FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virginia Woolf, anyone?

ExaminedLife
Is anyone else here passionate about the novels of Virginia Woolf? I have read nearly everything she ever wrote, and as a former college lit major, wrote quite a few papers on her work. I think that her novel "The Waves" is one of the purest and most beautiful novels in the English language, both in content, in form, wording, imagery, and sentence structure.

Anybody care to discuss her work?
9/10 NME
Only read To The Lighthouse this year but absolutely loved it and am planning to read more of her works over the summer Cool
palavra
9/10 NME wrote:
Only read To The Lighthouse this year but absolutely loved it and am planning to read more of her works over the summer Cool

i heard a lot about her
then
i read this one also.
but i did not like it
i didn't want to read other books.
onemoment
what did people think about the movie about her? i thought it was pretty good, even though the movie itself was based on a book written about virginia wolf. i would be interested in what a hardcore virginia wolf fan has to think about it. as i have a friend who is very much into sylvia plath, but didnt want to watch the movie sylvia, as she thought it would be terrible and ruin it for her. fair enough. as a photographer myself, i think that the movie fur, movie about the amazing black and white photographer diane arbus would totally anger me. especially since diane arbus is played by nicole kidman, who looks NOTHING like diane arbus, who is jewish. Mad

well that was my rant. Smile
palavra
onemoment wrote:
what did people think about the movie about her? i thought it was pretty good, even though the movie itself was based on a book written about virginia wolf. i would be interested in what a hardcore virginia wolf fan has to think about it. as i have a friend who is very much into sylvia plath, but didnt want to watch the movie sylvia, as she thought it would be terrible and ruin it for her. fair enough. as a photographer myself, i think that the movie fur, movie about the amazing black and white photographer diane arbus would totally anger me. especially since diane arbus is played by nicole kidman, who looks NOTHING like diane arbus, who is jewish. Mad

well that was my rant. Smile

you mean "hours"

just like the books of woolf

melancholy, depression, gloom.
Shewolf
I remember reading her novel "Orlando" ages ago, I think I was around ten years old or something. Even though I did not understand everything in the book, I loved it. Purely. And it made a deep impression on me. I am not actually sure I want to read that book ever again, because i am sort of afraid I got the whole storyline wrong in my head, and that the book not really is like the one I read as a child.
missdixy
She is one of my favorites. I've read msot everything by her, and I really love Jacob's Room.

She was just such a genius writer. And I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way, cuz around here (where I live), all my friends don't like her much....shame shame.
ainieas
We have To the Lighthouse in our college course this year and I must admit it has really been an enjoyable read. I hadnt read any of the stream of consciousness novels before and i think the genre has really got me. I hope we can have more discussions of Woolfe and her work that which will help me in exam! Wink