FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Ipods are overrated!





knowme640
In today's music industry, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player. They cost around $200. But the only reason people would shell out that much cash for them is because of the name. People want to join the crowd. They care about having what is "in."

And if you don't believe me, just look at the iPod Shuffle. You can't even choose your song with it. And it doesn't even store as many songs as a generic MP3 player you can get with $40.

So my point is, if you don't have the funds to buy an iPod, you can settle for any other MP3 player. There's probably no difference between them except the name.
Hobbit
The iPod video is very good though, I don't know of any others that can do that and have 30 gigs, prove me wrong.

But I agree, I have a dell dj, it doesn't have graphics or anything but it plays music, which is the whole purpose of it.
lamaldad
You are manipulating the facts.

$200 is the price of a 2GB iPod Nano; a Shuffle costs from $69.

IMHO, you need to develop your point a little more before a discussion can take place.
Gieter
What you're saying about the Ipod Shuffle is right, Apple just made it to get profit out of it. Ipod is a hype. But why? Probably because you have a bigger screen than other MP3-players, and the scrolling wheel makes it easier to select the song you want. And it also looks good, and the eyes also want something. Wink
Garnet
The I-tunes take up way less space than my previous MP3 player, and the whole thing is just a little more simple than the other ones I've tried. I agree though that the whole thing is a little blown out of proportion for a mp3 player. Everyone at my gym has one - probably more for style than anything else.

haha the shuffle is a little on the sad side.
bladesage
I decided to go for something that is versatile, universal, and sweet looking. And, sure enough, I found it!

Introducing the iriver U10! Only $200! It sounds like a lot, but try comparing it with ipod. It has 512 MB, and it supports:

.mp3, .wma, .avi, .mpg, .jpg, .bmp, .swf, .gif, .txt, FM radio, and voice recording with a built-in microphone!

That's right, it runs video, music, text files, flash games, pictures, and plenty more. Try getting all that from ipod for that kind of price! It has this sweet 2.5 in. screen, and the background changes color automatically every day (or you can choose either a constant color, or a picture of choice).

I'd have to say, what really makes me loathe ipod with a passion, is the company it's from. They lost me so much money in the stock market, it's not even funny. And of course they are a subsidiary of the #1 competitor of one of my favorite companies. Ipod sucks! They think they can get away with any quality for any price, and they can. It's all because of their reputation. They are such a rip off, though. Not enough people can comprehend that, because of the brand's unbeatable reputation.

It really sickens me.
bladesage
lamaldad wrote:
You are manipulating the facts.

$200 is the price of a 2GB iPod Nano; a Shuffle costs from $69.

IMHO, you need to develop your point a little more before a discussion can take place.


Dude, there is no manipulation in my eyes, except what ipod uses to lure in today's society. Space isn't everything. I have exponentially more functionality in my player, and I can fit all the songs and video I want on it, depending on how much I compress the files. The sound quality always remains the same regardless of compression levels.

The ipod shuffle is a laughable little piece of crap. My friend got one, and he is constantly complaining about it. You can't choose the song, or even view what you're listening to. He has to shuffle through 200+ songs to find what he wants. Call me critical, but I would take my higher-priced, marvelous player over that sin against technology any day.

Why do people still buy the thing? More importantly, why would companies spend millions developing it? It sounds absolutly retarded to me Rolling Eyes.
lamaldad
bladesage wrote:
I decided to go for something that is versatile, universal, and sweet looking. And, sure enough, I found it!

Introducing the iriver U10! Only $200! It sounds like a lot, but try comparing it with ipod. It has 512 MB, and it supports:

.mp3, .wma, .avi, .mpg, .jpg, .bmp, .swf, .gif, .txt, FM radio, and voice recording with a built-in microphone!

That's right, it runs video, music, text files, flash games, pictures, and plenty more. Try getting all that from ipod for that kind of price! It has this sweet 2.5 in. screen, and the background changes color automatically every day (or you can choose either a constant color, or a picture of choice).

I'd have to say, what really makes me loathe ipod with a passion, is the company it's from. They lost me so much money in the stock market, it's not even funny. And of course they are a subsidiary of the #1 competitor of one of my favorite companies. Ipod sucks! They think they can get away with any quality for any price, and they can. It's all because of their reputation. They are such a rip off, though. Not enough people can comprehend that, because of the brand's unbeatable reputation.

It really sickens me.


$200 dollars for 512MB? Don't you feel ripped off? a $69 Shuffle has the same amount of space, is way smaller.. and you want it to play music, dont you? I mean, what's the use of having video in a measly 512MB?

And please tell me, how on earth have you lost money on Apple stock? It has tripled in the last two years!
dray101
"Ipods are overrated!"

I agree. I have a MP3, a Creative Zen Touch. I have never had any other MP3 players but have used a few and I reckon that the Zen Touch beats them all. Very Happy

It may be a little big but it sure isn't going to break (I've dropped it quite a few times). It has a 20G hard drive, an FM radio, a voice recorder and awesome sound quality. Razz

I recon that MP3 players should just be for music and that's why I think the Creative MP3 players are the best, because Creative are experts on audio (making sound cards and all) Rolling Eyes

Anyway when I brought my Mp3 player I didn't look twice at an Ipod. I looked at what would best fit my needs (ie. NOT an Ipod) Wink
bladesage
lamaldad wrote:
bladesage wrote:
I decided to go for something that is versatile, universal, and sweet looking. And, sure enough, I found it!

Introducing the iriver U10! Only $200! It sounds like a lot, but try comparing it with ipod. It has 512 MB, and it supports:

.mp3, .wma, .avi, .mpg, .jpg, .bmp, .swf, .gif, .txt, FM radio, and voice recording with a built-in microphone!

That's right, it runs video, music, text files, flash games, pictures, and plenty more. Try getting all that from ipod for that kind of price! It has this sweet 2.5 in. screen, and the background changes color automatically every day (or you can choose either a constant color, or a picture of choice).

I'd have to say, what really makes me loathe ipod with a passion, is the company it's from. They lost me so much money in the stock market, it's not even funny. And of course they are a subsidiary of the #1 competitor of one of my favorite companies. Ipod sucks! They think they can get away with any quality for any price, and they can. It's all because of their reputation. They are such a rip off, though. Not enough people can comprehend that, because of the brand's unbeatable reputation.

It really sickens me.


$200 dollars for 512MB? Don't you feel ripped off? a $69 Shuffle has the same amount of space, is way smaller.. and you want it to play music, dont you? I mean, what's the use of having video in a measly 512MB?

And please tell me, how on earth have you lost money on Apple stock? It has tripled in the last two years!


