FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Won't go into windows

Talk2Tom11
Hey... my friend just bought a new computer... when they turn it on it goes to the windows boot screen, then a screen with the windows symbol and it says please wait. Then an error message pop's up... saying fatal error, windows has not finished installing. I try to run the windows cd... it loads a bunch of stuff... then when it gives me a blue screen error... if anyone can help.... please post!
Animal
If it's a genuine copy of Windows, you should be able to boot directly from the CD and install it - if you do this, choose to format the current partition. If this doesn't work, it's likely that you've got a damaged CD.

If it's not a genuine copy... buy one and you'll get better results!
Talk2Tom11
it is a genuine copy of windows... the problem is... when i boot from the cd... i get a blue screen of death before i can choose any options.
lukebacon
have u tried looking around on the internet for bootup utilities etc...if u were to put something on a floppy/cd-partition magic might do it, then you may be able to boot from that, scrub the hard disk, and then do a clean install of windows on top of that.

May sound drastic but unfortunately it may be the only option for you, I'm afraid.

You may not even need pmagic, if you can get to a standard DOS command prompt using a Windows 98 boot floppy then you will be able to use the fdisk command to format and therefore scrub ur HDD

Happy hunting!
Bones
Talk2Tom11 wrote:
Hey... my friend just bought a new computer... when they turn it on it goes to the windows boot screen, then a screen with the windows symbol and it says please wait. Then an error message pop's up... saying fatal error, windows has not finished installing. I try to run the windows cd... it loads a bunch of stuff... then when it gives me a blue screen error... if anyone can help.... please post!

If this is a brand new computer then I would be taking it back to the store, especially since about 80% of bluescreen errors are hardware related. There should be a number on the screen that starts with 0x
what is it? Also does the blue screen reference any file names?

Seriously though, you shouldn't have to troubleshoot a brand new pc, I would return it asap, I expect my brand new hardware to work...I guess I'm funny like that Wink
Urahara
I have a solution that might work, but takes time.

If you have older versions of Windows, you can try installing of those first the upgrading to Windows XP.

Also try reformatting your hard drive with a MSDOS Startup, you can find those disks if you search on Google, do not use Quick Format. Change Memory moduels, or take it back.
altec
Talk2Tom11 wrote:

Just return it to where your friend bought it. You should not waste your time troubleshooting it. If you insists in repairing it yourself, the fastest way is to reinstall windows again. All you need to do is to insert the CD, reboot the machine and the CD will automatically install. Just follow the screen instructions, you'll be ok. And, one last thing, you should have the computer's driver CD that contains drivers for the audio, the MB, the LAN, modem, and etc.

And of course, you should have an anti-virus software. It will take just a few minutes before your computer to be infected once you're online.
Xeniczone
a installation blue screen is caused by hardware issues.

unplug any unnessary hardware even the keyboard and mouse if you have to. and try to install.

If that works or you get stuck on a question with no keyboard or mouse try a different keyboard or mouse from a different computer.
Clash
Has the PC got a SATA drive?. Windows XP does not have al the SATA controller drivers included, so you have to install them during the text mode part of the install process. If they haven't been installed properly, you'll get a BSOD at start up.

You need to create a floppy based driver set specifically for the SATA controller. The manufacturers website and the CDROM for the Mobo should have a procedure for creating one.

Copying the windows drivers to a flpppy will not work. The text based part of Windows install requires a file TXTSETUP.OEM that is provided by the manufacturer, and it requires the drivers to be in particular folders on the floppy.

If you've ever noticed at the start of the text based part of install the message starting 'Press F6....'

That's the point you install your floppy.
x-stream
It can´t be a hardware Problem!
If he says, that windows boots, but doesn´t show the user-logon-screen (only a windows symbol and an error), windows was installed first.

My idea is to format the hd and reset the bios. how to do that? read the instruction of your motherboard. Usually there are two pins which you have to connect.
Talk2Tom11
My friend called dell... The told her to hit some key and it fixed everything... turned out that windows was not fully installed. Which i find wierd that it would only be parially installed. but they said that was the problem.

thanks for helping guys.