FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why cant i read dvd9?!

engeland
My notebook cant read dvd9's. The rest of the dvds would work fine. What's with this dvd version anyway? Is there a way to fix this? I've searched for CODECS over the internet but the closest i got was Gspot, which doesnt even work...

Please delete this thread if it goes against Frihost TOS. Confused

If it doesn't help Confused
Diebels
engeland wrote:
My notebook cant read dvd9's. The rest of the dvds would work fine. What's with this dvd version anyway? Is there a way to fix this? I've searched for CODECS over the internet but the closest i got was Gspot, which doesnt even work...

Please delete this thread if it goes against Frihost TOS. Confused

If it doesn't help Confused

Hi, DVD9 is double layer (8.5 GB). It seems that your Laptop can΄t read this format just the standard DVD5 (4.7GB)

Diebels
desertwind
Which DVD-ROM are you using. Maybe it may not have an option to read DVD+DL or DVD-DL or both.
engeland
what's a dvd-dl and dvd+dl? the only ones ive heard of is dvd+/-r or dvd+/-rw .

There's no way i can read dual layer then??? Confused
Urahara
I think:

dvd+/-r: Only writable, cannot be erased.

or dvd+/-rw: Erasable, can be only multiple times.

If you can, tell us about the DVD Drive on your Notebook, and we'll see if it can read double layer or not, I've never this problem.
Bones
engeland wrote:
what's a dvd-dl and dvd+dl? the only ones ive heard of is dvd+/-r or dvd+/-rw .

There's no way i can read dual layer then??? Confused

Most people don't refer to dual layer dvd's as dvd-dl, they are usually called dvd-9.
If your dvd drive is an older drive then it may very well not be able to read dual layer dvds (dvd+9, dvd-9, and dvd-RAM)

It may also be the brand of dvd you are using. have you trid different brands of dvd 9 disk? Also you might want to try a firmware upgrade to the drive itself from the manufacturer's website. There are compatibility firmware upgrades released all the time for my dvd writer to make it more campatible with different disks.
SoftStag
As Bones says, a firmware update will normally be available for this. You will need to know exactly what make and model of drive you have and obtain the correct firmware from the drive manufacturer.
engeland
ouch well i checked with HP.com and their firmware updates dont include the ones for me to read the dvd. Last updated june05. Prolly gota wait a little longer. Confused Thanx for your help everyone Wink
SoftStag
Are you looking for updates for the drive or the laptop motherboard? You need one for the drive in particular.
engeland
so its a hardware issue?

i thought it was just a driver update or something Confused
desertwind
Most probably it is a h/w issue. Can you post the exact model and make of your drive. Probably i can help better then.
SoftStag
Well, technically it is a software issue. Unless the drive is incapable of reading DVD-9 disks, in which case it is hardware incompatability. What you need to do is update the firmware on the drive. This is a bit of software on a chip on the drive itself. The firmware basically controls the drive and interprets the what is read by the laser before passing on to the PC. It is quite common for firmware updates to come out for optical drives to improve compatability with different media.
tabish
desertwind wrote:
Most probably it is a h/w issue. Can you post the exact model and make of your drive. Probably i can help better then.

well i am having the same problem related to reading of DVD-9 disks into my laptop's DVD ROM
it's an DVD+R DL type ROM & it's code is DR-TD08HB comes with my HP Pavilion Dv4 Laptop,
please suggest me how to resolve this problem...
& can i be able to upgrade my ROM's framework ?
fabianonetto
As you said, the trouble is with your laptop dvd device. In some laptop models, you can easily remove the dvd drive (dell laptops for example) and on the label at the top of it you can check what is the exacly model of it.

I had a problem once with an LG DVD WRITTER. It coudn't write dual layer discs (dvd-9) but when I looked for it's firmware on the internet, i saw that, altought it was sold as LG brand, it was in fact manufactured by HP and I updated it's firmware with a file downloaded from hp web site and it solved my problem.

Try removing your device and checking wich model it is and who's the real manufacturer (hp, lg, toshiba, etc)

Fabiano
rockpan
hi, guys,
this is a thread opened in 2006,
there shouldn't be a problem of DVD-ROM in 2010 or 2011.
roadwayws
I have 2 Dual layer DVD's
I put a Dual layer DVD in and they read 7.9gb
The files I have to copy are 8.4gb.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Windows Vista 64bit.
Confused