FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What CMS is designed for me?

JayBee
Hello,
I have many problems with CMS, and now I must write my own easy one. In every CMS is something wrong.
    Mambo/joomla is good, but when I wan deeper categories, it is not easy to do.
    MODx is good in this purpose bud it cant do anyting else.
    TYPO3 is so robust and 40MB disk space and 36MB memory limit for PHP is not good solution for many hostings.

Could anyone help me?
DoctorBeaver
There are dozens of CMS packages around but I too have ended up writing my own. I don't want a news-based site so that excludes lots of CMS to start with. Plus most of the CMS I looked at either didn't do enough or were over-burdened with complexity. It was easier for me to write my own than try to modify others.

If you want to have a look, there are lots at http://freshmeat.net/browse/183/?hash=78f69bb9803987a66c5158e7934417f1&offset=1675

That site also has lots of other handy php scripts.
JayBee
Thank you for link. There is many useful things Smile

Now, I have just finished the work on the first release of my own CMS.
It is horrible, but I'am lucky that I solve all problems that I want. Now I must make it more beautiful and easy to use.

I'm not satified with anything. I had to make some changes in Javascript repository of FCKEditor uuuu, but there were some mistakes with its API Sad and before I was unable to change toolbars on the fly.
tready29483
Before you re-invent the wheel by writing your own cms check out http://www.opensourcecms.com take a looks at xoops while you are there. Its prolly the best cms I've ever delt with.
PoCTo
I think the best way to have a "full-optioned"(sorry for bad English) CMS is to right it yourself!
DoctorBeaver
tready29483 wrote:
Before you re-invent the wheel by writing your own cms check out http://www.opensourcecms.com take a looks at xoops while you are there. Its prolly the best cms I've ever delt with.

Xoops doesn't even do half of what I want.
Mgccl
I like PHPnuke the best...
for not much reason than
1.a lot support
2.I use a lot
{name here}
tready29483 wrote:

Worst CMS I've used. MkPortal was the best full rediculously complex CMS I've used...

Coranto was the best CMS I've dealt with because of its customization and multiple uses(even if you don't want a news based CMS, you can put it to many other uses. I believe Pete's QB Site downloads section is based on Coranto), as well as the support you enjoy with PHP Nuke without the huge security holes.
tready29483
Well it is just an opinion of course. If you can't work, with it don't use it.
JayBee
tready29483 wrote:
Before you re-invent the wheel ......

Yes, I know, that there are many of others, I have tested about 20 CMS and .....

Reinventing the wheel is something, that i don't want to do, so my cms is a mixture of my code and opensource projects.

I thing, when i change some GPLd source, I must publish the changes, so I will publish my CMS as soon as a give it a name Wink

(Confusing Minimalist System, Come My Site, Common Mistake Setter, .... i dont' know)
krazycapital
I like reinventing the wheel. Because that way, you know what every gram of code does, and you can add features and change stuff with a lot more ease than those ones. For CMS, I'd say Mambo. It's the best looking one...
tready29483
Mambo query are very slow. I ran one a linux dev box and it was just slow!. I would never suggest using it.
JayBee
I thing, Mambo is good (the best, i have ever seen Laughing ). I use it on my homepage. (speed of frihost server is good enough for this CMS)
For me, it is perfect. For websites, that I manage it is nut usable. Sad Because custommers want many things, that I cant do with this CMS. I am waiting for joomla! 1.5 if there will be anything better.
krazycapital
It's slow? Hm.... I always find it fast...
FRE3
I have used PHP-Fusion for a good while now. Its very very easy to use, lots of options to make it look the way you like or you could always make your own skin easily, also has hundreds of add-ons (called infusions) that are so simple to make or install its unreal. Its a fantastic CMS and would recomend it to anyone who requires a great CMS that does everything you could ever require from a CMS.
Traveller
After trying several CMS packages, I gave up and wrote everything I needed from scratch, since it would have taken more work to mould the CMS into what was needed.

