady
Eyre wrote:
wow thats just gross. i'm sleeping in a chair next time.


Uhhh...The chair is way worse because its not cleans as often as you think and you don't know if someones been having an intimate moment on it and you dont know how much of that love stain is left on it.

Either bring your own sleeping bag or just enjoy the day Laughing
littlegiant
Quote:
I had to pee really bad and i was afraid I would foget what was on my mind. Sorry.


Actually, it was kinda funny! Very Happy
Jayfarer
Definitely not very often. This knowledge is starting to be spread now, so hopefully no one jumps onto the bed covers first thing when they enter their hotel room.

Oh yeah, it's also important to note that it's the COVERS, not the blanket or the sheets. Those thick, patterned things at the very top are the dirty ones.
alkady
Remember guys, You get what you pay for, The more you pinch on every dollar, the more they pinch to make an extra cent off that dollar.

I'd recommend a fancy hotel, But this isnt the millionaire club so the best solution is to go for 3 star hotels. They cut back, But at what you pay, They dont cut too many corners.
jongoldsz
That's gross! Is this for only the cheap hotels and motels or all hotels and motels?
alkady
jongoldsz wrote:
That's gross! Is this for only the cheap hotels and motels or all hotels and motels?


Cheap, I doubt a five star hotel would risk a bad name just to save a few bucks.
GARY6943
What worried the listeners to the radio here in NZ when this was being discussed was that it was ALL the hotels and motels, rich and poor. Including the top of the line ones....
oais
Eww. I thought they would change the covers as soon as the guests leave. Shame on you
I'm carrying my sleeping bag next time.
benwhite
You'd be surprised how even decent hotels cut corners. And it's important to restate what someone else mentioned: the sheets and blankets are cleaned frequently (though I've occsasionally run into problems there too), it's just the duvet covers, which aren't necessary anyway that are gross. And they really are gross. But then again, do you all avoid using public bathrooms? I know I don't. Out of sight, out of mind my friends. That's the only way to live sometimes.
sparks
I think I will carry my own blankets and sheets the next time. you might get fungal infections and sexually transmitted diseases.

This is so unfair
alkady
sparks wrote:
I think I will carry my own blankets and sheets the next time. you might get fungal infections and sexually transmitted diseases.

This is so unfair


Stick with a sleeping bag on the floor, You really think couples dont have you know on them?
Vrythramax
I don't stay in hotels/motels very often, but I was always under the impression that the bedclothes were changed after a room was vacated by a customer. Assumptions can really be dangerous I guess. Very disturbing thought...I'll sleep in my car from now on.
Garnet
I was wondering how often they change those 4 day ago Very Happy (It's weird how things come up not long after you think of them...)

I guess they would worry about how much water/electricity it would take to wash them? I mean they always have those cute notes on the wall "leave the towel on the floor if you won't use it again to help save our planet." At least if they're going to wash everything else why not the covers too?

Still that's super gross - people sneeze, itch, and like a million other gross things probably on or near those covers...what a little germ farm. Maybe I'll just deliberately spill punch on them Wink
Soulfire
Yeah, I've heard of bodies being discovered underneath hotel beds, in the heating ducts, etc. They should be cleaned each day, but it is human nature to want to cut corners and take the easy way out, so it doesn't surprise me that some sheets go uncleaned for extended periods of time.
Marston
If you guys think this is gross, just think about what's all over public toilet seats...

*Shiver*
Aredon
Yeah CSI basicaly ruined hotels for me perminantly.... whenever i stay in one now i spend at least half an hour worrying about what i might be sleeping in...

Don't even get me started with the toilet seats...
alkady
Aredon wrote:
Yeah CSI basicaly ruined hotels for me perminantly.... whenever i stay in one now i spend at least half an hour worrying about what i might be sleeping in...

Don't even get me started with the toilet seats...


