FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Making a new partition on a drive with a single partition

DJGuardy
Hey everyone,
I'm currently using a 120GB Hard Drive with a single partition on it, Drive C:, and according to system analysis utilites, its using around 50 percent of the drive. Recently, I have decided I want to only have Windows and Program Files on one partition, and documents and saved files on the other partition. However, I don't want to lose ANY DATA AT ALL on the existing hard drive. Does anyone know how to get this done SAFELY?
djclue917
You could use a partition manager/editor. Just search the web for those kinds of utilities. And oh, I think you'll find mostly proprietary software. So... You'll just have to pay for it. Smile
KHO
l use partition magic pro, it works fine, but might l recommend something?

When you save ANYTHING important on the same partition as windows, it is at risk. l have had to re-format my windows partition about 4 times now, and each time l have had a monthly back up of my registry, and thats all l needed because everything else was saved in a different partition.

lf you have yim, l would be more than willing to help walk you through this as well.
mOrpheuS
You can also try using a linux live CD which includes a free advanced partition manager like QTPart.
cheeta
U need a software....

Such as Symantec's Norton PartitionMagic™ 8.0 u can get a trial of Partition Magic 8.0

or u may go for Partition Manager 7.0
KHO
mOrpheuS wrote:
You can also try using a linux live CD which includes a free advanced partition manager like QTPart.
l trust my partition magic pro 9 way more than that Neutral sorry linux, but you have too much power for your own good, one wrong command line and l will screw myself over hard core.
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:
l trust my partition magic pro 9 way more than that Neutral sorry linux, but you have too much power for your own good, one wrong command line and l will screw myself over hard core.

haha ... I don't know much about the others, but QTPart has almost as nice, and a similar graphical interface as Partition magic pro.
There is no need to hassle with command line.
Infact QTPart is just a GUI wrapper for the (dreaded) command line tool "parted".

Although every OS has enough power, it's just that Linux places more trust in user discretion, and requies more keyboard usage. Wink

I've used Partition magic, and I will definitely prefer it over QTPart.
But sometimes proprietary software is just not an option. Confused
KHO
l don't think that every OS has the same power, just look at the poor mac Neutral lt can't do anything (before osX) Neutral. And now that they do have OS X they got their first two viruses!! Neutral

But linux can be scary to anyone, even someone who has been around computers their whole life. l just don't think that it is wise for a first time partitioner to use a linux app, even if it does have a graphical interface that is easy to use, since it is still just a wrapper, all the gui does is call forth command lines, and with that, there are things that are not in the gui that still must be called by command line Neutral.

Although l do have faith in linux being able to perform the action flawlessly, l do not have faith in the average everday user anymore, and this is why l would trust my commercial software over a linux gui Neutral.
KHO
Ok, well l am taking off now, this mesage is for the author of the thread:
lf you need any help getting some good software, l have a few that l may give to you, all you need do is yim me (my yim is: w00pacha) l would post the link here, but l don't want to burn that much bandwidth since l threw it on my frihost. After you yim me l will go ahead and give you a link to the file. Might be about an hour before l get back though, l need to go take a jog now Neutral (gah, l feel old now, that is depressing Neutral)
lieutenant_Allaire
First, you need to use a partition software like partition magic, ...

Some versions may be run within Windows, some others must be booted from a DOS diskette.

Take Care about the version of the software you use. Iit must be as recent as possible: old version of partition software may not interpret and use information on hard drive the way it should be, espacialy if this HD has been formatted with recent software or OS. This could result in possible data loss.

Use these steps:

1. Backup your harddisk data! (allways do backup before doing anything at partition level. you can't 'UNDO' action at this level). There are many ways to perform a backup for a big HD's data. Not doing this step will not block you from performing your partition job but is a very good way to minimize the risk of losting all.

2. Resize your existing partition to a size not less than 'used size', but enough small to have room for your new partition.

3. Create a new partition (partition No 2) into the unpartitionned area (created in step 2). Use all the available free space. Create it with the same partition format that your partition 1: FAT32, or NTFS.

4. Make the partition ACTIVE (unless it will not be visible and reachable from OS)

5. Keep partition 1 your primary partition, unless you won't be able to boot on your OS like before.

6. Exit the software, then reboot.

hope this helps.

[/i]
lukebacon
remember that partition magic has many other advantages over Linux (no offence intended!)

1...it allows you to batch up changes (such as resizing one partition, then creating another, etc...), and then run them all overnight, say, as this will take some time.

2...not much else but it is unfortunately more reputable as it is simply designed to do this and will not allow you to make any other changes to your system (of what nature when you have access to delete system partitions etc as well I don't know...but hey!)

3...it also used to certainly have a mode whereby you could run it from windows without having to reboot, although I would doubt that it would let you make changes like resizing the sys partition from this interface!

No offence to Linux-it's great for loads of other stuff...and you hav 2 pay for partition magic Sad
Bones
There is no way to safely re-size partitions. Partition magic is your best bet, but it can and will trash partitions at times. Backup your data before doing this, as it's really a crap shoot.

Linux boot disks will say that they can resize partitions, but have a really horrible record when it comes to resizing NTFS partitions.
KHO
hey, l have played with my partitions using partition magic pro 7 about 20+ times already, and not a single failed attempt. l stopped backing up after about the 5th, it always goes smooth with nothing unexpected. Neutral So l recomend this, but hey, maybe it is just cause l got the pro version Neutral who knows Neutral
lieutenant_Allaire
Partition magic does not cause unexpected result unless your data structure already contains errors. Usually, it can identify errors ans propores appropriate correction. You are always informed about the result of the process.

I never crash any data using this software. I am computer tech for many years and used it very often.