FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Parrots






Do you have a parrot?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
No
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
I'll get one soon.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

william
My favorite pet is a parrot. If you ask others this question the response is usually, a dog. I have a c o c k a t i e l right now. It doesn't bite, it's very social, and easy to take care of. I'd like to have a scarlet macaw along with an eletus. My question is, do you like parrots? If so, which one? Also, if you don't have a parrot, I'd recommend getting one. But, don't get one if your other pets (if you have others) won't get along. You two will become best friends!

Animal wrote:
Over-sensitive word filter bypassed by me Wink
ladyrobina
I don't have a parrot myself, but my daughter has 2 princess and 4 burke parrots. We are in Aus. I don't know if there are many of these breeds overseas, but they are lovely birds. The male princess parrot talks quite well and sounds like my daughter. It sure fools the dogs. ha ha
Gieter
Parrots are cool, here in my country some people have parrots, but not too many. I think it's very cool to have a talking parrot (not all parrots can 'talk'), but talking parrots also can cause some embarassing situations, I'm sure you have heard enough of these stories. Wink It would be nice to have a parrot, and then put it on my shoulder. Aaargh!
Catastrophic Fairy
Well, I don't have a parrot, or any birds myself (too many cats). But my aunt breeds parrots and other birds. Calling her, you'll hear her 30+ birds in the background. :p The birds acturally have more of the house than my aunt and uncle do. >3
Code of Ruin
I haven't got any parrots but my neighbours have one. I really don't mind the bird as long as it shuts up. I find nothing more annoying than parrots singing along with the radio etc. And the buggers are as mean as hell, they have a really nasty bite. I 'm not much of a fan of these birds.
william
Code of Ruin wrote:
I haven't got any parrots but my neighbours have one. I really don't mind the bird as long as it shuts up. I find nothing more annoying than parrots singing along with the radio etc. And the buggers are as mean as hell, they have a really nasty bite. I 'm not much of a fan of these birds.


Well, only some bite. For example, mine doesn't bite, except for defense (rare). And, even that bite isn't nasty. Although, a lot of people do say that parrots are too noisy. But, there are a few species that don't talk too much.
theo
my aunt got one
he/she is really cute
but he/she flew away lately
william
theo wrote:
my aunt got one
he/she is really cute
but he/she flew away lately


Crying or Very sad Nightmare!

This is a true story. Once, a parrot flew away from it's house. After 3 years, it found it's way home. This was kinda hard to believe but it did happen.
girlinjapan
I heard that some can live to be 100 years old! Those big, white ones...I don't know their name, sorry. Those guys are pretty smart too!

Smart animal-meet dumb owner Confused
william
Are you talking about a C o c k a t o o? I thought they lived to be 80. 100 years is amazing. I think the Eletus can live that long too.
softnow
I am in Australia and have a number of pet birds (Galah , C o c k a t o o, 2x Quarrions) as well as the birds we breed
Rosa Burks
Quarrions (c o c katiels)
Princess Parrots
Indian Ringnecks
Galahs
Budgies

We handraise a lot of birds to sell as pets

I love my birds but I also have other pets as well (dogs, cat and fish)
We feed alot of the wild bird when they come, as it normally means they are having difficulty finding seed
Mr Smith
The last time I walked into my avairy, my cokatoo (REAL SPELLING IS BLOCKED BY THE BAD WORD FILTER :/) attacked me and bit my nose. I shot it (Obviously) as it caused so much pain that I kicked a stack of bricks, kicking it too much that the stack of bricks fell, and smashed through a glass cup, making such a noise that my cat jumped from where it slept and landed in its own poop, scared it runs through the house and all over the new leather couch, which was just before my mohmie sat down, smelling the poo she throws her drink in the air in fright, making the water land on the light which was on. The mains overcharged and blew up, causing a gas leak in the gas bottle which was stupidly placed by the mains in 1960 when the beautiful house was built.

My car was next to this leaking gas bottle, which sparked when the bullet from my gun hit the car, bouncing off the bird (somehow). The whole place ignited, cauging me to have third degree burns all over my arse.

In other words... yes I do have a parrot/budgie.
william
Mr Smith wrote:
The last time I walked into my avairy, my cokatoo (REAL SPELLING IS BLOCKED BY THE BAD WORD FILTER :/) attacked me and bit my nose. I shot it (Obviously) as it caused so much pain that I kicked a stack of bricks, kicking it too much that the stack of bricks fell, and smashed through a glass cup, making such a noise that my cat jumped from where it slept and landed in its own poop, scared it runs through the house and all over the new leather couch, which was just before my mohmie sat down, smelling the poo she throws her drink in the air in fright, making the water land on the light which was on. The mains overcharged and blew up, causing a gas leak in the gas bottle which was stupidly placed by the mains in 1960 when the beautiful house was built.

