FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bf2 Causes Video Card To Overheat Dangerously

codederek
Any suggestions on how to fix this? As described in the title, i updated the bios, chipset, just about anything you can think of and still the video card overheats so much that u can see the heat...
psycosquirrel
Need more info. What is card, is it overclocked, does it have the stock cooler, etc.
DecayClan
You simply can't fix it.Your card is probably overheating because of these reasons:
1.The games has demands that the card can't put up with, therefore, it is working at 100% capacity, which overheats it.In this case, the only thing that you can do, is buy a better cooler for the vieo card, and make sure that the temperature generally inside your pc is low.Or buy a new video card.
2.Make sure that your Power Supply, has good quality, and lots of Watts.I have heard many times of cases with overheating video cards, where the problem proved to be a faulty power supplier.In this case, just buy a new supplier(a good one!If it costs less than 75Euros, then it is not).

Hope i helped.You should describe your whole system though...YOu don't even mention which video caed you are talking about...
DJGuardy
Also, if you can, fit a couple more fans inside your system, as its probably not the video card thats the only thing overheating in there, you might have CPU and HDD going nuts as well. If you can't get some fans in there, theres a simple but more dangerous is to simply open up the case and stick an office fan right next to the box. Good luck Smile
Donutey
It doesn't matter if you can see the heat, just that the card runs within spec... most video cards run hot compared to CPUs, my 9600XT gets about 58C when at full throttle (non-OCd), while if you had that temp on a CPU it would be dangerous; it's not for a video card.

However, if you've actually seen heat related problems (artifacts, reboots, lockups) make sure adequate fresh airflow is getting to the card. I've made a point to leave the PCI (or PCIe depending on your config) slot just below the AGP/PCIe slot open to allow for better airflow.
ForceRun
Yea BF2 just has bad compression on it's graphics, so it takes a lot more power to run it. Do everything they said, and just turn down the graphics a bit. I found the lighting setting is the big hog. Also video cards really run hot. My 6800GT got up to 85C without over clocking. It's cut off is 120C or something crazy. I got a better case and got a Silencer (Video cooler to replace the stock). And I keep it under 55C with OCing now. I just have to watch the room temp...
Donutey
ForceRun wrote:
Yea BF2 just has bad compression on it's graphics, so it takes a lot more power to run it. Do everything they said, and just turn down the graphics a bit. I found the lighting setting is the big hog. Also video cards really run hot. My 6800GT got up to 85C without over clocking. It's cut off is 120C or something crazy. I got a better case and got a Silencer (Video cooler to replace the stock). And I keep it under 55C with OCing now. I just have to watch the room temp...

120C?? wow... you could boil water on that thing... I wish they made CPUs that could take that...