FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Problem getting windows updates





TheGeek
Ok, im having a problem downloading microsoft updates. Im not sure what the problem is here so im hoping that you guys can at least give me direction where to go if not a solution to the problem.

Ok, well on the microsoft website while in internet explorer, i click on the update link and it starts to run that activeX bull about checking or this and that and then it returns with an error saying that i do not have administrative rights and therefore cannot update my system...now, im the only person on this computer, so i have given myself on this account administrative privledges over the system for obvious reasons...and yet it tells me that it thinks that i do not have these rights. What could possibly be the matter? I have already tried clearing cookies and history logs and running multiple virus scans and adware scans and have yet to find anything out of the ordinary, so i am at a loss of what to do.
manumiglani
are you sure you have the administrative rights on the computer ? This problem arises when you are not logged into xp with the administrative account. how many accounts do u have on your system ? If you have a guest account, close your guest account and then try. you can also try, going to control panel > security center and then turn on automatic updates if they are off.
TheGeek
thats the weird thing, i know im administrator on my computer, i have a guest account an an administrative account on the computer and the administrative one is the one that im always on. Also i know that auto security updates are turned on.

Thats the weird thing, i know that everything that SHOULD be in place for this to work is there, yet, it does not work, is there possibly a problem with the IE Service pack 1 update that could be causing this confusing, or is it possible that ActiveX could have gotten corrupted and if thats the case how would i remedy either case?
manumiglani
TheGeek wrote:
thats the weird thing, i know im administrator on my computer, i have a guest account an an administrative account on the computer and the administrative one is the one that im always on. Also i know that auto security updates are turned on.

Thats the weird thing, i know that everything that SHOULD be in place for this to work is there, yet, it does not work, is there possibly a problem with the IE Service pack 1 update that could be causing this confusing, or is it possible that ActiveX could have gotten corrupted and if thats the case how would i remedy either case?


I am sorry if i offended you in any way. It was not my intention.

Is your computer connected to a network ? network policy settings might also prevent you from completing windows update.

also, which version of IE are you using ?

go to IE > internet Options> security and then click on default level,
also go to IE > internet Options> security > local intranet and bring down the security level for the zone to low.

also plz see that windows update site is not listed in restricted sites. There was a spyware which was programmed to do the same thing.
TheGeek
sorry, no you did not offend me, i am just getting a little frustrated at this because i need to update and it has been a while.

Well to my knowledge nothing with our network has not changed, and im running IE6 with service pack 1. The only thing that i cannot confirm right now is whether or not its a restricted site, nor do i know how to check for this. How do i check for this, and i will do it as soon as im at my home computer.
manumiglani
go to internet explorer > tools > internet options > security > restricted sites.


remove the windows update website if mentioned there.
TheGeek
ok well i looked and its not on the block list so the only thing that might have changed that i wouldnt be aware of at the moment is the network, ill go check that and get back to you with more on that case. Would there be ANYTHING else that this could be, cuz i really dont want to have to re-install...again, even though its been over a year since my last one and i know i should. Its just such a haste to have to do that. Ecspecially when i dont even know if that will cure the problem.
manumiglani
Try This

Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. and then click Windows Update. Allow explorer.exe to access the network, if it is blocked by antivirus or antispyware.
abhishek_2410
may be u have a pirated version of windows check with microsoft
manumiglani
abhishek_2410 wrote:
may be u have a pirated version of windows check with microsoft



I think it does not matter if you want to download windows update. Anyone with a pirated windows can still update his windows.
Animal
manumiglani wrote:
I think it does not matter if you want to download windows update. Anyone with a pirated windows can still update his windows.


If you're running a version of Windows that is illegal, you can still get critical security updates through Automatic Update only. If the version of Windows that you have is illegal then you won't be able to use the Windows Update website.
manumiglani
Animal wrote:
manumiglani wrote:
I think it does not matter if you want to download windows update. Anyone with a pirated windows can still update his windows.


If you're running a version of Windows that is illegal, you can still get critical security updates through Automatic Update only. If the version of Windows that you have is illegal then you won't be able to use the Windows Update website.


I do not think that you got it right. I can be wrong as always.

I am sitting at a Internet cafe right now and i am dam sure that its a pirated windows on which i am browsing on.

i opened google.com

it redirects me to google.co.in directly.





then i searched for windows update

and it showed me windowsupdate.microsoft.com on the 1st rank.



I clicked on it and was taken to microsoft's windows update website

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us



then i clicked on start to start the windows update and it showed me this page.

which states
Quote:
Now you can get updates for Windows, Office and other Microsoft applications all in one place. Microsoft Update is a new service that brings you all the features and benefits of Windows Update plus downloads for other Microsoft applications including Office.


and after then i clicked start now

which takes me to this page which has a button continue


and when i clicked on continue link

it showed me that weather i want to install it or not.

Animal
You will need to download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage tool in order to download updates. This will not work if it is a pirated version of Windows. If it does work, and it definately is a pirated version then there has been an illegal patch applied to the Windows that you are using.

See this link from Microsoft for full details.
manumiglani
Animal wrote:
You will need to download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage tool in order to download updates. This will not work if it is a pirated version of Windows. If it does work, and it definately is a pirated version then there has been an illegal patch applied to the Windows that you are using.

See this link from Microsoft for full details.


Straight from Microsoft's website

Quote:
Genuine Windows downloads are available, without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Vista, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.
Animal
manumiglani wrote:
Straight from Microsoft's website

Quote:
Genuine Windows downloads are available, without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Vista, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.


Yeah. That's standalone downloads like Windows Media Player and MS Anti-Spyware. Windows Update won't (or at least, shouldn't) work.
manumiglani
Animal wrote:
manumiglani wrote:
Straight from Microsoft's website

Quote:
Genuine Windows downloads are available, without validation, to customers running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Vista, and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.


Yeah. That's standalone downloads like Windows Media Player and MS Anti-Spyware. Windows Update won't (or at least, shouldn't) work.


It requires a validation check to download MS antispyware but no check is required to download Windows Update.
Related topics
Major Problem with COmputer. Help Please
Web Hosting in Languages other than English
Is selling MS Windows XP illegal?
My Computer hanging problem in Windows 2003.
Windows Updates!!!
Wine and Darwine
The windows XP shudown bug?
Problem in Windows Update
Keyboard Language Problem with Windows XP SP2
Windows 7 Official Thread
Windows Vista update serious error
Windows 7 RC1 on a HP tx2000 tablet
Im not able to download windows updates
WoW No Longer Compatible with Windows 2000
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.