My car was next to this leaking gas bottle, which sparked when the bullet from my gun hit the car, bouncing off the bird (somehow). The whole place ignited, cauging me to have third degree burns all over my arse.

In other words... yes I do have a parrot/budgie.


How could you shoot it?! Crying or Very sad I would never kill a bird. (Unless I was gonna eat it.)
Mr Smith
Do you really think I didn't eat it?

rofl... I ate its head, and left the rest of it for the ants to devour.

Mate I'm just playing with you... =/
william
Yeah Very Happy .
triggerhappy
no, but i wish i had a parrot i love birds my parrot would be mostly blue if i was to get one but i already have 12 pets
mmaccarelli
I started out with one cockatiel and spoiled him ROTTEN when I first got him. We decided that he needed a friend, so we got him a budgie.....then two parakeets.......and another cockatiel......... We discovered that he needed a girlfriend, so as luck would have it a female cockatiel flew into our backyard and he was smitten! We bought a lovebird on a whim, so that makes 6. The cockatiel pair has laid over 8 clutches of birds this year and we decided to keep a few! Our birds are VERY spoiled and run free all day long. Thank God for the Roomba! (Robotic vacuum cleaner) We are enslaved by birds. Wink
jipmerite
Does feeding chilli seeds really help make the big birds like macaw and cokatoo start to speak faster?

Is it possible to teach a cokatiel to learn to talk?
william
I'm not sure about chili seeds. But, you can teach some c o c k a t i e l s to talk. Though, they won't talk as good as other birds.
Jaime
I love the parrots, the parrots are animals very intelligent... It have a beautiful color (some parrots have variad color)... but i have one green with red, it is little but very social....it's a great mascot...
jipmerite
I heard that African Grey Parrot is the easiest to teach to talk. They are of the macaw family. Their body is all grey. Not very appealing compared to the variety of colours you can get in macaws.

I once saw a macaw which had such beautiful feathers. But it was very expensive. Someday maybe I'll try to own one. But teaching a bird to talk takes a lot of time and devotion I guess.

Maybe I should just stick to breeding birds. I don't think macaws breed in captivity very often.
william
Yeah, African Greys can talk really well. As I know of, they can learn up to 700 words. They're also able to respond to humans. These birds are very intelligent.
Jaime
How much is a gray parrot???
william
I'm not sure about exactly how much they cost, but a Timneh African Grey would be around $650, while the Red-tailed African Greys are around $825. These aren't exact. I'm not sure if they're completly accurate, but that's from one store. They are fairly expensive.
Garga
I haven't got any parrots but my neighbours have one. It is talking very nice Smile
Josso
They are amusing, I'd like to have one actually but I doubt I'll get one anytime soon. We taught my friends one to swear (immaturity showing, but it was sure as hell funny when visitors were round).
Jaime
william wrote:
I'm not sure about exactly how much they cost, but a Timneh African Grey would be around $650, while the Red-tailed African Greys are around $825. These aren't exact. I'm not sure if they're completly accurate, but that's from one store. They are fairly expensive.


They Are very expensive Confused
william
Yeah, unfortunetly they are. Sad Though, of you were to adopt one, it'd cost you a lot less.
jipmerite
My friend had a Cokatoo...It was kept near the living room. After a while it started to imitate the people in the house. And one of the things it heard most was people picking up the phone and calling for the person for whom the call was.

So as soon as the phone rings it will start yelling "call for ---", "call for ----".... Problem was it will call the name of all the people in the house. Eventually they got fedup of the yelling and gave it away. Smile
carolinehjkim
I don't have parrot but I really want to get them.
I think it would be really fun to have any kinds of pet actually but parrot is one of my top 5 list to get.
Hammy
I have a parrot, but i dont really like it lol.
It' bit me too many times and drew blood, so i have nothing to do with it anymore. Plus it s***'s everywhere. Pfft! Sad

Hammy.
william
You can train them not to, though it has to be done at a young age.
jipmerite
How do I go about training them not to go whenever they have to? They're birds....not really that smart nor easy to communicate to...

Actually I have always wondered how people can have big birds such as macaws as pets and have them pretty loose in the room and not have the problem of their poop on the tables and stuff...

So how to train them?
Related topics
my parrrot
Marine World
Your favorate pet
SEARCHING FOR MR. GOOD-WAR
Pets
[OFFICIAL] What's your favourite pet?
Post your pet pictures
Me and my butterfly
Animal Rights
My Parrots
Which is the most intelligent animal?
My pet parrot
A parrot...
Talking Parrots...
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Hobbies and Animals

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.