No. I do not feel ripped off in any way whatsoever (as far as my U10 goes). I can enjoy watching music vids on the go. And, 512 more than covers the media I use. I bought 100 shares in Apple, and in the first week, they were down almost 2 bucks. Although, Google lost me waaaaay more. And Irobot went bankrupt and made me lose it all. I bought only 3 shares in Google, since they were over $300 each. And they lost me over 180 of that. Now, I don't see how people could like them Rolling Eyes.

Okay, I admit, I got off topic. But I would NEVER spend $69 on a media player that doesn't have a screen. Plus, my U10 comes with an awesome warranty, and they replaced it for free with UPS next-day air. I wouldn't consider the shuffle worth sending in for replacement.
sangharsha
You cant blame iPod for its popularity.

Its the music that counts not the price or its popularity.

Sometimes i also feel in the same way but actually its the music that counts as i had already said.

Try listening your fav music in the fav place in the fav mood.

Have u seen that ad of mastercard.

Take it this way "Item XYZ $aa, Item ABC $bb, Your fav music: Priceless"
Gieter
sangharsha wrote:
You cant blame iPod for its popularity.

Its the music that counts not the price or its popularity.

Sometimes i also feel in the same way but actually its the music that counts as i had already said.

Try listening your fav music in the fav place in the fav mood.

Have u seen that ad of mastercard.

Take it this way "Item XYZ $aa, Item ABC $bb, Your fav music: Priceless"


You don't by the music if you buy an Ipod. It's not because your favourite music is priceless that the device to play your favourite music may be priceless too... Wink However, I still find that Ipod has its value, because it isn't a regular MP3-player.
kiranaghor
I have an ipod and i am really satisfied with it in every way. There are other mp3 players in the market but they all kept their prices low and added some features to compete with ipod. But if ipod fulfills it purpose who needs some other company stuff! I must say ipods are well priced as I can store my data on it too and use it as a backup disk. Plus the iTunes software is amazing.
jamesmackle
I had my Ipod for only 14 months and the hard disk failed on me. Apple wont replace it unless I pay loads of money. They are a waste of money. I would recommend another mp3 player of Ipod any day!
bladesage
jamesmackle wrote:
I had my Ipod for only 14 months and the hard disk failed on me. Apple wont replace it unless I pay loads of money. They are a waste of money. I would recommend another mp3 player of Ipod any day!


I would suggest, if you can afford it, considering an iriver product. I enjoy the U10 model very much, but it was a bit pricy. In theory, it wouldn't really matter too much what model you choose from them, since my point is that the warranty is absolutely unbelievable. I had them replace it, and all I had to pay was shipping and mail insurance, which, even for a $200 product, was only under $5. They inspected it, decided to replace it, and mailed it to me in next-day air, in under a week. They replaced the whole thing, then spent an additional $35.97 to ensure it arrived to me as soon as possible.

Now, is that awesome service, or what? Razz

And the warranty is good for another 3 years! If it ever craps out again, I will experience this service yet again! Not that I want it to crap out again Wink
Kaneda
Hobbit wrote:
The iPod video is very good though, I don't know of any others that can do that and have 30 gigs, prove me wrong.


The Archos series of portable video players have up to (as far as I recall) 80GB, and also support standard AVIs (containing MPEG4) + WM9 (both dreadful formats compared to QuickTime but widely supported Wink) They also sport a slightly larger screen than the iPod video, and have longer battery life for video playback.

Nevertheless I have an iPod Video (got it cheap through my company and paid what amounts to $180 - the retail price here is around $300-340). I've always told people to look for cheaper alternatives to iPod when buying, but... A long time back I had the Creative Nomad Jukebox III (quite OK, but huge, and lacked USB Mass Storage Drive capability), had a Zen for a short while (harddisk died after a month), looked at some iRivers (didn't like their style or interface), been through feature lists of just about any other mp3 player on the market, and finally decided on the one thing I recommended everyone else to not buy Wink

The 5G iPod also improved the audio quality (with a proper set of headphones) to be better than Creative (which was my main reason for sticking with Creative before then).

To me, there's a huge difference other than the name - the design (external and internal + interfacewise), the audio quality (what it all comes down to), the intuitiveness, and the community support (iPodLinux etc. - close to every bit of the iPod is documented).
BruceTheDauber
I think the iPod is overrated. It's no better than its rivals, and arguably in some cases not as good. The technology is not Apple's. The HD iPods get their hard disks from Toshiba (some older models are from Hitachi), so an HD iPod is really a Toshiba Gigabeat in a different box, and the flash iPods get their flash memory from Samsung. If you buy a Samsung MP3 player, you get the same thing.

The music processor chip is the same product that most of their rivals use. So, what comes from Apple is the white box, the click-wheel (and their user interface is an imitation of that of the Creative Zen, though, ironically, Creative get accused of copying Apple), and the battery, which is notoriously poor in the case of Apple products.

Of course, some people think the white box is great (I don't. To me, the thing looks like a cheap bar of soap from a third-rate hotel, compared to much better-looking products from Sony and Toshiba), and they think the click wheel is much better than other controls, but I'm skeptical about that. If people are right about the click-wheel, and they don't care about the batteries, then I suppose iPods may have the edge, but it's not enough of an edge to explain why they have 85%+ of some markets. I think the only explanation for that is hype and PR.
BruceTheDauber
PS. iTunes shop is evil. Why does Apple not licence its proprietary copy protection technology? It is obviously trying to create a monopoly. Fortunately, the French government have decided that what Apple is doing is illegal, so things will have to change. Sony are engaged in the same nonsense. People should refuse to use the Sony ATRAC and and Apple FairPlay (ironic name, that) formats as a matter of principle, and they should refuse ever to download music from the Sony Music and Apple iTunes sites until those companies change their tune. Sly monopolists must be punished.
Kaneda
BruceTheDauber wrote:
The music processor chip is the same product that most of their rivals use.


Sorry, but nope. The DACs in iPods are delivered by Wolfson Multimedia, the CPU/audio decoder by PortalPlayer (subcontracting to other companies to produce their own design). This combination is, as far as I'm aware, in one (1) other MP3 player on the market: The iRiver H10 - and even there, the actual chip series differ.

Last time I checked, there were about 6-7 non-iPod players - players, not companies - that used PortalPlayer. While Creative and Dell, for example, tend to use Texas Instruments as DSP chip supplier (the TMS320) for all their players.

Quote:
Of course, some people think the white box is great (I don't. To me, the thing looks like a cheap bar of soap from a third-rate hotel, compared to much better-looking products from Sony and Toshiba)


I agree. The black box is great, however Wink

Quote:
Why does Apple not licence its proprietary copy protection technology? It is obviously trying to create a monopoly.


Ha ha ha... A few years ago, people asked the same. Only the thing that was "obvious" back then was that iPod's and iTunes Store would surely die, like the Macintosh did (reason given: Because Apple didn't license that).

