FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why this code should be needed?

shamil
Excuse me the code below found in phpbb source code really interests me. Don't understand why this should be needed? Have you any idea?
Code:
      // Strip the trailing period.
      $namespace = substr($namespace, 0, strlen($namespace) - 1);

It is equalent to
Code:
$namespace = $namespace;
isint't it? Rolling Eyes
n0obie4life
The comment tells you. It strips the trailing period. Where as in $namespace = $namespace, it doesn't.

It's probably for security, making sure it cannot be abused Smile.
shamil
n0obie4life wrote:
The comment tells you. It strips the trailing period. Where as in $namespace = $namespace, it doesn't.

It's probably for security, making sure it cannot be abused Smile.

What can be stripped here actually. Can you give any example? Still uncler. It just says $namespace = $namespace.
Kaneda
It always tends to be confusing to use a substring() variant in a new language - some languages have the second parameter be the length, others have it be the index of the last character to extract.

Javascript, for example, has both. substr(index,length) and substring(firstIndex,lastIndex)...

In PHP substr()'s case, the second parameter is the length of the string to extract (like in JS), so:

Code:
$namespace = substr($namespace, 0, strlen($namespace) - 1);

... extracts [the length of the string minus 1] characters starting at the beginning of the string. So yes, it strips the last character. Had the second parameter been the index of the last char to extract, then you'd be right Smile

Example: If we had the string "hello." - 6 characters, then the function call would be equivalent to:

Code:
$namespace = substr($namespace, 0, 6 - 1);
i.e.
$namespace = substr($namespace, 0, 5);

i.e., "extract 5 characters beginning at the first". Which returns "hello" without the period.
shamil
Kaneda wrote:
It always tends to be confusing to use a substring() variant in a new language - some languages have the second parameter be the length, others have it be the index of the last character to extract.

You are right. It confused me. Thanks both guys. Wink