FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Page File problem with FireFox

cheeta
a system running AMD 2600 XP 512MB DDR with 80GB in winXP SP2 (uptodate) a wroing of Low virtual memory (which is set to 768MB) has become very frequent..

when i reffer to the TASK manager this is what i found...

FireFox is eating 729MB of it....

i have not done any ff tweak what so ever with FF... also, the version is 1.5 with only one extention (Adblock) running....

what happned?? why FF is useing so much of VM??

this doesnt happen all the time, though it is frequent...
Blaster
I really don't think that it is true. It may be a bug. make sure you update firefox often.

I am getting for mem usage about 63,500
Animal
That's definately not normal. I've tweaked my Firefox to give it more memory, and it's only using 45Mb.

I'd suggest that you have a look at this page - it gives you instructions on creating a "user.js" file where you can change advanced settings and speed up page loading times (I use it and it does work!). Full instructions are on the site, but this line:

Code:
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 65536);

limits Firefox's maximum cache usage (in Kilobytes). If you set this to something sensible (say 40Mb) then it shouldn't be possible for Firefox to significantly exceed this.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.
Panrac
I also heared, that there is a thing coled memory leak. It is because Fx stores some recently opend pages. But I don't know can this be the problem.

To change it You should in about:config set browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0.
Blaster
Does anyone have an idea of why i am not seeing everything in my processor. I can't see the last line he has.
becks_dn
if have problem you can check again conection
orno
Blaster wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of why i am not seeing everything in my processor. I can't see the last line he has.

1) you might not have the same version
2) you might have to add it

also, before blindly copy-pasting any strings u read here, please refer to one of the many firefox memory consumption threads for a deeper insight. e.g.: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
mateuszjp
cheetaYou should look on used memory, because you have only 20 MB free
driftingfe3s
Firefox is a memory hog, especially if you have tons of extensions enabled. I would try disabling some extensions that you don't use often, if that dosen't help, swtich to Opera! Laughing That's what I did!