FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Something I noticed with my ATI Graphics Card

Urahara
Just for fun I decided to bust out Serious Sam: The Second Encounter yesterday. The first time I played that game ages ago I still had a GeForce 2 GTS. Now, using a X1900 XT, my first few clicks after getting the game started were of course, jacking up all the graphics to the max. The game runs on OpenGL like a charm (no kidding, 250+ fps, limited by CPU.) Then I thought, since the ATI Radeon series were known to run Direct3D games such as Half Life 2, I switched the graphics settings to run Direct3D, and my performance took a HUGE hit, averaging about 90 fps.

90 FPS is still very respectable, but how come ATI cards run OpenGL so much better for this case? Is it because of the game's engine? Last time I checked ATI was known for Direct3D, not OpenGL, as OpenGL gamed belonged to nVIDIA.
looksbad
Dunno there trying to compete with Nvidia so there trying to beat them at there own game? The game does support DirectX right?? Might have some options configured wrong try changing them im sure you can boost your fps higher than that.
AftershockVibe
The game code may be optimised to run as OpenGL rather than Direct3D as you say, that's probably the reason.

Also, OpenGL is Open Source (Open Graphics Library) and not owned by NVidia, although they may well have made significant contributions. Direct3D is owned by Microsoft as part of its DirectX technologies
mOrpheuS
Urahara wrote:
90 FPS is still very respectable, but how come ATI cards run OpenGL so much better for this case? Is it because of the game's engine? Last time I checked ATI was known for Direct3D, not OpenGL, as OpenGL gamed belonged to nVIDIA.

Which OpenGL game did you try out that gave you the 250+ fps ?
Is it some game from the days of your GF2 GTS ? Razz

If you've cranked up the graphics settings right to the max as you said you did, around 90 fps is what you should expect from any recent game - even with your top of the line graphics card.

Eg., you should not expect more than a 100 fps on Quake 4 at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 8xAF.
90-100 fps in HL2 at the above level of eye candy is also normal.

p.s. - Try playing F.E.A.R at those settings ... you'll be surprised. Rolling Eyes

nVidia still does OpenGL better than ATI and vice versa.
Donutey
The game was meant to natively run on OpenGL, I think the Direct3D setting is there only if the video card you are using can't operate using OpenGL.

Some games are made to run best on D3D some on oGL... Rolling Eyes