FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Seattle Rave Murders

essentialmedia
It is truly tragic that six people lost their lives in the Seattle Rave Murders on Saturday (there were seven dead but the seventh was the gunman, so not so tragic).

However, the rave culture preaches an idiom of equality and all this other crap that it blatantly ignores in the name of "Kandy Kids", being promiscous, drugs and stupidity.

Having worked at a venue that was routinely rented out for these idiots, I find it sick when they say it isn't about drugs when it clearly is. There are so many drugs flying around the parties that is sickens me.

I have seen the teen age girls lying on the floor during an overdose, hell two kids died of overdose during ONE rave and when then threw the memorial rave another died of overdose in the bathroom, needless to say they didn't do a memorial rave for her.

Sucks that people had to die and innocent people were hurt, but they also put themselves in that environment where sooner or later one of their tweaker friends was going to snap.

Where are these peoples parents? 13 and 14 year old kids? High as a kite?

WTF?
Epsilon
Yeah. Really sick. Crying or Very sad
DoctorBeaver
EssentialMedia - I totally agree with everything you've said.

I've worked in the field of drug & alcohol addiction, and my PhD thesis was on substance abuse in 12-20-year-olds. Most, although not all, of the kids I worked with just didn't appreciate the dangers when they started taking drugs. Everyone else was doing it so they didn't think there could be anything wrong with it.

Obviously, there are other factors involved. For instance, many forms of fairly common illicit drugs are a lot stronger these days. Super-skunk & meth-amphetamine are classic examples. You can't take the same levels of those that you could of their equivalents that were around a few years ago.

AS for the comment that 1 of the dead was the gunman so not so tragic, I have to disagree. Any death is tragic.
Vrythramax
I can't say that I am very well versed on what teens are doing these days for drugs, but I do know that it's like DoctorBeaver said...the drugs today are much more powerful and (it seems) many more kids are dying as a result. I know there is no easy answer for the drug problem, I just wish the government could/would come up with some kind of program that could get some of these kids away from this crap. Yeah, I know....it's not the governments fault, but they could at least be trying to prevent some of these deaths somehow, short of throwing all the drug users themselves in prison...which is what they seem to only want to do now.
essentialmedia
I think what had just bothered me the most was seeing the same kids I had seen selling, using, or even OD'ing on drugs in the club on the television trying to say that it has nothing to do with drugs and that their "scene" is about all these great things.

If you really look at it they sound like the "hippies" of the 60's who once again were heavily influenced by the drugs that they were taking and there constant euphoric feeling.

Of course you are about "peace, love and unity" when you are high every day spinning on Exctasy!! What they fail to see is that it IS a drug and it IS highly addictive and it also rots the brain away to the point where you can lose control, hallucinate, have a psychotic snap and just plain LOSE it.

It is incredibly sad that these people died, I don't think they "deserved" it but I also don't think we should sit around and feel bad for their poor choices and the poor parenting that were subjected too.

Drug addicts, like alcoholics, love to tell you everything is fine and what they are doing is harmless, RIGHT up until their lives fall apart and it always does.
Gieter
Now that's a stupid death, dying when you're 14 because of a drug overdose... I'm only 17, but those parents probably don't have enough time for their children, or trust them too much... Luckily we don't have the rave phenomenom here in Belgium.
DoctorBeaver
essentialmedia wrote:

It is incredibly sad that these people died, I don't think they "deserved" it but I also don't think we should sit around and feel bad for their poor choices and the poor parenting that were subjected too.

Again I find myself disagreeing with you. If they've been subjected to bad parenting then you SHOULD feel bad for them as they can't be held responsible for their parents.
Soulfire
Yes, well, this just goes to show. Not much, if anything, good comes from raves.
rightclickscott
The idea of a rave is to let loose and have fun. When people started bringing drugs into the mix, it either made the rave even more fun, or ruined it for the rest of us. There are still people who go to raves just to have fun, and not get f*cked up on ecstacy, however, others have adapted. In my eyes, people who OD are the stupid ones, the ones that Darwin said would die. I will admit this, I have been considered a stoner, but I have self control, even when high. People need to learn how to do this right, if they don't, then there is no reason for them to get high. When it comes to parents, they should pay more attention to their children. Soulfire, I understand that you're an orthadox Christian or something like that, whatever. From the little church that I have been to, I understand that one of the 10 commandments is to honor thy father and mother, yet all I ever see is parents not doing the same for their kids. Children are impressionable like that, they will take alot from what they learn from parents. So, a child will not "honor" their parents in the same way that they have not "honored" them, thus causing them to be mean spirited, and do stuff like OD at raves. Some would say that the blame rests with the parents, however, I wouldn't. I don't believe in the concept of blaming and scapegoated. In my mind, if something happens, then everyone it to blame, even whatever God there may be. I think I just had a revelation. I need to go call my Mumsie now and tell her that I love her, then probably go out after and do some... stuff...
Jack_Hammer
I used to get drunk and high when I was thirteen, though I only have ever smoked pot, anything else is not right. You do know that more people die everyday due to guns in america? I have made a previous topic stating that 10 kids die everyday due to guns, I mean children, not adults not teenages children.
Vrythramax
Jack_Hammer wrote:
I used to get drunk and high when I was thirteen, though I only have ever smoked pot, anything else is not right. You do know that more people die everyday due to guns in america? I have made a previous topic stating that 10 kids die everyday due to guns, I mean children, not adults not teenages children.

I also used to get fupped duck in the early 70's (born around 1960), but my drug/alcohol usage had nothing to do with either my parents upbringing of me nor any use/penchant for guns, I just wanted to see what all the turmoil was about, and quite simply...I wanted to fit in with my friends at the time. I agree with your stats (haven't checked them out, but they seem accurate) that far too many kids are dying as a result of unlawful guns in the US (and many other countries as well). I don't know if further control is needed or possibly some other kind of intervention is needed by the government, but something must be done. The same should be done for illicite (sp. ??) drugs as well. Simply making drugs illlegal seems to only make teens want to do them even more as a rebelious act.

How can we best help our children to survive?