FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wants to start drawing - book tips?

beetlejuice
Hi!
I'm interested in learning to draw manga. I have seen several books on the subject and wonder if anybody on the forum has any suggestions as to a good beginner's book? I haven't really drawed anything before, I'm an absolute beginner.
/M
TonkPilz
well for starters before spending any money try the free how to's on the net like this pages

http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/

http://animeworld.com/howtodraw/index.html

or the How to Draw Anime web ring home page.

http://anime.darkpact.com/list.php

find the one u like and stick whit it before going to the next page some pages are more advanced than others and some ar for total rookis
Sizzle
beetlejuice wrote:
Hi!
I'm interested in learning to draw manga. I have seen several books on the subject and wonder if anybody on the forum has any suggestions as to a good beginner's book? I haven't really drawed anything before, I'm an absolute beginner.
/M

I've got a nice book for you. It's not manga, but it is a really cool way to learn how to draw comics.... Especially when it comes to how you pose the characters, what backgrounds to have (or not to have), what angles/distance to draw them from. It worked for me...

The book is called "Drawing the Marvel Way".

Sizzle
dragonflame
I would suggest tracing till you get the basics, then go off to develop your own style.

This is how I learned, and I bet if I showed you some of my drawings now, you wont be too disgusted Smile
Winterborne
www.howtodrawmanga.com

These books seem to be increasing in popularity and you can find them at almost any Books-A-Million, Barnes & Noble, or other book stores of the like. I have over 15 of them currently and they really help alot. They have a nice beginner's series of 8 books, though you might not want to get them all if your not say... going to get into the color art or screentones.

After trying to find the titles I have found out that the site is having a sale so you might want to check it out. Also, the books are a little confusing to find. There is a Volume #10 that's called Getting Started that will be very beneficial. But the first 8 volumes are a bit older and harder to find in the store. Titles are as follows:

Volume 1 - Compiling Characters

Volume 2 - Compiling Techniques

Volume 3 - Compiling Applications

Volume 4 - Dressing Characters

Volume 5 - Shoujo Techniques

Volume 6 - Martial Arts

Volume 7 - Amazing Effects

Volume 8 - Super Basics

Some of the other volumes of interest:

Volume 10 - Getting Started

Volume 20 - Female Characters

Volume 23 - Illustrating Battles

Volume 24 - Occult & Horror

Volume 25 - Bodies & Anatomy

Volume 27 - Male Characters

Volume 28 - Couples

Volume 29 - Putting Things in Perspective

They also have a few other series that are good as well, but I don't have alot of those. If you have any questions on any of the books, let me know. I'll try to answer them. I have most of the ones listed above and a few others. I've had some for a couple years now and I STILL use them for reference tools.
beetlejuice
Thanks everyone for the nice and helpful tips!
delishnoodles
beetlejuice wrote:
Hi!
/M

I dont find those books or tutorials very helpful...Then again, I do intend to teach myself almost everything. O_o Anyways, take art classes, they do help with colour and anatomy. For the anime/manga drawing bits I suggest you look at any book or site you can find about them. ANYTHING
corycaly
I found a good not expensive book made by Yuu watase
its called "learn how to draw manga".
it's clear, simple and it shows how to built a scenario, how to draw it and how to publish it.
Winterborne
I think I've got that one. It's very good ^^
ToxicKissLayouts
just look at some manga in books and start with things like face, then go down to the body.....but you will need a book if you want to do more advanced manga
vertigoflow
Those are all great links, I like the "how to draw manga" series as well.

Also, try "Dynamic Figure Drawing" by Burne Hogarth. It's not in the manga style, but it absolutely blew me away. His drawing are so detailed and it's a great guide to dramatically pose figures.

You can also check out books by Christopher Hart. I would sit down at barnes and nobles or borders and flipping through them to find which one matches your needs best. Watch out though, he's written like 20 books on drawing manga and mostly recycles info so if you buy more than one book by him chances are you're getting a lot of the same info. Much of his stuff can be found cheap online.

Most importantly, spend more time practicing drawing than reading books on drawing. The only way to get better is by actually doing it.
ShawnKelfonne
I own one of the Christopher Hart books, and although it did help somewhat, my personal feelings are that he tries to cram too much into a single book, and therefore never really goes in-depth with the different steps to clean up an image and transform it from his original rough collection of shapes to a finished drawing.

Whichever route you go (books, or classes or searching online, etc), I'd suggest that you look at a variety of sources, you'll get a better feel for different styles, and maybe find one that suits you better than the others.
vanille
TonkPilz wrote:
well for starters before spending any money try the free how to's on the net like this pages....

gosh, thanks for the links! Very Happy
tolerance
Another great online tutorial is J Dillon's:

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial.html

I personally found this (along with Polykarbon) to be more useful (or at least equal) to me than any of the books I've bought (the "How To Draw" series and "Anime & Game Characters"). Not to say they're bad books, but if you're starting out I know the books can be intimidating.

Just remember you won't get through by reading alone, the best way to learn is to go out and make a bunch of ugly mistakes :D
rampantinsanity
I'm trying to learn to draw in the Anime / Manga style myself and I went to my local library and got a few books to practice with. Its a really slow process but so far, so good.

Pretty much the only thing I can say as far as advice goes is to just keep practicing and realize that its not going to look perfect at first, and it will take time but you'll get the hang of it. I suggest trying to draw very simple characters first, with few details and clean simple lines until you are confident enough to try odd poses and complicated costumes complete with those tricky fabric folds.

-Alunasa at Rampant Insanity