FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mercedes or BMW?

Mercedes or BMW?
Mercedes
35%
 35%  [ 15 ]
BMW
64%
 64%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 42

william
Mercedes and BMW are both cool cars. (Not as good as some powerful sports cars.) I'm just wondering, what do you think is better? I, really don't know what to pick. Mercedes has this really cool car, the SLR McLaren. BMW is very high tech as compared to Mercedes. And, if you compare price, BMW has some better offers. Now, let's take a Mercedes C Class and compare it with a BMW 3 series. These are both the lower end cars of the companies. The C Class is pretty reliable and the 3 Series seems to be a little more luxurious. Well, anyway, what's better?
Dustie
i like bmw better than mercedes, mercedes comes with some ugly cars at the moment. and bmw part are easyer to get than mercedes parts.
junodark
Er, even with Mercedes-Benz's customer support going down the drain, I'd still take Mercedes over BMW any day.

For one, I loathe Chris Bangle and his designs. The new 5 series and 7 series have awful proportion, the new 3 series as fun to look at as watching paint dry, in fact only the 6 series really looks nice, but it has a big funny chin and you still have to deal with iDrive... blech.

That, and I mean no offense to anyone here if they drive a BMW, but BMW's (Especially the 3 Series) are driven by people looking for an executive image, and in a way that makes them sort of trashy to me.

However I loved the E36, especially the E36 M3. That car had proportion, specifically; it didn't look like a whale.

But Mercedes drivers always tend to actually be executives, or at least smart people. And their cars aren't as hideous as the Bangle machines; the new SL I like a lot. And as far as technology goes, the S-Class is any technophile's dream. Plus, with Mercedes, you can always opt to get an AMG motor. And besides, Benz has been building cars for over a century, and they have a long history of great cars (From the 300SL Gullwing to the 190 Evolution Touring car). BMW doesn't really have that prestigious heritage (What, the 507?)

Anyway, thats my opinion.
william
Well, I've asked a lot of people. Most younger people prefer BMW while some older people like Mercedes. And I agree that some BMW's don't look so great. I, personally, like the look of the 6 series but also the 5. But, I think the 7 series needs to be redesigned. And, I may go with Mercedes because of their SLR Mclaren. But, if you don't include the SLR, then I'm still not sure.
Blaster
BMW's are nicer looking I think. They just make a better quialty car i think. It seems like BMW doesn't make any crappy cars and Mercedes does. Not saying they don't make good cars just some of Mercedes cars are crappy. BMW just seems better then Mercedes. BMW also has some nice looking sports cars and it doesn't seem like Mercedes does.
adeishere
Mercedes of cource...
do you even watch Formula 1???
who is the winner???
Mercedes.,, huh??!
Kimi Raikonnen n Juan Pablo Montoya...

but now not much better..
but i still support for mercedes
g_unit90
i like BMW.
dude_xyx
I like the look of BMW's also parts are little less expensive than Benz. also easier to get.
william
Wow, it's a tie right now, 3-3. But, I sorta expected this. From what I've seen, it depends on the person's personality and in some cases, age.
greekcovers
I love BMW and i have one ! BMW cars are more sport than Mercedes. Laughing
shizzly
This poll is waay too easy, of course it's BMW! Smile
I just don't like Mercedes because of the lack of quality they're supposed to give the client!
Interior is just ugly for what you pay.
You get more quality with BMW than Mercedes for the same price!
If you ever thinking of buying a car, buy BMW, you don't want nothing else Wink
zplitstonez
good day to everyone, my choice is, mercedes benz. For me, benz is still the best car in the world, with good dezigns with a durable body, and high tech gadgets, classic looks, and modern looks are just thesame, they are well designed by the great engineers of the mercedes benz company...

Keep up the good work

Thank you

GOD bless

BYE for now.
Jurado
Mercedes of course , CLK - GTR , CLS , etc.
What a race tradition.
fernando5k
BMW!!!!!