Toilet Seats? I start it if you dont mind. Do you know how many a--es sat on it, How many times someone missed the bulls eye and dried pee is on the seat. Do you know the toilet seat is not cleaned as often as you think it is.
talz
Shocked ewwww that's disgusting
jayandsilo
When I went to Fiji the cleaners just walk around all day at the resort cleaning, it was great.
GARY6943
Just back from Fiji ourselves and even the cleaners admitted that they never clean the COVERS unless they are stained...
NuniPio
GARY6943 wrote:
Here in NZ there was disscussion on the radio about Hotel and Motel Bed COVERS and how often they are cleaned, Hotel and Motel workers were ringing in saying that they are only cleaned if there are noticable stains on them and in some cases that it has been years or never, makes you wonder when you go to sit on a Hotel or Motel bed doesn't it....


dude...does that include 5 star hotels?
n0obie4life
Here where I live, hotels have their stuff changed everyday (that includes the towels they provide, the bedsheet..et cetra).

I'm not sure about Motels doh..
alkady
n0obie4life wrote:
Here where I live, hotels have their stuff changed everyday (that includes the towels they provide, the bedsheet..et cetra).

I'm not sure about Motels doh..


Motels are worst than hotels. They are small and cheap and cannot afford to have complimentary services in the say $59.00 a night rent
althalus
Like so many say I think it depends on the cheapness of the h/motel. I work for the company cleaning the bedsheets for a few hotels in my area and depending on the size of the h/motel we get laundy relivered every day or once a week. (Sometimes every other week, if it's a really small motel).

Safe to say I wouldn't stay at the cheaper ones... Ugh.. Razz

Edit: You could always do the scratch-n-sniff test to see whether you should lay in the bed or not.. Wink (If it smells like daisies, go for it. And if it smells like a** -- don't!)
GARY6943
As an answer to a few above this one yes it does include the 5 star ones, and remember we are talking about COVERS not bed sheets. The workers ringing in were from these five star ones but what shocked everyone was that it was all of them not just the lower class ones. Total yuck.
Aredon
alkady wrote:
Aredon wrote:
Yeah CSI basicaly ruined hotels for me perminantly.... whenever i stay in one now i spend at least half an hour worrying about what i might be sleeping in...

Don't even get me started with the toilet seats...


Toilet Seats? I start it if you dont mind. Do you know how many a--es sat on it, How many times someone missed the bulls eye and dried pee is on the seat. Do you know the toilet seat is not cleaned as often as you think it is.
well... urine actualy has ammonia in it.. so maybe its cleaner than you think Wink
[FuN]goku
meh donno but hopefully they clean them.... cuz if they dont im never going to a hotel.
Josso
It's all very well saying go to a better place but sometimes there is no choice especialy on not-very-holiday-like holidays. You know the ones where you are going to look at houses or whatever. Sometimes you just need a bed whatever. For example when I went to the island of Skopelos in greece before the ferry I didn't get any sleep for 28 hours... by that time stuff seems to be slipping out of reality slightly and even the most nasty of places is excellent.
rcbako
I have a friend who is working in a prestigious Hotel. I once asked her how often they change their beddings. She said they change beddings everyday even if it is occupied by a customer, with the customer's permission. They change beddings again once the customer checks out. Pretty clean right.
Ghost900
I don't stay at h/motels to often but I stayed at a pretty cheap motel for almost a week once and they changed the sheets at least twice while I was there even though I wasn't even leaving so I think that American h/motels or at least some of them have a higher standard of cleaning though I may have just been lucky.
deanhills
Think they should also add carpets and curtains to the topic of the thread. I'm convinced they do not clean all of the covers on a daily basis. In some places the carpets are also really bad. I'm not always sure the pillows are properly insulated to protect for second use. There are exceptions of course where hotels, especially the large chains, go for a very high level of housekeeping. But that would also depend on the resources available in terms of level of training and number of cleaning staff and cost of cleaning.
standready
Forget hotels/motels. I think I will start carrying a tent and sleeping bag.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Forget hotels/motels. I think I will start carrying a tent and sleeping bag.
Maybe pitch the tent inside the hotel or motel room? Smile Think quite a large number of people I know take their sleeping bags and pillows with, instead of using the Hotel bedding.
meep
one of the hotels i've been to said they cleaned everything each 3days and after a guest checks out (goes home). so if you went there you would come into a clean room and if you stayed for a week it would get cleaned 2 times and after you left.
that's more than my room lol Very Happy
deanhills
meep wrote:
one of the hotels i've been to said they cleaned everything each 3days and after a guest checks out (goes home). so if you went there you would come into a clean room and if you stayed for a week it would get cleaned 2 times and after you left.
that's more than my room lol Very Happy
I've never stayed in a Hotel like that yet. How did they work on the every 3rd day rule and is this worked into a discounted price? Sounds a bit weird? Personally when I stay in a Hotel, I like my bed to be made every day as well as a complete set of fresh towels with garbage taken out. I it's not done for a day, then it does not feel like a Hotel to me.
meep
deanhills wrote:
I've never stayed in a Hotel like that yet. How did they work on the every 3rd day rule and is this worked into a discounted price? Sounds a bit weird? Personally when I stay in a Hotel, I like my bed to be made every day as well as a complete set of fresh towels with garbage taken out. I it's not done for a day, then it does not feel like a Hotel to me.


