FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do any of you know why

Hogwarts
I've had a monitor for about four years, it's served me well no doubt. Its a 19" CRT monitor. I also have a GeForce 6200 and the power for the monitor comes through my computer.

Here's the problem:
Every time I turn my computer on (when the monitor is connected) the monitor does not turn on, even when the power is turned on, it just makes a constant clicking sound. Why is it doing this? Do you think it's time to get a new monitor (currently I am using my TV as a screen) or should I see if i can repair it and if not should i get it repaired?
ezekiel_rage
Hogwarts wrote:
I've had a monitor for about four years, it's served me well no doubt. Its a 19" CRT monitor. I also have a GeForce 6200 and the power for the monitor comes through my computer.

Here's the problem:
Every time I turn my computer on (when the monitor is connected) the monitor does not turn on, even when the power is turned on, it just makes a constant clicking sound. Why is it doing this? Do you think it's time to get a new monitor (currently I am using my TV as a screen) or should I see if i can repair it and if not should i get it repaired?

Before you spend on repairs;

Have you tried to plug your monitor directly to your power source (AVR, UPS or wall outlet) and not get the power for your monitor from the PC's power supply?

Maybe the problem is because your PC's power supply is not giving enough juice to your monitor.
Clash
Hogwarts wrote:

A 19" monitor will pull about 150w

Depending on your computer PSU, but assuming it's as old as your Monitor, it will probably only deliver 300w. If you've added extra hard disks, cdrom drives and even your Nvidia will probably pull more than the 150w that your PSU has left. Therefore the Monitor will not get enough power.

Do something with it quickly, because you'll damage your monitor if you leave it the way it is.
Hogwarts
It's been working fine since about August last year (in this setup) so i don't know why its not working. I have tried connecting the monitor to mains and it still does not turn on, and I have tried my sisters 19" on this computer yet and that works fine. Right now I'm using a 15" monitor. I'll post the dxdiag file if you want.
Clash
Have you tried plugging the monitor into another computer? It probably won't work given what you're saying here, but it's worth a try to confirm that it's the monitor that is faulty.

Assuming that it doesn't work on another system, I'm afraid it's the repair shop or the bin Sad
Hogwarts
nope, it doesn't. ill take it to the repairshop sometime soon
SoftStag
It definately soiunds faulty. With the price of CRT monitors at the moment, I wouldn't bother getting it repaired, buy a new one and you'll usually get a 3 year warranty included.
Blaster
I would just buy a new one. Its not worth it to just keep the one you have. It must be faulty.
TeenZine
ezekiel_rage wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

Here's the problem:

Before you spend on repairs;

Have you tried to plug your monitor directly to your power source (AVR, UPS or wall outlet) and not get the power for your monitor from the PC's power supply?

Maybe the problem is because your PC's power supply is not giving enough juice to your monitor.

That is often the problem ( fixed 3 computers just doday with that same problem and the solution listed above ! good luck !
Urahara
Last time I had that problem the CRT was completely burnt due to not getting enough power. I'd get a new power supply or think of some upgrading paths before my other hardware burns out as well.