Q7, M5, M3, Z8.... Z3, Z4 and the Other i love that Cars
william
Mercedes is winning. Do you think you can state your age group (20s, 30s, 40s, etc.) and gender? Age and gender may have an effect on the car. But, I think age has the major effect.
leonlad
i like MB more than BMW
BMW is for younger stupid who like fly or not drive
leonlad
i like MB more than BMW
BMW is for younger stupid who like fly or not drive
the disturbed
BMW's are so much better than mercades...

mercades have pretty ugly cars out nowadays and BMW's are just damn sexy if you ask me
darkeagle
BMW Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I won't change BMW for other cars.
I have BMW and I am pleased.

Mercedes made of tin Laughing
mtorregiani
Hard decision, BMW is a lovely car, and the Mercedes Benz too, but... I go with the BMW

But I prefer an Opel (like the Opel Calibra V6) than a BMW

(Don't call me crazy)
william
Mercedes was in the lead. Now BMW is. Surprising.
lyndonray
Idea Comparing mercedes to bmw is like comparing fine wine to really, really good beer! Its a matter of taste. benz is like the classy graceful young lady across the room, but bmw is like the hot milf next to her. Again, a matter of taste. But I drive a 1994 C180 and its a cool car and I love it long times! But if a slutty M3 happened to pass by, there is no telling how faithful I would be
bluffmango
lyndonray wrote:
Idea Comparing mercedes to bmw is like comparing fine wine to really, really good beer! Its a matter of taste. benz is like the classy graceful young lady across the room, but bmw is like the hot milf next to her. Again, a matter of taste. But I drive a 1994 C180 and its a cool car and I love it long times! But if a slutty M3 happened to pass by, there is no telling how faithful I would be

i agree with u...Merc sure is very classy
Pablo Diablo
As a valet I have driven most of the cars out there, an dI can say without a doubt that Mercedes doesn;t even come close to comparing to BMW's. Mercedes feel very cheap, and the interior of their cars are horrible, especially the dash and radio/environment controls.

BMW is so far above it in terms of quality that it really shouldn't even be a debate.
Anselmi
I like bmw because it looks more street car than mercedes. mercedes is good car too but it is too modern.
Kirill
adeishere wrote:
Mercedes of cource...
do you even watch Formula 1???
who is the winner???
Mercedes.,, huh??!
Kimi Raikonnen n Juan Pablo Montoya...

but now not much better..
but i still support for mercedes

i think hes talking about production cars...
plus u wouldnt judge a company based on a race car w/ a daimler/chrysler engine in it but yea formula 1 is the shit and mercedes seems to always come out on top but cont judge a C class by those cars
jeffel
[IMG]http://mercedesbenz.publispain.com/mercedes_slr.sized.jpg[IMG]

THIS IS MERCEDES SLR THE BEST OF MERCEDES
Garg
Audi !

Cheaper than both, and yet so much better !
miniklub
All 3 Audi, BMW and Mercedes are great cars. If you like sportly cars then BMW will be for you the 1. choice. We had 2 Audis in my family and when we first drove a BMW it became the make of our choice. Now we had 3 BMW and our next car will be BMW again. Mercedes has this image for older people with hats Wink - ok except the SLR but this is a sports car that cant be compered with the mercedes C class or the BMW 3 series. Audi is nothing for me because it has its permanent 4 wheel drive and therefore is this car not funny to drive. The 4 wheel drive in the Mitsubishi EVO is an other world Wink
Gunner54
I Like The Mercadies Better (Sry I Cant Spell LOL) I Mean The BMW Is Good But I Like The Mercadies It Has More Quality And Offeceientsy That The BMW. But Its Not Up To me Thogh.
swordbeta
Me BMW!
macfly
if you're hesitating between a mercedes and a BMW, buy a BMW. You won't regret it. I hope I will have always have money enough to afford BMW. Once you get one, it's hard to drive something else !
nappa
In my country old folks love Mercedes Benz. I don't know why ,but whoever drive Mercedes seems to gain more respect. I and many of my friends love BMW. It more sporty and look cool to young folks like us. I have a BMW E36 (3 series year 1995 model) and I love it.
BruceTheDauber
In my opinion, BMW cars are usually quite ugly. For that reason, I'd rather have a Mercedes Benz. Actually, the really old BMW from the 1970s look good. Unfortunately, they don't look as good as the even older Mercs from the 1960s, and there aren't as many around. It seems BMWs don't last as long, or the people who buy BMWs don't look after them. Not sure which.
Leetch
BMW are smooth, I like the look of em,..
jellepellee
I Like BMW.. the cars are great! My uncle have one! I like the car
Traveller
Since I have never driven a BMW, I cannot speak for them. In 1993, however, when my boss sent me to a client's site but I discovered that one of my car's tires was flat, the boss gave me the keys to his Mercedes. Although he had not kept the outside looking very attractive, that car had the most amazingly smooth ride I have ever had - absolutely flawless.