As for the infamous user interface case, it shows exactly why patents on software should be dropped (see http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/). I like Creative as much as Apple, but the structure of Creative's interface is (just about) the only logical and user friendly way to emulate the computer interfaces of today while still maintaining a large amount of screen estate for titles etc. And Creative's interface for the Nomad Jukeboxes, left a lot to be desired compared to Apple's (albeit similar) solution.
BruceTheDauber
Kaneda wrote:
BruceTheDauber wrote:
The music processor chip is the same product that most of their rivals use.


Sorry, but nope. The DACs in iPods are delivered by Wolfson Multimedia, the CPU/audio decoder by PortalPlayer (subcontracting to other companies to produce their own design). This combination is, as far as I'm aware, in one (1) other MP3 player on the market: The iRiver H10 - and even there, the actual chip series differ...


You may be right in claiming that the exact combination is only used by one other player (or, more strictly, player series), but nearly everyone is using something by either PortalPlayer or Wolfson, so the iPod's audio technology is very standard. It is third party, and it doesn't stand out from the crowd.

Kaneda wrote:
BruceTheDauber wrote:
Why does Apple not licence its proprietary copy protection technology? It is obviously trying to create a monopoly.


Ha ha ha... A few years ago, people asked the same. Only the thing that was "obvious" back then was that iPod's and iTunes Store would surely die, like the Macintosh did (reason given: Because Apple didn't license that).


I don't know about any predictions that it would die, but the aim of creating lock-in has always been obvious to anyone who gave it a moment's thought.

Kaneda wrote:
As for the infamous user interface case, it shows exactly why patents on software should be dropped (see http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/).


I disagree with you on software patents. I think the general war on intellectual property, of which the war on software patents is a part, is profoundly misguided, or cynical and disingenuous. It is absolutely right that inventors should have a right to benefit from their inventions, regardless of what materials those inventions are made from. Without patents, the Google guys would still be poor, because Yahoo and Microsoft would have stolen their ideas. That aside, I don't think the iPod's interface was ever significantly better than Zen's. What Apple did have in their favour was that they had sub 2-inch hard disks long before Creative were able to get them (a product of their greater buying power), so their machines were, for a good while, substantially smaller than Creative's, and that was a definite selling point. Other than that, I don't think they ever had much on their rivals besides a huge PR budget.
bladesage
As far as I'm concerned,

Itunes store is malware.

They installed themselves in my computer, showed two-three popups every time I started my PC, and once removed (also a pain), many of its internal software components were detected as: Spyware, adware, trojans, tracking cookies, and even one hijacker.

They randomly installed themselves, I was just transfering some of my songs to my iriver, and I suddenly got "Thank you for installing Itunes! Your computer must restart now." I would never want to use itunes, or the ipods that they seem to join forces with. I just had a bad experience, but I ended up suffering in the end overall.

Itunes and ipods can all be sent back to the random trash heap they came from... Think...no, if they did, then the others wouldn't seem so good without something to compare to. That's all they're good for in my eyes.
BruceTheDauber
bladesage wrote:
As far as I'm concerned,

Itunes store is malware.



I agree. And Apple are very sneaky about pushing their malware onto everyone's PC or laptop. Go to the Quicktime download site and see how easy it is (or not) to download Quicktime without also getting iTunes. There must be millions of people who have iTunes and have no idea how they got it.
alkady
BruceTheDauber wrote:
bladesage wrote:
As far as I'm concerned,

Itunes store is malware.



I agree. And Apple are very sneaky about pushing their malware onto everyone's PC or laptop. Go to the Quicktime download site and see how easy it is (or not) to download Quicktime without also getting iTunes. There must be millions of people who have iTunes and have no idea how they got it.


Actually, if you check your fact, When you install Quicktime, it says QuickTime + iTunes, If you uninstall iTunes, You also uninstall QuickTime.
bladesage
alkady wrote:
BruceTheDauber wrote:
bladesage wrote:
As far as I'm concerned,

Itunes store is malware.



I agree. And Apple are very sneaky about pushing their malware onto everyone's PC or laptop. Go to the Quicktime download site and see how easy it is (or not) to download Quicktime without also getting iTunes. There must be millions of people who have iTunes and have no idea how they got it.


Actually, if you check your fact, When you install Quicktime, it says QuickTime + iTunes, If you uninstall iTunes, You also uninstall QuickTime.


Hehe, no. I've uninstalled Itunes, but Quicktime remains. I keep it for when Nintendo does videos in Quicktime format, which they always do.
Arnie
I wish there was a YTMND player.
Apolytes
Ipods are a ripoff, so are most other mp3 players. But ipod's are the biggest ripoff of all

Check this, a 1GB ipod shuffle costs $99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7011841&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat10200050002&id=1099392727129
with it you can play mp3s in shuffle or in order mode
its small and handy

A 1GB sandisk mp3 player costs $99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=DK3FKGBJ342A5KC4D3LVAFI?id=1138086672335&skuId=7712923&type=product
with it you can play mp3s in shuffle or order mode
its small and handy
it has an fm tuner
it has a color display
it has a graphic equalizer
voice recorder
you can *choose* the song u want to play as well as shuffle
it supports images as well as mp3s
it works as a flash disk
you can subscribe to twice the amount of digital services...



30GB Ipod $299:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7565422&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat10200050002&id=1128989866420
320x200 color screen
supports most audio and image formats as well as mpeg4 video
battery life supports 2 hrs of video

30GB Creative labs ZenVision $299:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7657555&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat10200050002&id=1134700863114
320x200 color screen
supports most audio and image formats as well as mpeg4 video, mpeg 1, mpeg 2, divx, xvid, and wmv video
battery life supports 4 hrs of video

if you bought an ipod you watch too much tv

Food for thought:

mp3 players like sandisk's line use 1 flash disk in all of their players
previously it was a 1GB flash disk, now its 2GB
the firmware decides how much of the disk to use
thats right the FIRMWARE
when u pay for a 512MB mp3 player you are buying the exact same thing as a 2GB mp3 player except the software limits the use of the flash disk

mp3 players like the iriver require windows xp and windows media player, they do not function as a flash disk. linux users have only been able to get around this by using korean flash disk support firmware hax. so who are u paying, iriver or microsoft??

investigate before you buy
imera
I bought iPod because I needed a mp3 that had a lot of space and would live after some times falling in the floor and crashing into things, clumsy me :p

I bought another mp3 about a year ago and paid the same as this one, stupid of me, I could only put around 25 songs on that, I have now around 700 songs on my new mp3.

I just want to say that I did not buy this mp3 because of its name or that it is in. I buy things of their quality, never buy things because they are in, I make my own style.
stormybaka
knowme640 wrote:
In today's music industry, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player. They cost around $200. But the only reason people would shell out that much cash for them is because of the name. People want to join the crowd. They care about having what is "in."

And if you don't believe me, just look at the iPod Shuffle. You can't even choose your song with it. And it doesn't even store as many songs as a generic MP3 player you can get with $40.