well they still made the bed and replaced the towels each day, but they did a total cleanup twice a week (I guess each 3days was a bit of a wrong way to say it) and after someone left. guess i explained it a bit weird
Flakky
Blaster wrote:
I had to pee really bad and i was afraid I would foget what was on my mind. Sorry.
lol Razz

I always had the assumption, but often I see that in luxurous hotels they clean everything everyday which is quite a waste in my eyes though.
Aredon
Interesting... all the hotels around here change bedding every day regardless of whether or not there's been someone in the room... same goes for vacuuming the carpets, and cleaning the bathrooms. Might just be an american thing, or could also be something at the state level since I've never really ventured too far out.
timothymartin
Just request a cleaning when you make a reservation.
sudipbanerjee
Really I have no idea about the frequency of Hotel and Motel's bed cover cleaning but I always carry a bedcover with my travel bag so that I can use it over their's.
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:
Really I have no idea about the frequency of Hotel and Motel's bed cover cleaning but I always carry a bedcover with my travel bag so that I can use it over their's.
Right, reminds me of a friend of mine who used to pack pillow, rug and sleeping bag, and sleep on the floor. I'm moderately fussy, and if the pillow looks suspect, I just ask house cleaning for a fresh one and try and not touch the blankets by focussing on the sheets, which are usually freshly laundered. I also carry a Clorox spray detergent for the bathroom areas.
asdfowkw
GARY6943 wrote:
Here in NZ there was disscussion on the radio about Hotel and Motel Bed COVERS and how often they are cleaned, Hotel and Motel workers were ringing in saying that they are only cleaned if there are noticable stains on them and in some cases that it has been years or never, makes you wonder when you go to sit on a Hotel or Motel bed doesn't it....


wow... here in Sweden it's changed every day. o.o that just sounds disgusting o.o
goutha
It depends on the standard of the hotel.

A 5 stars hotel is supposed to change covers for every new customer and sometimes everyday.

Not sure that other hotels (4 stars and less) do change them often.
watersoul
GARY6943 wrote:
Here in NZ there was disscussion on the radio about Hotel and Motel Bed COVERS and how often they are cleaned, Hotel and Motel workers were ringing in saying that they are only cleaned if there are noticable stains on them and in some cases that it has been years or never, makes you wonder when you go to sit on a Hotel or Motel bed doesn't it....