Of the ones I tried, I liked Mambo and PHP-Nuke the best, and they would be very useful for a lot of people - just not for everyone, and not for me.
alkutob
tready29483 wrote:

yes , indeed this is also my best advice for you .

Xoops is the best
rohan2kool
none.. actually...

Nothing usefull here

lol.. jus kidding...
Diebels
JayBee wrote:
Hello,
I have many problems with CMS, and now I must write my own easy one. In every CMS is something wrong.

Could anyone help me?

Hallo, you´re right there. With the standard Joomla install it´s not easy to extend the categories... But there is a solution on the extension site at joomla.org

You have to search for it because i forgot the name of the component. It will allow you the extend Joomla Categories with almost no Limit

Diebels Wink
Karrde
I've come to much the same conclusion with regards to CMS systems - no one system does everything that power users want, so we're forced to create our own. For a more basic, generic type of site, one of the CMS packages like Mambo might work fine, but for anything more complex, a purpose-built solution is the best.

Mambo would be my CMS of choice if I had to choose a pre-built system though.
tony
PoCTo wrote:
I think the best way to have a "full-optioned"(sorry for bad English) CMS is to right it yourself!

i agree with PoCTo. A CMS is not hard to write. google around for source data.
JayBee
rohan2kool wrote:
none.. actually...

Nothing usefull here

lol.. jus kidding...

Laughing Thank you

The day when I finish my CMS is comming
Alie
I like your point buddy, "it's difficult to write sub cetegories hack, so I'll make my own CMS" Laughing
Before choosing a new CMS tell us what your site is about. Different CMS are used for different things.

Quote:

That was a big mistake! Which site is more secure? Your own - couse you wrote the code and the only man know how your system works is you, or maybe well known CMS that was hacked millions of times, and tested even more than hacked! With all security fixes, add-ons, and modules?
Te right answer is well known CMS!
JayBee
Alie wrote:
I like your point buddy, "it's difficult to write sub cetegories hack, so I'll make my own CMS" Laughing

Its not as bad as it seems to be Very Happy . There are many other things that you have and you realy don't want. Many tables in database that do nothing useful for you. Many files on your hosting that will never be use.

I don't want so complex CMS, but I want to do things only one times.
For example add page to you web in mambo/joomla mean
1) create page
2) select category
3) select subcategory
4) write text
5) dont't forget to select same category and subcategory in your menu
6) publish page

The CMS is here for me (I'm not here for CMS) so I want from the CMS to do some work to help me (in this case I mean autocreate piont 5 every time I change the category).

There are many others things that it cant do or that I will never use.

I know it is common problem of universal software but it worry me.
simple-thought
Hi, In my personal view, most situations and web design requirements don't necessitate to recreate the wheel (CMS). By some count, there are more than thousand CMS product available with each designed to address peculiar problems. Unless one come up with a real novel approach to solve existing problems or faced with a novel problem, there is always a starting point available. Have a look at cmsmatrix.org, and one can find a product suited to the need.
crystalkey
I keep coming back to OcPortal. Fast, light, and probably the most secure CMS out there.
zimmer
JayBee wrote:
Hello,
    MODx is good in this purpose bud it cant do anyting else.
    TYPO3 is so robust and 40MB disk space and 36MB memory limit for PHP is not good solution for many hostings.

Could anyone help me?

Try the new version of Joomla 2.5.6
simple-thought
Definitely Joomla 2.5! a compilation of best of most things.
johans
my site and my clients site are CMS Joomla platform and i keep them up to date for the newest patches released.
simple-thought
key decider should be "What you want to achieve from your CMS?". Safest bet right now! is invest in something as versatile as Joomla, and you will be good for most cases.
sensui
simple-thought wrote:
Definitely Joomla 2.5! a compilation of best of most things.

Yeah thats right, joomla is also good CMS.
crystalkey
Have you tried OCPortal? Works great for me. Highly configurable.