So my point is, if you don't have the funds to buy an iPod, you can settle for any other MP3 player. There's probably no difference between them except the name.


I just went with "Creative" I don't care about the "status quo" and ipood is the buggiest piece of shite. They state MAC and PC. But it's success rate with PC is very poor! It's label without the reliabiility and costs more than the most reliable brand which IMHO is "creative" anyway!
Apolytes
if I had to choose based on brand alone (which i wouldnt) i would go with either sandisk or samsung. Both of those players actually manufacture the flash memory used in the player. When you buy a creative player, u are buying a creative body, board, and firmware, with samsung flash memory.
Arnie
Except I like the Creative body and firmware, so there Smile The only downside is they won't easily connect, instead you need a special application to transfer music.
Apolytes
good point, if you like the body and firmware go for it. you will pay a little extra than if you were to go with a brand that produces its own flash but whats the point of buying an mp3 player if you dont really like the way it looks or the interface?
reddishblue
1. Is this really science Confused
2. Ill stick with my creative zen nano any day Laughing
elincinerador
i totaly see your point. they are overrated. yes, a bigger screen, video, images.. but the main purpose is music!! they're not very comfortable for seeing images or videos, they're small... so, i agree with your opinion that a non-ipod mp3 is much more worth than a simple ipod. i don't find reasonable to pay that much for an ipod, and $69 for an ipod shuffle is VERY expensible... i don't have neither an ipod nor an mp3 of other brand... but that's what i think
Subsonic Sound
Quote:
The iPod video is very good though, I don't know of any others that can do that and have 30 gigs, prove me wrong.


The iRiver H340 was 40 gigs, and supported video, radio, text reader, picture viewer, line-level recording and USB-hosting. They were also more reliable, longer lived, with greater battery life.

The real kicker? It was discontinued as 'obselete' before the iPod Video was ever released.

If you do your research, you can always get a better deal, and not just with mp3 players. iPod is brand name that people go for instinctively, and they make a fortune because of it. That doesn't mean they're the best. Just the most popular.
psycosquirrel
Ipods have been overrated since they came out. I got an mp3 player for $10 with 40Gb of space from a friend before the Ipod Video came out, and I must say it totally whips the Ipod. It was known as "the brick" though, because it was about twice the size of an ipod. Now, I use an 8Gb mp3 player my brother bought new from Microcenter for $80. The Ipod equivalent would have been well over $100...

It is the same way with Macs. I love Macs, but they are too expensive. You get much more power and performance from a cheaper PC...
Da Rossa
Ipod Nano is good, but Zune will overrun it. Just compare the descriptions and price.
snowboardalliance
I used to agree,which is why I have a Zen Sleek. But after comparing the sound quality, I would definately get an an iPod next. Of course models like the shuffle are retarded, any flash mp3 player is probably better. But the harddrive ones are nice.
Da Rossa
Wait for the Zune!! He will kick'em all. Compare and verify it yourselves!
eznet
Its kind of funny, many of the most negative and bashing comments come from people who, from their own admittance or insinuation, have never actually used an IPod. I think this is so funny because I used to be that person.

I changed my mind the first time that I played with one (helping a friend get loaded up). I had played with several less expensive models before that point in time (actually owning 3 different flash and SM based ones).

I fell in love almost immediately. Although I was not a fan of being forced to use ITunes initially, though I later learned of alternatives such as YamiPod.

The main selling factor of mine was the intuitive function. There was something wickedly divine about the click wheel in 3G and later versions. Not to mention the easy menu system (which is something that many players get wrong – which is disastrous when the player has a large capacity – i.e. think of clicking through 100 album (or even more song) titles on a 3 line LCD).

There is also a little fun to be had with the IPod in the way of modding (FRIHOST DISCUSSION).

I think that the IPod will really rock the MIC when they go flash. Solid state memory is where it is at. Better battery life, no movable parts=longer life of HW, faster syncing/updating… the list goes on. I really want to get my hands on a video (should be around Christmas) but will stick with my 20gb 4G till then.
Da Rossa
I never had or used an iPod, but I can read, if I read, then I can make my own opinion. This is about the listed features of each of the players, ipod and zune. Considering the things each one has, Zune is the best so far and this is undeniable. And please, don't ask me to point each of the good chraracteristics of Zune, Google is there for you. So, don't judge me(us) for talking some things about ipod arguing that we never actually touched one.
Jaan
iPod is just a bit overrated. However, it has the most "hacks". It has the best functionality of any mp3 player so far. That's what most people are after - ease of use Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil .
Apple dominates, once more Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Arrow Question Exclamation Idea Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Da Rossa
Jaan wrote:
iPod is just a bit overrated. However, it has the most "hacks". It has the best functionality of any mp3 player so far. That's what most people are after - ease of use Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil .
Apple dominates, once more Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Arrow Question Exclamation Idea Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

So far, well said. I'm not in love with Microsoft, but the Zune they're presenting seems to be far more attractive.
Xeniczone
Just another person complaining because Apple is the main choice for mp3 player just as Windows is the main choice for a computer

200 bucks gets you a 2gig iPod nano. Most of those 40 dollar mp3 players give you only 128-256mbs to work with. Plenty of space for a good 50-100 songs, but still lack the feature of putting photos or a color screen.
Xcelerate
I think that people like iPod because they know it has good service and good support. Some of the lesser known brand names haven't gained so much popularity, so people aren't as aware. Also iPod was sort of the first, so people are used to it.
eznet
Da Rossa wrote:
I never had or used an iPod, but I can read, if I read, then I can make my own opinion. This is about the listed features of each of the players, ipod and zune. Considering the things each one has, Zune is the best so far and this is undeniable. And please, don't ask me to point each of the good chraracteristics of Zune, Google is there for you. So, don't judge me(us) for talking some things about ipod arguing that we never actually touched one.


Are you a Zune(M$) sales person? You say "don't judge me(us)" as if your posting reflects the nature of all these posting. You posting is different in nature from many(MOST) the posts on here (which have had hands on with few to no MP3 players) and is UNDENIABLY the only one thus far about "Zune".

Sorry, just seems a little overly sensitive (and paranoid to boot). You are correct in your assertion that you can have an opinion; though this ability is not contingent on an ability to read - that is unless you are the flag-boy cheerleader for an as-of-yet unreleased MP3 player, in which case, reading and others opinions are all you have basis on...great determining factor for your opinion, other's opinions...

Now I am not saying that the Zune will not be a great MP3 player; but unless you are an engadget (or other reputable HW reviewer) you have no real, independent claim for this opinion. Also, hyping other mp3 players really had nothing to do with a discussion about IPods being over hyped unless you are of course paralleling an example of another over hyped (potentially overrated) mp3 playing; in which case, good job!

