FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


phpMyAdmin database weirdness





Solugon
I logged onto my phpMyAdmin earlier and found my test database to be loaded with lost of "phpBB_" things. I never put them there, and I'm wondering if someone could have hacked into my account... Any ideas?
mathiaus
The database called test is seen by everyone, unless you mean your test one you created, not called test Question
Solugon
Uh, I mean the test database literally called "test" in phpMyAdmin, that can only be accessed by typing in my username and password. Not the demo DirectAdmin. The real thing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this "overhead" statistic is on the right side of the "pet" table in my test database. It's never been there before, and I'm wondering if that means someone's accessing it or something?
mOrpheuS
Solugon wrote:
Uh, I mean the test database literally called "test" in phpMyAdmin, that can only be accessed by typing in my username and password. Not the demo DirectAdmin. The real thing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this "overhead" statistic is on the right side of the "pet" table in my test database. It's never been there before, and I'm wondering if that means someone's accessing it or something?

The "test" database is something of a mystery.
It's just that ... a test database.
It's visible to everyone on the server and is writable by all.
Somebody else probably was doing something on it when you noticed it getting changed "by itself".
You don't really want to use that database for anything serious, there's no point in doing so as someone else might just delete your data from it thinking they just cleared up some space of their own Rolling Eyes


The overhead in a table is also nothing to worry about unless it grows really big and starts impacting your overall database/account disk usage significantly.
It just shows [the disk space used by a table] - [actual data held within it] ... which usually happens due to data being deleted, leaving empty space behind : a very simplistic way to put it, really.
But if it really bothers you, you can always "optimize" the table with a sql query. (optimize table pets)
Or just do it from within the phpmyadmin gui (select table with overhead -> select "optimize" from the drop down below)

It'll free up a few bytes on your account Wink
Solugon
Oh. So the "test" database that I see on my account along with *my* database, is viewable by *everyone* (the test database, not my database)...

Well, I guess I deleted some poor fellow's test database phpBB files on accident. Embarassed
mOrpheuS
Solugon wrote:
Oh. So the "test" database that I see on my account along with *my* database, is viewable by *everyone* (the test database, not my database)...

Exactly.
Don't put any data on it unless you want to end up like the "poor fellow" Wink

Solugon wrote:
Well, I guess I deleted some poor fellow's test database phpBB files on accident. Embarassed


and now the "poor fellow" knows exactly whom to blame Laughing
Solugon
Laughing That's too funny... *hides face and changes name*
Related topics
WTF! A strange database just appeared lol
phpMyAdmin
phpBB transfering
I can't upload my Database SQL script ! Helllppppp!!!!
Strange Mysql-database
Importing an existing database...
Mysql database problem
Can't restore database
best phpmyadmin database exporting format
Extracting Database from PHPmyAdmin
Installing phpBB2 with WAMP
Database connections failes after new month
how to delete the database from phpmyadmin
phpMyAdmin Create database: No Privileges
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.