Oh. By the way, it was a 1973 Mercedes - in other words, a 20-year-old car. I understood, then, that Mercedes cost so much no just because of their luxury status, but because they are truly incredible machines that will perform exceptionally for much longer than the average car.

Unfortunately, however, I have never been able to afford one. Sad
silentpark
like the others (seems so) i like bmw more than mercedes. Well, i think the bmw cars look better, more racy and well yeah a bit sooth (why not), than mercedes. (mercedes is a bit to "clean".. thing about the cowling bmw uses to have... looks a bit like its smiling)

i don't no why, but mercedes is for me a car for serniors (well the standard classes^^). (hmm maybe because many 'old' people i know have a mercedes Twisted Evil )

^^
serdar47
mercedes is best of.
megamass
bmw 3 series and 5 series are for "fun" - draging, racing and so on. all mercedes benz are for comfort as like as bmw 7 class. i love big and comfortable cars, so if i nedd to choose one, i probably choose mercedes s class, because mercedes is mercedes, it doesnt matter how old it is, but it is still mercedes.
william
For me, it's hard to believe that BMW is beating Mercedes. I expected Mercedes to win this, probably because most of the people I ask say Mercedes. Though, I think people here are comparing the 3, 5, 7, etc. series with the C, E, S, etc. Classes. I don't think many people are looking at high end cars such as the $450,000 SLR.
bulek
Mercedes here!
Ikthar
I think that BMW is way better than Mercedes Benz... From Mercedes, I like only the SLR, and from BMW, well, I like almost every car that they produce... Mercedes is too classic-looking for me, I prefer BMW design.
nhatoday
I don't know much about Mercedesm but i own couple 3 series bmw and I love them.
Skye001
BMW especially the new shape look more sporty but I like the new mercedes that are rolled out. Im suprised the thread isnt audi vs bmw vs mercedes, the new audi A5 looks amazing but I prefer the BMW 330d or M3 it just looks so sexc.