Oh yea, nice to meet you too... I have never met someone from the future, which you must be seeing that your claim is that it is the best one to date! Obviously time-travel has been perfected by novemeber.... SWEET!
clownFart
ok after reading all of this, I just need to clear things up. first thing, do your research before saying something. One person said that already but didn't even do it them selves Rolling Eyes . Second I own an 4Gb iPod nano and it owns all else. heres why:

its so small and slim, if your a girl that wears tight jeans it will fit!


It has very good sound quality compared to cheap mp3s, although not as good as the shuffle.

use flash, so its very reliable.

its very strong, theres a video on the web were they kick it around and it still plays music.

theres solitaire, breakthrough, a text viewer, clock, calendar, and things like that built in the firmware.

itunes.

theres lots of other thing i didn't mention because they dont matter, like a color screen and stuff, but what does matter is...

ipod Linux.

google that to see what it does, and you'll want one.

yeah so lest see your dumb little(big) creative beat that.
Da Rossa
eznet wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
I never had or used an iPod, but I can read, if I read, then I can make my own opinion. This is about the listed features of each of the players, ipod and zune. Considering the things each one has, Zune is the best so far and this is undeniable. And please, don't ask me to point each of the good chraracteristics of Zune, Google is there for you. So, don't judge me(us) for talking some things about ipod arguing that we never actually touched one.


Are you a Zune(M$) sales person? You say "don't judge me(us)" as if your posting reflects the nature of all these posting. You posting is different in nature from many(MOST) the posts on here (which have had hands on with few to no MP3 players) and is UNDENIABLY the only one thus far about "Zune".

Sorry, just seems a little overly sensitive (and paranoid to boot). You are correct in your assertion that you can have an opinion; though this ability is not contingent on an ability to read - that is unless you are the flag-boy cheerleader for an as-of-yet unreleased MP3 player, in which case, reading and others opinions are all you have basis on...great determining factor for your opinion, other's opinions...

Now I am not saying that the Zune will not be a great MP3 player; but unless you are an engadget (or other reputable HW reviewer) you have no real, independent claim for this opinion. Also, hyping other mp3 players really had nothing to do with a discussion about IPods being over hyped unless you are of course paralleling an example of another over hyped (potentially overrated) mp3 playing; in which case, good job!

Oh yea, nice to meet you too... I have never met someone from the future, which you must be seeing that your claim is that it is the best one to date! Obviously time-travel has been perfected by novemeber.... SWEET!


You're funny. Complicated a very simple discussion: the taste. And first of all, I'm not a M$ products salesman, the "me(us)" refers to people, me and some others, not necessarily from this forum, that though that Zune will kick ass once it's released, solely because of the features listed so far. That's all. I'm sorry if my words seem different from the people here, I'm from a different country of most of here too. And I respect you suspicion. But a piece of advice: M$ advertisers certainly don't advertise their products in such a forum. They wouldn't hire people to spread the word in this mean of communication, they can reach something with a 'bigger radius'.
And no, IMHO I don't need to be a professional reviewer to have my opinion. You have yours, and it may have been constructed with experience and/or reading. Mine, unfortunately, was built up only based on reading.
Xeniczone
I would have to agree with the posts above about it having good support. Lets see.

Apple Care
iTunes(Legal way to get your music/movies)
Free Engraving (I put my name and If found call ###-#### on mine)
Many types to choose from, shuffle, nano, full sized, u2.


Lets face it you don't get all that when you buy a mp3 player from dell even if it has the same amount of storage.

Quote:
use flash, so its very reliable.


Only the nano and the shuffle use flash the 30-60 gig use very small harddrives
eznet
Yea, nanos are pretty neat (and freaking small) flash based players. I love the speed of flash memory as well as the durability. But as you pointed out, the size is typically very small (as a result of solid state memory being so expensive). Hopefully as the price of flash mem drops we will see more use in large capacity mp3.players.

On a side note, Samsung has recently released their 32GB flash laptop drive, which is relatively small in comparison to other magnetic platter based drives. Unfortunately the memory used in the drive cost $16 per GB as where disk memory runs about 70Cents per GB. Looking at that aspect, it seems as if we will be using disks for a bit longer.
Xeniczone
Hmm... Well... Flash is more reliable and smaller then magnetic hard drives. Why? Magnetic data is always at danger with maginets arounds. Data can be corrupted even deleted. It is also at risk at a quick movement of a magnetic hard drive will scratch the disk.
clownFart
well i just found a player that beats my 4gb G1 nano :'(


a G2 nono! with up to 8gb!

Kaneda
Now that we're past the Zune "launch", I'd like to hear the definition of "undeniably best so far". In my view, Zune is too little too zun... er... late... The new features, when compared to an iPod 5G:

- Slightly bigger screen, same old QVGA resolution. And no, it's not widescreen. If I want a video device, I'll look elsewhere. Maybe Archos. Or wait for the 6G iPod. But alas, I don't need a video device at the moment.

- "Cool" retro design. Looks like a Creative device from the late 90s with a larger screen. Or an iPod design that got scrapped. Wink

- WiFi drains battery in order to supply a feature that's pretty useless (sharing for 3 plays in 3 days).

- FM radio. Wow. FM is dying here in Europe in favour of DAB. The moment they put in DAB, it'll be interesting. Not like there aren't players outthere who did FM radio years ago (some of them even dropped that idea recently, for reasons given).

- Format support. What the iPod 5G does + WMA (obviously).

- 30GB harddisk - like iPod 5G - except the iPod also has the 60/80GB option.

- Same battery life as iPod 5G - lower than 5.5G (they finally admitted it).

And in spite of these undwhelming features, Zune is larger, thicker, and heavier than the iPod 5G.

So, where are those good characteristics, those listed features, now that it's official?

What isn't official yet, is the price. And why is that? Probably because Steve Jobs announced the $50 price drop on iPod 5.5G a few days before the MS launch. MS thought they'd just had to put the price at the same level as iPod in order to compete, and according to rumours a month ago, they did - $299 - until September 12. Now it's a well guarded secret what Zune is going to cost Very Happy Because if it isn't $249 or below, it'll be dead before (actual) launch.
clownFart
Kaneda wrote:
Now that we're past the Zune "launch", I'd like to hear the definition of "undeniably best so far". In my view, Zune is too little too zun... er... late... The new features, when compared to an iPod 5G:

- Slightly bigger screen, same old QVGA resolution. And no, it's not widescreen. If I want a video device, I'll look elsewhere. Maybe Archos. Or wait for the 6G iPod. But alas, I don't need a video device at the moment.

- "Cool" retro design. Looks like a Creative device from the late 90s with a larger screen. Or an iPod design that got scrapped. Wink

- WiFi drains battery in order to supply a feature that's pretty useless (sharing for 3 plays in 3 days).

