FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about multiple PCs on 1 internet connection

DoctorBeaver
I've seen a device that plugs in between a PC and the phone line that allows multiple PCs to share the same internet connection. How does that affect IPs? Does each PC on the connection have it's own IP?

I ask because I'm addressing the issue of banning IPs from my site.
Scorpio
I cant be exactly sure, but I think, they will have a common IP address but may have a different node or port through which they connect to the net.

Something like 212.33.44.12:23223
Diebels
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I've seen a device that plugs in between a PC and the phone line that allows multiple PCs to share the same internet connection. How does that affect IPs? Does each PC on the connection have it's own IP?

I ask because I'm addressing the issue of banning IPs from my site.

Hi there, check out here http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27955&highlight=

good luck
DoctorBeaver
Diebels - I think that's answered the question. Thanks.

I thought IPs were assigned by the ISP so I'm still not sure about how the router might do it.

The situations I've been trying to address are:-

1) Multiple members from the same IP

2) Same member from multiple IPs

I don't want to just ban an IP if there are, say, 2 good members and 1 bad member from the same IP. Just banning usernames won't stop someone who's been banned from re-joining under a different name. Therefore, I have to use a combination of username and IP. That's when I started wondering about shared connections. If an IP address has a node number tagged onto the end then obviously my checking routine would be more complicated than just

Code:
if ($login_ip == $banned_ip)
  boot_them_out();
Nyizsa
You are speaking about a router, I think. In that case, you have two "separate" networks, connected by the router. From "outside", there is only one IP: the IP given by your ISP. "Inside" every PC have their own IP addresses, invisible from "outside". An example: the connection's IP is 230.220.210.200. The router's IP is (usually) 192.168.0.1. There are two PCs, 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.20.
- 192.168.0.10 requests a page from Frihost.
- The request goes to the router.
- The router forwards the request to the actual site: 216.32.68.254.
- Frihost sends the contents to 230.220.210.200.
- The router forwards it to 192.168.0.10.
So, Frihost will never know that you have more than one computer! (Unless you post here Smile )
I hope it helped to understand.
Gieter
Nyizsa wrote:
You are speaking about a router, I think. In that case, you have two "separate" networks, connected by the router. From "outside", there is only one IP: the IP given by your ISP. "Inside" every PC have their own IP addresses, invisible from "outside". An example: the connection's IP is 230.220.210.200. The router's IP is (usually) 192.168.0.1. There are two PCs, 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.20.
- 192.168.0.10 requests a page from Frihost.
- The request goes to the router.
- The router forwards the request to the actual site: 216.32.68.254.
- Frihost sends the contents to 230.220.210.200.
- The router forwards it to 192.168.0.10.
So, Frihost will never know that you have more than one computer! (Unless you post here Smile )
I hope it helped to understand.

That's true. You have to install a router, which will take care of the Internet-traffic. Each computer in the network will have its own IP-address. It really isn't hard at all, the installation is easy too (at least with my router.) Wink
DoctorBeaver
Nyizsa & Gieter - that's what was concerning me. No matter how many PCs were hung on the network, I would only see 1 IP. That doesn't make life easy. Mad

I may need a re-think. Thanks.
Gieter
Well yeah, you have several IP's in your network, but to the outside you only have one IP-address. Are you concerned about gaming or other things like 'one account per IP'?
jayandsilo
I could see a problem with steam there, I have a network but can only play it on one at a time.
alkady
I have two computers on a router with a third coming soon, And after what I've seen, The IP is the same except for the fact that the last digit is diferrent. eg. 22.22 on PC A, 22.23 on PC B.
ocalhoun
From where I'm posting, there are hundreds of computers connected to the internet through one IP.
If you were to ban someone like me, you would just ban the proxy server.
waiteck
You need ethernet lan ports or wireless adapters on your com and a wireless router to connect multiple pcs wirelessly/wired to the internet using 1 acct.
fribee
I think Nyrizsa described the answer to the initial question quite correct.

But of course, there are more problem emerging out of this state of a network:
Even on my own wireless network, which is consisting of 5 Laptops and 1 server I can't even access the elements on my intranet! Forget about playing games within.
I am trying to connect all my network components since more than
1 year, but I gave up recently! There is no way on XP I could have found, which is giving me full access to my own computers! Always a message appears which says: You dont have sufficient administrator rights! Its amazing.

Also at the moment I am running Antivirus and firewalls on each single one PC, although it would be more logic to have these utilities only installed on the server, the main recepient of the Internet connection.

Or maybe not? I don't know. Many unsolved questions with this windows.
Maybe the Windows server 2003 OS is better for putting on server's place,
but again I don't know. Does anyone has some ideas to these extended questions? Thanks in advance

G. N.