The only bad thing with BMW's is that the driving alignment is wrong. The steering column more left and the pedals are more right so your body is actually doing this \ not in a straight line as |. So ive heard from a friend.
songwang
I have same feeling about Mercedes which is good on all modes. But I notice BMW has higher price than Mercedes, like SUV, BMW's price is over ten thousand dollar more than Mercedes. That's strange to me!
Asis
i like bmw more and i think it has more style
socceraggie
I'm in agreement with Nappa. I think Mercedes look like an older person's vehicle. I think BMWs are amazing and fun sporty cars while Mercedes just look like big boats on wheels to me. I'm not trying to say that Mercedes are bad cars or anything. I'm sure they are wonderful luxury vehicles, I'm just a big fan of BMW.
lethaltriad
I love the sporty look of the BMW's, especially the 6 series and the M3 but i've seen some of the newer Benz and they are really nice. I would own either of them, with a little more preference to BMW.
Skye001
The new C-class is just gorgeous thou but its being driving by cooperate employee's and used as business cars... but it is so sweet ... it easily beats the 3-series! The front end is just beautiful and looks mean.
ocalhoun
So much about how they look!
Are looks all that you people care about in cars?
sbenjamin
BMW's are such sexy looking smooth vehicles. Very Happy
Some of the Mercedes are just plain looking... looking plain.
sbenjamin
Woooo... those BMW's are some sexy and smooth vehicles ... double kidney grill. I have fallen in love and I was never one to have a "best" or "favorite" car and I'm almost 40!!!! My future husband will have some competition now. {HMMM BMW OR MAN???}
Oh, Mercedes, some of them are just plain Janes. Big Name, but small on looks.
Oh yeah did I say I love those BMW's??
sbenjamin
Woooo... those BMW's are some sexy and smooth vehicles ... double kidney grill. I have fallen in love and I was never one to have a "best" or "favorite" car and I'm almost 40!!!! My future husband will have some competition now. {HMMM BMW OR MAN???}
Oh, Mercedes, some of them are just plain Janes. Big Name, but small on looks.
Oh yeah did I say I love those BMW's??
DeltaM
I like the looks of bmw more then mercedes, both are great cars with good comfort and some alternatives with awsome engines. But I think I would go for the bmw anyway.. probably like a 3 series coupe if I'd take something that I might afford sometime otherwise a m3 coupe ahh Very Happy

Ohh w8 If I would have alot of money I take a M5 hurricane. That's alot of power for a street legal car Twisted Evil link: http://www.worldcarfans.com/10802042441/g-power-m5-hurricane-sets-world-record
anasash
BMW vs MERCEDES
BMW wins over BENZ.....

i just love all those kidney-shaped grills from Germany..............
BMW is no doubt ahead of Mercedes in most of it's models in case of its techno part.
As part from the driver, BMW gives the best experience to sit and drive the car ,
whereas Mercedes gives the ultimate feel in experiencing the luxury by sitting in the rear and the driver driving the car ..........
So if u find thrill in driving, BMWs for u............
ABADI
Well it depends on three factors; 1- Age, 2- classic, 3- performance

1-Age
I would never buy a 4door mercedes until I'm in my late 40s, every time i drive by mercedes , i assume the driver is old LOL. I think if you are in your twenties or early thirties , you should go with BMW.
when i was twenty(2001) I bought Lexus GS300 because it looked cooler than BMW and Mercedes.
Now, I'm on my late twenties, so i got the 530I. It's really good car to match my age.

2-Classic
I do like mercedes a lot, but i really don't like the new design of the midsize and I don't like the interior design. However, if you are in your forties, it will be not a big deal.

3-Performance
I'm talking for the midsize ( C-class and 3 or 5 series... If you consider 3 series from midsize..i don't ...LOL) I think BMW is the winner.

However, for me I will go with BMW because I'm still young... BUT for sure when i get older, I'll go with mercedes but the luxury ones...
soljarag
neither.... Audi is better... I have a 2008 S4 and love it
akum
BMW is the ultimate driving machine. i think even if i had the money for a mclaren ,slr or what not, i would still buy a bmw csl, the 3 series is one of the most prestigious cars ever made. especailly award winnning and affordabilty it all looks the way of bmw over ,over-priced merecedes .i just bought a new c300 and belive it or not i miss my m3 Embarassed
dude_xyx
Maybe Mercadies has better quality cars but still I'm a BMW fan. Smile
Nick2008
Both are top quality German branded cars. Both will give you luxury, comfort, and tons of features. In my opinion here's why separates the two companies:

BMW
Pros:

• More Stylish
  • More Power
  • The Ultimate Driving Machine

Cons:

• Less Comfort vs Benz
  • Less Options vs Benz

Mercedes-Benz
Pros:

• More luxury vehicles
  • Generally more comfortable
  • Generally more advanced features and options

Cons:

• Most models have less power vs BMW
  • Body styles have remained pretty constant

Side Notes:
The benz has a better luxury SUV/Crossover lineup, but the BMW has more power-packing SUV/Crossovers (X5, X6)