- FM radio. Wow. FM is dying here in Europe in favour of DAB. The moment they put in DAB, it'll be interesting. Not like there aren't players outthere who did FM radio years ago (some of them even dropped that idea recently, for reasons given).

- Format support. What the iPod 5G does + WMA (obviously).

- 30GB harddisk - like iPod 5G - except the iPod also has the 60/80GB option.

- Same battery life as iPod 5G - lower than 5.5G (they finally admitted it).

And in spite of these undwhelming features, Zune is larger, thicker, and heavier than the iPod 5G.

So, where are those good characteristics, those listed features, now that it's official?

What isn't official yet, is the price. And why is that? Probably because Steve Jobs announced the $50 price drop on iPod 5.5G a few days before the MS launch. MS thought they'd just had to put the price at the same level as iPod in order to compete, and according to rumours a month ago, they did - $299 - until September 12. Now it's a well guarded secret what Zune is going to cost Very Happy Because if it isn't $249 or below, it'll be dead before (actual) launch.


Yes, the iPod definitely beats the Zune. I think Microsoft should of went towards portable gaming instead of music. Firstly, the competition in the gaming market would be a Sony PSP(not to hard to beat) and a nintendo DS. In the music player market theres lots of competition but dominated by the iPod and iTunes. For the portable gaming market all they had to do is a 300 ~ 350$ PSP sized handheld device that plays Halo. Considering todays technology and Microsofts money, they can pull it off.
sbel
if ipods cant play generic mp3, then where do you get all these? if there is a place to get all this stuff legally, is the spread of songs good?
Chrisjs
iPods are simply overrated, and they tend to break easily, IMHO. I spent a while looking for a true mp3 player, and finally agreed on a SanDisk sansa e250. Simply put, it's a 2 Gig mp3 player, almost the exact same dimensions as the iPod (1.73 x 3.5 x 0.49 inches for sansa; 1.6 x 3.5 x 0.27 inches for iPod) plays music (I'd hope Razz), videos, and can view photos. Got a 1.8 TFT color screen, user replaceable 20 hour battery, FM Tuner with FM recording, integrated voice recorder with built-in microphone, and a Liquidmetal backing Razz.

For only $121, it's not bad.
Xeniczone
The only difference between that is the Ipod has excellent Service and Support. Has high quality and doesn't break easy. Never had a problem with them. I did have a friend who jumped and landed on it and cracked the screen but apple repaired it under the warrenty even though it was his fault and their is always apple care you can get for it.

O the sandisk is great that is why some of the users have really bad rateings on it.

Quote:
The screen breaks easily, tech support at Sandisk Absolutely SUCKS, when the screen cracks because it is very flumsy and poorly made [it will break with very little pressure] they will say it is not covered under waranty and you #$%^ out of luck. I am a computer consultant and I have NEVER seen such poor service in my life . DO NOT BUY SANDISK PRODUCTS!!! When they break the company will not stand behind and will make you jump thru hoops to get support.


Well most small products with lcd screens have a tendency to be fragel.

Quote:
The worst thing is it locks up frequently. When it does the screen stays frozen on, and the player gets warm. To unfreeze it you have let the battery wear down or remove the battery. This is not cool at all. Other cons include: Cannot browse the file tree, must use ID tage. Does not play DIVX video, only an apple format. The only protective case it comes with is a bag, which does not allow you to use the wheel or screen. It allows you to set the time, yet time is not visible while playing a song. When you select to see what song is next, it scrolls for only a few seconds, not enough time to see the whole file name.


Quote:
Volume is always set to 50% at startup, tracks appear more than once in explorer/rhapsody. Sometimes it takes a long time to start a track


Quote:
Freezes up occasionaly


Well I guess you get my point most of the users agree that it locks up frequently.

Way to go suggesting such a "great" Mp3 player Wink
Dwyer17
It's very true. I strongly think that IPods are very orverrated. I have an iriver H10 6GB player, and I like it much more than the Ipod mini which seems to be its rival. I must say thought, the new Ipod Nano is pretty sweet. And the new shuffle? What?? How am I ever going to find that thing! I can barely keep track of my keys! Madness!!!
Chrisjs
Xeniczone wrote:

Way to go suggesting such a "great" Mp3 player Wink


I can't say for sure how good the tech support is, as I haven't had a need to use it yet. Besides, I'm only saying it's great based on how it's been so far.

Quote:

The worst thing is it locks up frequently. When it does the screen stays frozen on, and the player gets warm. To unfreeze it you have let the battery wear down or remove the battery. This is not cool at all.


As mine hasn't locked up yet, I can't verify any of that.
Quote:

Other cons include: Cannot browse the file tree, must use ID tage.


Yes, the ID3 part is true, but it hasn't caused me any trouble yet, as songs from Rhapsody/Wal-mart Music/Yahoo/etc. generally use ID3...

Quote:

Does not play DIVX video, only an apple format.


True, but I believe you still have to use their converter, which converts just about all the other file types.

Quote:

The only protective case it comes with is a bag, which does not allow you to use the wheel or screen.


Again, that is true, although SanDisk does have other protective cases for it, which allow you to use all the buttons, scroll wheel, and screen.

Quote:

It allows you to set the time, yet time is not visible while playing a song. When you select to see what song is next, it scrolls for only a few seconds, not enough time to see the whole file name.

Yes, both are true, just about like every other 'con' you mentioned. However, I believe it is still new, so why couldn't they just include those two features in a new firmware update?
sunjay
Perhaps why Ipods are so successful is because of their Stylish Designs and Advertising Campaigns. If other companies could come up with something better looking than Ipod, and have a full on Advertising Campaign, then Apple may have competition.

See, in Australia, Apple have the Ads on bus stops, occasionally on TV and on billbords. When my friends think of mp3 players, they immidiately think Ipod. eg "Hey, Jacks got an Ipod." and its really a Iriver or something.

If i know nothing about Mp3 players and so on, I would choose Ipod because of its appearence.
Xeniczone
Quote:
True, but I believe you still have to use their converter, which converts just about all the other file types.


Yes but DivX is very compacted so you get a lot of space for you quality that is the downfall of it not the fact it can't play it. It's the fact that it doesn't support that compressed format of video. Plus with a 20-30 dollar difference I still like the Ipod. Service is everything when it comes to electronics.

I guess other scan disks products aren't as bad because they are cheaper models that don't really need the product support because all they do is play music nothing special but when it comes to a universal device you really need support for it.[/quote]
Chrisjs
Ok, but now it seems clear that you are going to hate almost all the other MP3 players except for the one you have. With the possible exception of people who actually hate their MP3 player, it you take a look at the posts people who have iPods are going to say everything good about them, and everything negative about the SanDisk sansa (for example), yet people with the SanDisk sansa are going to say negative things about iPods and positive things about their sansa. Wouldn't that sort of make sense? Rolling Eyes
Xeniczone
We are always going to hate the "unknown" to ourselfs. I hear iPods and Apple Computers where good so I have Apple and iPod computer and mp3. I have no problem with them I have used windows in the past so I know I hate that. As far as I know Scandik doesn't look so hot and like I said before support is everything.

