FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Domain -Solved-

smartbei
I have used one of the many free subdomain services online and created a free subdomain; smartbei.1.vg. I pointed it to ns1.frih.net, and added a domain pointer in DirectAdmin. Ther problem is that while when you type smartbei.1.vg in the address bar it does get to my site, if you click on an inner-site link in the address bar you will see smartbei.frih.net/... The questions is how can I make it so that inner-site links will also show up as smartbei.1.vg/...?

Thanks!
Bondings
You need to change it in joomla.
smartbei
Bondings wrote:
You need to change it in joomla.

Ok, I did, and now the links themselves point to smartbei.1.vg/... but the address bar still shows up as smartbei.frih.net/... How do I get the address bar to show the new domain name as well?

Thanks,
Gahl
devroom
need cloaking
it needs a frame

smartbei.1.vg has a frame which points to frih.net. then you are cloaked
Bondings
It depends on what that subdomain offers to you.

If they would offer real dns redirection to our servers, then you would see and be able to use the urls with that subdomain.

If it's just a redirection, then the only thing you can do is fool your visitors by cloaking. But it will always redirect to the subdomain.
smartbei
Hmmm...I don't want cloaking, because then the URL stays the same "smartbei.1.vg" regardless of the page the user is on.

What I know is that I am currently pointing the smartbei.1.vg subdomain to the frihost name servers, not to my site, and then using a DirectAdmin pointer. I really don't have much understanding in this. Are there free subdomain services that do offer realy dns redirection?
Bondings
smartbei wrote:
Hmmm...I don't want cloaking, because then the URL stays the same "smartbei.1.vg" regardless of the page the user is on.

What I know is that I am currently pointing the smartbei.1.vg subdomain to the frihost name servers, not to my site, and then using a DirectAdmin pointer. I really don't have much understanding in this. Are there free subdomain services that do offer realy dns redirection?

In this case it seems like it is real dns redirection.

Maybe you chose for the wrong option during the domain pointing in DirectAdmin? Maybe try it again?
smartbei
Yep, I just solved the problem and came over here and here was the answer Smile. Apparently, I first added the pointer as an alias, which was correct, but didnt work because joomla was configured wrong. Then, I fixed joomla but before that I changed the domain to a pointer, so the problem continued...Anyway, I got it to work now. Thanks for all your help!
Bondings
Ah great, good news. Very Happy

-locked-