FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apathy in the world

Do you care what's happening in the world?
Yes, I care.
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
I care, but what can I do?
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
I care, as long as it doesn't effect me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
FTW!...let everyone fry if that's what they want.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Vrythramax
Is there an overwhelming sense of apathy going on in the world or are people just not interested in current events?

EDIT: Poll mistake, 3rd option should have read "I care, as long as it doesn't effect me." My mistake.
n0obie4life
Vrythramax wrote:
EDIT: Poll mistake, 3rd option should have read "I care, as long as it doesn't effect me." My mistake.

I changed the third option for you Smile
myrevolt
Guess which one I picked Twisted Evil Quite frankly trying to make things right won't work if the citizens won't accept it. You can't allows use armed force (though it beats protesting). But my opinion is dynamic and my moods contradict one another. Rolling Eyes The leaders shall be in charge no matter what anyone says and everyone else is sheep (propaganda makes sure of it)
Gieter
I'm quite interested in what happens in the world, the only thing is that I'm more interested in some manners than others, which is logical. It's true however, that's it's very hard to change something by yourself, but you at least can give the start to changing something. And no-one ever died from trying (this is figurative, if you're fighting against a dictator, who knows what will happen...)
DoctorBeaver
I can't be bothered to find out what apathy means Laughing
Soulfire
I do care about all world events. The thing that kills me is voter apathy. What, like 10% of our country votes? Honestly, what the heck is up with that? Then they all complain about who is in office. If you do not vote, you lose your right to complain about whoever is in office.
xkarenflowerx
i care but it's all so overwhelmingly scary sometimes so i find refuge in the painkiller high from sugar.

and then i dissociate from it all with my selective memory.

~

do you think i have been sheltered too much from things and now i can't deal with any of it Sad

. . or is it the sugar? *blames the sugar*
Gieter
Soulfire wrote:
I do care about all world events. The thing that kills me is voter apathy. What, like 10% of our country votes? Honestly, what the heck is up with that? Then they all complain about who is in office. If you do not vote, you lose your right to complain about whoever is in office.

That's true. But here in Belgium, voting is compulsory, and that has some nasty side-effects. People are forced to vote, and some don't want that, and therefore vote for Flemish Interest, because they have some extreme points of view, and this way they think they protest against the establishment. They don't agree with the points of view, or they know too little about the reality.
sparks
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I can't be bothered to find out what apathy means Laughing

Me too

however if you can explain how I can benefit from knowing what it is then maybe I will learn what it is.

It sounds like Apartheid though.

Remember (South Africa when those two groups of people separated themselves from each other)
Vrythramax
sparks wrote:
however if you can explain how I can benefit from knowing what it is then maybe I will learn what it is.

Apathy:

1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

2. Lack of emotion or feeling; impassiveness.

There are no tangible benefits to caring, except maybe a good feeling.

Quote:
It sounds like Apartheid though.

Apartheid:

1. An official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa, involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.

2. A policy or practice of separating or segregating groups.

Not quite the same thing, however one can conceivably lead to another.
Shiva
As long as Its fair what happens in the world, then why should i complain!??

By the Way, i can't do anything to save the world anyway, so why try?? Wink
DoctorBeaver
Soulfire wrote:

I have to disagree with that.

I didn't approve of ANY of the candidates for my area at the last general election. There were points in the manifestos of each party that I strongly disagreed with and would have felt uncomfortable voting for any of them.

As for losing my right to complain... exactly the opposite. It gives me MORE to complain about. If you vote for a party & they don't win, you can complain about the government. I, however, can complain about them all! Evil or Very Mad
Catastrophic Fairy
I care I do I do! But there are just some things that get me a little too angry... I'm not going into details on those things, but lately, caring doesn't get you far. Write a letter to your representitive and hope that THEY care about what you do enough to bring it up. X.x; But since that's all I can do at my status, I might as well just get out the pen and paper. :3
Vrythramax
I found myself in the same situation as DoctorBeaver did in our last election in the US...I didn't like either candidate. I opted not to vote for either one of them, but I have been a registered voter for the last 27 years and have participated in each election prior to the last one mentioned. I don't believe that my choice not to vote for either of the available candidates should result in my loss of my right to speak out on any matters that concern me or my family. That is still my right and I have earned that right over the years.

Unfortunatly in the US we have to choose who is not always the best candidate for the job, but to try to decide which of the candidates is worst for the job and select from the remainder.

I do agree that voter turnout and participation is at an all-time low, but to arbitrarily say that if you don't vote you have no right to speak out, is just wrong. Our rights and freedoms in the US were not given to us under the condition we participate in the government selection process...that's just another one of the rights we are afforded, as is the right to not participate if we chose not to.
rightclickscott
Psh, apathy. Not my problem.
Magebloom
Shiva wrote:
As long as Its fair what happens in the world, then why should i complain!??

By the Way, i can't do anything to save the world anyway, so why try?? Wink

If everyone who says they cant make a difference actually tried to make a difference the world would be a better place for it, well, either that or torn in two by people having conflicting ideas on the world.

Personally I care and believe greatly in the motto of "every little helps" but then you have to take the point of defining the context of "world".

Is it everything we see and hear around us, the planet we live on or the space that exists between our ears?

Everyone cares about themselves (some more than others!), some care about their habitat and only a few care for the planet we live on.

Shame it isnt the other way round but we're only human!
mOrpheuS
rightclickscott wrote:
Psh, apathy. Not my problem.

Laughing

Vrythramax wrote:
I don't believe that my choice not to vote for either of the available candidates should result in my loss of my right to speak out on any matters that concern me or my family.

I totally agree.

If we have two persons contesting an election to represent us,
who decided, in the first place, that these two persons are the best of the lot for the job ?

Anybody who secured below 50% of votes is not a true representative.
While it's easy to blame the public for a dismal election participation, all it really means in true sense is that we don't have leaders good enough to decide amongst.

On apathy ...
It's just the political leaders who can really "make a difference" of a substantial scale ... and no self-respecting person picks that profession (unless inherited or due to other unfortunate circumstances) Wink
Garnet
Anyone noticed that really cold and tense atmosphere that develops whenever a do-gooder is nearby? I was at a party and this nice fellow who's been helping out in Afica came over to chat with everyone and I swear the conversation slowed to a drizzle. It was like everyone expected to be scolded for their lack of enthusiasm...

I've seen people try to express concern, or to discuss ways to help and the people around them just kind of release this vibe (well not really I don't believe in "vibes" ) like they'd rather their nice little conversation about Desperate Housewives wasn't changed.

So yes. My guess is that truthfully a lot of people would select " I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me."