Just recently I had a problem with my Sony Playstation 2 Network adapter and I had gotten a faulty one from wal-mart. I called sony (not knowing it was broken just knowing it was not connecting) I told them about it. They said take it back to wal-mart if they didn't deal with it call us back and we will deal with it. That is like a large company going out of it's way to please me the customer into their products and I'm happy with that.

It was understandible english. No offence to anybody that I'm about to talk of, but Most companies hire Asian People to do their caller support and you can't even understand them one of these companies is Microsoft. All of them everytime I call I can't freaken understand them. Call me thick headed but it's true. Intel does the same thing.
eznet
First, I love my iPod as I have previously mentioned. Next, there is something called person preference; something that is one of the largest considerations when rating an MP3 player (or any other item for that matter). There are some good players out there other than iPods. iPods are also excellent MP3 players; something that their immense popularity and ridiculous market share percentage. More importantly confirming their status of being quality is the fact that there are many more people in here are talking about loving their iPods in here opposed to their hating their iPod; In short, customer satisfaction. I have owned multiple players (previous post) and stand by my personal opinion from real life experience that my 20G color iPod trumps all I have personally owned and/or played with for extended enough time to form legit opinion based on said interaction with said other player.

Now, does this go to say that Apple doesn't hype their products? Am I trying to convince any non-retarded person with the capacity to view the world for themselves that Apple doesn't successfully utilize advertising and fad market popularity? Heck no! Then I would be retarded. Apple does, in fact, use advertising to generate fad interest and has, as a result, created an iconic trend based around said generated fad interest. That’s capitalism fer ya! If you own a single iconic name band item, or ever have, and liked it on any level (possibly be cause it was genuinely a good product) then you too have purchased what some considered to be an over-hyped piece of crap; no matter how much you legitimately liked it from your personal experience with it.

iPods are great! Greatest? To me, thus far, I would have to say yes. Greatest of all time, no competition, no holds bar? Well, no one can make or deny that claim in any real absolute capacity. Why? Because, it is 99% personal preference when it comes to these things.
bongoman
I have had an ipod for about 2 years now, and I would say my biggest frustration with ipods is the fact that apple refuses to write firmware updates for anything it considers "legacy" which is ridiculous because if you can make updates for the ipod photo which was released a mere 6 months after the 4th generation ipod was made.

On top of all that Apple doesn't always play nice with competing software that tries to access the ipod library (which if you don't know is why Apple releases a new update of itunes nearly few months).

Having said that despite some of the problems the occasional annoyances I have experiened with my ipod such as weird battery behavior (despite regularly cycling it) or the hold button sticking I am still happy I purchased it. Though I have to admit the first week I had it I was thinking to myself why in the world did I pay 400$ for this thing. I guess my point is to me Apple proved with the ipod that people WILL pay for 400$ for a music device.
eznet
Yea, I too have had a quirk or two; but what device doesn't? It is funny how we can go from feeling "never in a million years would I pay that" to paying it Laughing I, personally, eagerly await my Christmas gift from my wife of my new 80GB iPod Video! Smile
Xeniczone
yeah, my parents gave me a choice for christmas class ring or remastered ipod nano (4gig) I can't wait to get one of those small sleek green machines. I've been pondering if to put linux on it or not so I can use it as a video player as well. I might do it later down the road so I can first enjoy it before messing with it.
seeapoko
I find it funny, my entire family has all the iPods, jsut not the newest ones.
(we will be getting those soon enough)
so its safe to say that it is my personal choice that they are "the best" and anyone who doesnt like them is just wanting to "be different". (which is cool too; i guess)
Xeniczone
technically some of the older iPods are better then the newer ones, but they are cheaper because they are used.

Ipod Nano 2-8gigs. This is one of the least ipods yet the First generation ipod is 10gigs. it holds more music and compare to the 8gig nano its only around 50-100 dollar compared to 250.

Ipod Shuffle- No screen low memory this thing sucks yet for the same price the first gen ipod is still better. The only difference between the two is the size.

So if you want small go with the new generation. If you want space go with the old generation.
carlospro7
I agree iPod is overrated in my opinion. There many players out that can be just as good, and can have about the same capacity as the ipods. One think I dislike about iPods is that you are limited to iTunes, and I really dislike iTunes in the fist place. Anyway, I decided to never buy 'i' devices or software, because they only work w/i their i 'network.
MYP415
I also think the ipod is overrated. It is overpriced compared to almost all of its competitors but it keeps doing well because it is the hype. Although I still love ipods I think bot creative's mp3 players and the iRiver (both I have personally used) are better values. Creative even has a nice video mp3 called the Zen Vision (which I haven't personalyl used but read excellent reviews for)
Xeniczone
Quote:
I agree iPod is overrated in my opinion. There many players out that can be just as good, and can have about the same capacity as the ipods. One think I dislike about iPods is that you are limited to iTunes, and I really dislike iTunes in the fist place. Anyway, I decided to never buy 'i' devices or software, because they only work w/i their i 'network.


BULLSHIT!!! Apple supports Macintosh and Windows Operating System. Their are plenty of other software that can communicate with the iPod.

Unlike Microsoft that only supports their damn Operating System you think they are better!!!
gh0stface
I myself never even looked at the iPod when I was in the market for MP3 players. I didn't like the idea having to install iTunes in order to mainly to transfer music from the computer to the iPod(this was before I found out there was alternatives). They're sleek looking however I didn't really think much of them.

I'm glad that I bought an Archos Gmini402cc(the cc stands for camcorder). Not only can it record short movie clips, pictures, have TV out, and play videos, some guy was able to hack the firmware and allow me to play Doom along with the ability to play NES and Sega Master System roms.

