FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

possible dual boot?

TheFaction
right now i have a 80gb internal and an 160gb external. im running xp on the internal. now ive been trying to like set up a partition on my external to put linux there. however trying to get a partition software that i dont have to pay for has turned out to be quite the hassle. now would it be fine if i just installed linux(ubuntu) on the external drive and like would put files on the same partition?

but thats like a last resort. id really like to set up a partition on my external if i can. so if theres any free software you guys use/know of that;d be a big help
moejoe
You can dual boot on the internal, you jst need to format XP and reduce its partition size then the remainding partition you can use for linux.

Im not 100% sure if you can reduce the size of the partition with out starting fresh...altho i'd like to learn.

Never herd of any program that could run using an external...do your USB drivers even exsist before XP boots?

Well good luck with that.
TheFaction
well my bios allows me to boot from usb devices.

the main reason im trying to partition and install linux on my external is because my parents hate me doing shit like this to the comp because they dont know what im doing even tho i do.
djclue917
You could simply resize your current partition to obtain some unallocated space and make a new partition out of it. The Ubuntu installer's Partition Manager/Editor has a feature that could let you resize your hard disk with ease. It requires very little interaction because it already does the calculations for you. You just have to confirm the resizing to start the process.
Diebels
TheFaction wrote:
right now i have a 80gb internal and an 160gb external. im running xp on the internal. now ive been trying to like set up a partition on my external to put linux there. however trying to get a partition software that i dont have to pay for has turned out to be quite the hassle. now would it be fine if i just installed linux(ubuntu) on the external drive and like would put files on the same partition?

but thats like a last resort. id really like to set up a partition on my external if i can. so if theres any free software you guys use/know of that;d be a big help

I´ve no idea about ubunto but i installed suse 10 on my existing windows system. The suse installer takes care about partition and formating the hd. I didn´t got any problems with my windows setup

i recomend suse
Animal
TheFaction wrote:

I would be very hesitant to put a boot-option operating system on an external drive.

If you install Linux as a dual-boot option, by default it takes over the boot record and (in the case of Ubuntu) Grub then gives you the option to boot Linux / Windows. If you don't have the external drive plugged into the computer, you won't have a master boot record, so your PC won't boot. It will also slow down a standard startup time because it will be limited by the USB2 connection speed. Just be aware of this - you may want to re-enable the Windows boot record and add an option to boot Linux from the external drive.

I'm fairly sure some Linux distros have a partition manager in them that allows you to add a new partition to a drive - you might want to read the documentation for your chosen distro.
exarkun
moejoe wrote:

Im not 100% sure if you can reduce the size of the partition with out starting fresh...altho i'd like to learn.

Well good luck with that.

yes, as far as I know, Partition Magic can do that in a breeze Laughing