Benz's have generally been stereotyped for the older crowd (wanting luxury and comfort), and BMW have generally been stereotyped for the younger crowd (wanting power and style).
soljarag
Audi is better.... I have an 2008 S4 and couldn't be happier
Marcuzzo
this topic started like, 4 years ago. nevertheless I like to give my opinion on the matter.
there is no "real" way of telling which car is better.
the reason for this is mainly personal preference.
eg: the models look better, the ride is smoother, the performance is better, ect...
each and every one of us has their likes and dislikes, and we can all find our needs in different makes and models.
personaly I prefer an Alfa Romeo over... wel any sedan.
I'm talking about the Twin spark versions... not the JTDM.
their steering is direct, the acceleration is good, electronics may be...rubbish, but still the way it handles makes up for it... habba-habba

ok, back on topic.
both Merc and BMW have:
sport models: SLR, CLK and other for Merc and the M/Z-series for BMW.
luxury cars: Merc C-E class and BMW 7,8 series
SUV's: M-class for Merc and the X-series for BMW.

To make a good comparison, you would need to look at each model and find the equivalent in the other brand, for instance, the SLR could be compared to the M6.

now, Mercedes-Benz is not only notorious for their quality and performance, they also provide excellent support. this is also an important factor.

IMO, the Germans may have had Nietzsche and Marx ( Werner ), but their cars have no soul.
Jeremy Clarkson once wrote:
German cars are like going to germany, everything works and everything is perfect, but you don't want to go on holliday to Germany, you want to go to Italy

finally to conclude, If I reeeeeaaaaally had to choose between the 2, I would go for Mercedes.

EDIT: saying that Mercedes is more for the older crowd who want luxury and not power is not quite true.
this video shows how a Murcielago gets burned by an SLR
repairit
No sure why but i find Mercedes to have a more prestigious feel. Every second person has a 3 series. Plus i love the new c200 look. Reminds me of the SL
rattoonline
BMW is great at design and it's modern technology setups. I would prefer BMW.
BigGeek
I realize that this thread is pretty old, but I need points and I have my opinions about cars, that are tainted with my American Engineering experience.

BMW or Mercedes? While these are both well built cars and German engineering is exceptional, I think that their styling lacks some, for both manufacturers, and I think the price on the hoarse power is too much. Honestly at 35K Mercedes or BMW is a bottom of the line car with 250 to 300 HP.

Too add to that, the cars are heavy and although the weight is balanced well, and they handle well, they lack in power which makes them in my opinion an inferior car.

If I was going to spend 35-45 thousand dollars on a new car I would get a LS3 Camaro, Mustang GT, or a Charger R/T these cars are over 400 HP, handle well, and have massive acceleration to the extent that BMW and Mercedes cannot compete with.

I hear the excuse all the time, that with Mercedes you are paying for the ride, and the name, and the same with BMW. I can tell you that upfront price is not the end of it with these cars, they cost much more for repairs and maintenance. Another thing that runs against them.

Whenever an owner of a low end Mercedes or BMW site the ride advantage, I look at them and exclaim, when I blow by in my 480 horsepower Camaro, you can tell me how great that ride is!

It must be great, because it is slow Shocked
deanhills
We've got an old Camaro pasted up for sale on our local Super Market Bill Board. Am going to look at it with different eyes when I check it out later.
william
Wow, I sound like an idiot. Laughing

Enough time has passed for me to say that I'm not fond of the offerings from either of them. First of all, they are far more expensive than they're worth. Until the 1990s, Mercedes actually offered some of the best built and engineered cars in the world. They were tanks built without budgets and capable of reaching a million miles while offering classic luxury and solidity. BMW used to make cars that were worthy of being called the "ultimate driving machine" (E30 anyone?). They didn't have enormous engines or anything, but they offered such an immerse driving experience with a sharp chassis and light and stylish body. Especially in the case of Mercedes, they were worth their asking price.

Nowadays, the badge has added too much to their "value". And now both of them (along with Audi) are making cars that are pretty much exactly the same. Sure, Bimmers still drive a bit better than the others and Benzes feel more like a vault than the others, but the difference is small now. Plus, as other manufacturers have advanced (I'm looking at GM, Ford, and Volkswagen in particular), the lower end offerings from both brands look silly.

