FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

pi in the bible

albusa

Does the Bible really say that pi = 3?

It seems to at 1 Kings 7:24 and the repetition at 2 Chronicles 4:3, where it describes a vessel used in the Temple.

However, I think that there is a good explanation: The dimensions are given in WHOLE cubits!

First I will show mathematically how the dimensions can be given as 10 diameter and 30 circumference in whole cubits (to the nearest cubit) and still be considered accurate.

Then I will attempt to justify my claim that the dimensions ARE given in whole cubits; and, in fact, may very well have been given to the nearest five or ten cubits!

MATHEMATICAL DEMONSTRATION:

Using the maximum possible range of values for the diameter to be 10 to the nearest cubit:
9.5 cubits diameter * pi = 29.845+ cubits circumference
10.5 cubits diameter * pi = 32.986+ cubits circumference

Using the maximum possible range of values for the circumference to be 30 to the nearest cubit:
29.5 cubits circumference / pi = 9.390+ cubits diameter
30.5 cubits circumference / pi = 9.708+ cubits diameter

This means that a diameter in the range 9.5 cubits through 9.708+ cubits would result in a circumference of 29.845+ cubits through 30.5 cubits. These numbers are in the range of 10 cubits diameter and 30 cubits circumference to the nearest whole cubit.
AftershockVibe
I don't see why this is suprising. The babylonians and greeks were aware of the geometric properties of circles. That's a few tens of hundreds of years BC.
Gieter
AftershockVibe wrote:
I don't see why this is suprising. The babylonians and greeks were aware of the geometric properties of circles. That's a few tens of hundreds of years BC.

True. But a question for albusa: nice mathematical demonstration, but what are you trying to show us? That the Bible is scientifically a masterpiece, a disaster, or something else? I'm curious, because I don't know the meaning behind your post. Smile
James007
If it is about PI day, that topic's closed.
This one is in the wrong section.
-close-