Eww! Thats pretty rough!
I can only say that the many people I know who have (or do) work in any housekeeping section of hotels in the South Devon area of England, follow a strict bed-stripping routine and it all gets sent to a couple of major laundry plants nearby.
I couldn't comment on small places run by families etc, but anywhere with 20+ rooms all follow the same pattern and that keeps the big laundry plants in business.
Yes its expensive to visit the UK and it's cheaper for me to fly 2000 miles from here for a holiday , than it is to take 7 days in a local hotel...but at least the sheets are always clean! Laughing
deanhills
goutha wrote:
It depends on the standard of the hotel.

A 5 stars hotel is supposed to change covers for every new customer and sometimes everyday.

Not sure that other hotels (4 stars and less) do change them often.
A friend of mine who has just visited London, landed in a "special" down town Hotel that he located online, and did not have a cover for the bed. He also had to ask for towels. I don't think it had any star ratings. But one probably should check carefully when one makes online bookings for accommodation in London and rather work through official tourist offices. I have come into the habit of staying at the same Hotel near Heathrow Airport every time I visit London, for the particular reason that they are excellent with their house keeping. The linens are changed every day, and the rooms are immaculate. It is a Premier Inn Hotel.
Greatking
You get what you pay for, when you pay for quality service you get quality service, a hotel or motel without high standards will of course not clean sheets until they have noticed stains, disgusting! but then when you go to a respectable hotel or motel, or lets say you go to a hotel that is patronized by the president of the united states of America, you know what you are going to get, even though the do charge a lot. on the other hand you can find motels and hotels which are very neat and clean and not so expensive. you just have to search and watch out.
deanhills
Greatking wrote:
You get what you pay for, when you pay for quality service you get quality service, a hotel or motel without high standards will of course not clean sheets until they have noticed stains, disgusting! but then when you go to a respectable hotel or motel, or lets say you go to a hotel that is patronized by the president of the united states of America, you know what you are going to get, even though the do charge a lot. on the other hand you can find motels and hotels which are very neat and clean and not so expensive. you just have to search and watch out.
I would agree up to a point, but you do find some 2 or 3 star Hotels, who actually pride themselves on their impeccable house cleaning service. I'm using an apartment hotel like that in Dubai. Sort of a marketing tool of theirs as well. Some of the higher grade Hotels aren't necessary at the same standard. Except of course your really well known brand names like Hilton, Inter-Continental etc.
Aredon
deanhills wrote:
I would agree up to a point, but you do find some 2 or 3 star Hotels, who actually pride themselves on their impeccable house cleaning service. I'm using an apartment hotel like that in Dubai. Sort of a marketing tool of theirs as well. Some of the higher grade Hotels aren't necessary at the same standard. Except of course your really well known brand names like Hilton, Inter-Continental etc.

I'll agree with you there. We can't really generalize based on stars. Actually the stars don't really mean a whole lot in my opinion. It's sort of a cookie-cutter system that doesn't really work most of the time. Honestly word of mouth and personal experience are better sources than any critique.
Tiramie
It depends on what you mean by bed covers

Of the motel owners 2 stars and above I know, Bedsheets, get changed after everytime a guest completes their stay and every couple of days if the guest is staying multiple days or there are stains on the bedsheets. If a guest is staying for a long time, we will tell them our policy and ask them if they would like things change more often or not.

Blankets and duvet or bed spreads are change after an extended stay or depending on how often the room is used. Those things are cleaned and changed on a rotation basis, bi-monthly or monthly if it is a low season, every week if it is a high season.


If the room only only used three times in a month. The motel will probably not be washing the bedspreads every three days. That does not make sense.
Crockett024
Normally once or twice a day, but some trashy hotels/motels are known to change it everytime a new guest arrives.
Related topics
Jackson - Not Guilty
100 Ways to be a better asshole
do you love jokes?
Joking....
Sprint Slogan or Porn Promotion
[VAR] Ir a un Motel ΏEn Taxi?
anti-gay rights mayor is gay?
Please participate in my research.
True Innocents: Fathers and Sons
Jimi Hendrix, September 18 1970... RIP
Flying Car ?
Description of my software
Motel nightmares
couchsurfing
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.