That said, on the high end they are still pioneers of technology, safety, and dynamics. But I certainly wouldn't buy them at those astronomical prices. Not to mention that their older cars are far more appealing.

So to answer my own question: neither. But if it was the 1980s, I would say that both excel in their respective goals.
deanhills
Darn! The Camaro that was pasted up for sale is gone. Checked and I think it could only have been up for a day. That kind'a tells a story of how popular they are compared with German and Japanese cars that have been posted up as well. Camaros are very popular here. Second hand Camaros are very popular as well.
andro_king
BMW always!
enilsoncba
Well, in my opinion the BMW (especially series 3) are driven by people looking for a picture executive, a luxury car, with refinements filled with personal details.

On the other hand, has Chris Bangle and his projects. I thought the new series with a ratio horrible, the new 3 Series as fun to look at as watching paint dry, in fact, only the 6 series looks really good, but has a big chin fun and you still have to deal with iDrive.

But Mercedes drivers always tend to be really officers, or persons, at least intelligent. And their cars are not as horrible as the machines Bangle, the new SL I really like. And as far as technology goes, the S-Class is the dream of any technophile. Moreover, with the Mercedes, you can always opt to receive an AMG. And besides, Benz has been building cars for over a century, and they have a long history of great cars (300SL Gullwing From 190 to Evolution Touring Car). BMW does not really have the heritage of prestige ..
BigGeek
I also have to add that the new Cadillac is a impressive car to see, and compared to BMW and Mercedes it is a much more impressive machine to drive......550 HP in the CTSV, and WOW does that car handle.....the Mercedes feels like a tank in comparison.

I would say that German engineering is exceptional, and both of these car companies have always been the best for quality and durability, but there is more to a driving experience than those two aspects. Like horsepower, and acceleration, and on that end of it the US cars have always had the edge. The cost per horsepower for US cars is the best hands down.

I was floored when I read a few years back that all the big name companies were using the magnetic ride control that was developed by GM, including Ferrari as well as Mercedes and BMW. My feeling is that as high tech as all the new cars are these days that the European companies are losing their edge technologically speaking to the Japanese and the US. Plus their body styles are not all that impressive. Again it is the name on them that sells them more than anything in my opinion!!
zimmer
william wrote:
Mercedes and BMW are both cool cars. (Not as good as some powerful sports cars.) I'm just wondering, what do you think is better? I, really don't know what to pick. Mercedes has this really cool car, the SLR McLaren. BMW is very high tech as compared to Mercedes. And, if you compare price, BMW has some better offers. Now, let's take a Mercedes C Class and compare it with a BMW 3 series. These are both the lower end cars of the companies. The C Class is pretty reliable and the 3 Series seems to be a little more luxurious. Well, anyway, what's better?

I vote for BMW because Mercedes is too much executive i think from there design and profile users.. BMW is kinda sports design and not too much executive..
Hollysjamama
Looking right now for a sexy convertible around 40-50,000 range. 328i looks great. Infinity only sexy with top down. MB has uncomfortable seats front and back and can't handle as well. Lexus? Audi? Which convertible is better?
Taryn
For one, I would take BMW or Mercedes over any Japanese or american car, as the Japanese are just copy cats and neither have the engineering of the German cars (BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Porsche)

Even though I enjoy driving both cars, respecting them deeply for the engineering, cornering, responsiveness and quickness. BMW seems to tilt towards the sport side where Mercedes tilts more towards luxury. BMW offers the 4 year 50K Maintenance (whichever comes first) where Mercedes doesn't, but with either car as long as it isn't a copy cat Japanese car, cannot go wrong

I was one of the 1st to get a new 2014 4 series and I love it, but I also test drove the new Mercedes CLA250 since it juts came out. This is a wonderful car too, the CLA250 is priced so chaep. No one should ever buy a Honda or Cammy again.lol