THAT is why I chose my MP3 player compared to others. It's also the same size as a regular iPod. Transferring MP3 files is easy too. You just connect the USB cord and copy and paste your music folder to your MP3 player.
brycearonium
ok well remember not everyone is a technology genusis like you and i. so if they want something simple, easy to use, and WORKS it's apple ipod all the way. it doesn't get any eaiser than that. i mean hop on i tunes, grab your songs, done! it really is easy, and thats why people like it and are willing to shell out the extra dollars. plus they look cool. apple design is just amazing, with all their products, not just the ipod. the ipdo is a great product, and thats why the anme is so great. the name didn';t come from nowhere you know...
peaceninja
ipod has done a great job on their user design, i think it needs to evolve...that's microsoft's big problem is that they are unable to evolve. i hope apple does not run into the same thing...
johnsonap
New iPod shuffle is well over priced - yet i have asked for one for xmas (same old thing of not wanting to part with my own cash for something, but willing others to do so)

size of a matchbox that you can clicp to your shorts before you go to the gym - marvolous? £55 not so marvolous.
jrs32
I'm actually about to go buy one of the new remastered nanos.. not sure what color to get though!!!
bcarasco
I agree Ipods are extremely over rated, but I can also see why someone would want to own one. You look at all of the MP3 players out there and there are better cost solutions to what you want, but Ipod is the name, and Ipod is what is popular, you wont see teenage kids, flashing around something other than ipods, until you get something more cool than an Ipod, i think microsoft is working on this with their new wifi mp3 player, all they have to do is get it to catch on first.
TheGeek
I used to be on the same boat about the IPOD back when the Gen2 and Gen3 Ipods were around. I felt that there were no advantages to them what so ever, Not to mention that the battery replacement policy back then SUCKED with apple. So I decided to get a 20GB Creative Zen Touch. Biggest mistake of my life. That piece of crap fell apart in less than 6 months. The screen got all scratched up, the two halves of the shell started seperating and the touch wheel stopped working first then the buttons and then it just flat out quit working. That was the biggest waste of $250 I have ever spent. So next I am getting the IPOD Video Gen4 30GB. I have used several of these and know many more poeple who have them and to tell you the truth I have heard NO complaints from them what so ever. There are a TON more accessories for the Ipod when compared to other MP3 players simply because they ARE sold so much. Sometimes you have to weigh the advantages with the disadvantages and to me. Having to pay $250 for a 30GB IPOD that plays movies and music and holds over 50% of my ENTIRE music collection is well worth the price. Not to mention that it will virtually never break because there are so many different products out there that protect your IPOD such as those hard plastic covers that snap on over the Ipod and the rubber banana skins that they make for them. Ipods have come a long way since the first generation was released so many years ago and today there prices have dropped to be competitive if not better than many other MP3 player manufacturers prices.
HoboPelican
Just started looking through this topic because my 30gb iPod is a piece of crap. I laughed my butt off at the guy whining about the sandisk locking up and how that never happens with iPods.. That is exactly the issue I've been having with my iPod for over a year. Couldn't even reboot the little piece of trash, but had to let it run down. I sent it in twice for repair and each time it came back it only worked for a week before it started locking up again. Battery life sucked and the screen seemed to scratch if you just looked at it. (I kept it in a arm band almost constantly and still it was horribly scratched.

Anyway, now I just want to get a flash-based player. Maybe those are less prone to screwing up. Right now I'm waiting to see what prices do after Christmas and have my eye on the Sansa 280 and the Zen Microphoto. Both 8 gig units with some nice features for under 200 bucks. Anybody have any actual experience with these?
TheGeek
I have had experience with the Zen Micro (non-photo) and had it had more storage space I would still have it. But the limited storage capacity forced me to sell it. It was one of the best MP3 players I have ever owned hands down. Creative usually makes really good stuff from my experience it was just that the first generation Touch had some bugs that needed to be worked out and were worked out in later models. I unfortunately got one of the earlier ones and was subsequently screwed over because of it. Look into Archos as well if you do not want to go with Apple again, they make really good players, though they tend to be a little bit pricey from what I have seen around.
Flakky
I own an iPod (Nano, 2gB, 200 EUR) because of two, simple reasons:
1- I needed an MP3 player.
2- It was a birthday present from my parents.

I have to say that the iPod is expensive but you just trust it so much that it works and that is a good point. Why buying a 2gB MP3 player for 100 from some random brand if you've never heard of it or don't even know whether they have online support if something happens?

Due all the help you can get with iPods, they never realized that iTunes is the worst program to put music on your iPod (and it is the only program as well).
The function to add a whole directory in your playlist gives you false hope and after that you still need to add about half of all the songs yourself manually by drag-and-dropping.

My friend has a Creative and I have to say that I am jealous for the simplicity but he can't say he has an iPod.

In other words: They are overated Evil or Very Mad

In my case I can say: it is better then an average birthday present.
aaliyah450
I agree! I agree with everyone. People like the ipods because it has it own name, well for example the Zune has it's own name its probally cheaper than the ipod. The sansa mp3. player can hold alot of memory 2hours of video 500 songs (im really not sure probally alot more).Okay people say what ever mp3. player goes with their personality or style should work best for them, But it doesnt mean that the ipod is the only thing out there,there is plenty other's more. I can most definitley say if the ipod was named apple I bet you no one would've bought it, anyway there is alot more other mp3. companies can offer and i can say the ipod does not fit with me im more of an outsider and just because everyone has the ipod doesnt mean you have to get it what fits you should work.

Anyway I hate The IPOD!!!
mattyj
my wife has an iPod and i HATE it

that stupid software that comes with them is the worst program i've ever used (iTunes or something?)

i much prefer my cheapo brand mp3 player than i can just drag and drop the files i want onto it!
jwellsy
What's an ipod?
Flakky
A new thing I came across, it seems that I have the older model for an iPod Nano and the new line of iPod accessory (earplugs) do NOT fit if they are made for the iPod Nano.
fadirocks
my Samsung can support 4GB of microSD and well i have 1 mp3 on and don't listen to music so umm what to do with ipod again???

also my samsung can get radio and tv from sprint! the only free TV is from NFL but i have many free radio stations YAY

i think the iphone is the ultimate replacement for almost all ipods (except for nano) but then this is what i think it doesn't mean it's gona happen
eznet
Yea, it is crazy that now many phones support SD memory - effectively making them MP3 players as well.

I have a 3GB card in my Razr and use it for themes, games and ringtones - I think there are some MP3s on there, but I never listen to them... I guess thats what I have the iPod for. Also, I listen to a lot of music, so the 2gb wouldn't cut it - I need the full 80GB of my iPod Video for that Smile Works great since I not only have nearly my whole collection on there, but I also can load up videos for my trips...

On a related note, I recently installed RockBox on my iPod for fun... It was an easy install and added some nice functionality to my iPod. Most notably to me is the fact that I can now play artists and albums on random - something that the iPod stupidly will not do (as far as I know, you can only shuffle the ipod, not specific albums and artists)... Another pro is the firmware adding the support to be able to just drop the MP3s on the device, like a jumpdrive, and play the MP3s that way - avoiding iTunes all together... The main con I have found with RockBox thus far is its boot time - which is about twice as long as the OEM Apple firmware...
Flakky
fadirocks wrote:
my Samsung can support 4GB of microSD and well i have 1 mp3 on and don't listen to music so umm what to do with ipod again???

also my samsung can get radio and tv from sprint! the only free TV is from NFL but i have many free radio stations YAY

i think the iphone is the ultimate replacement for almost all ipods (except for nano) but then this is what i think it doesn't mean it's gona happen


You are lucky that your Samsung phone supports 4gb. My Samsung only supports 1gb and will not work with more. What model do you have?
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.