FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Freezing problem

ladyrobina
I am having a problem with my desktop computer freezing. It happens at random, with nothing in particular apparently causing it.
I had the hard drive reformatted in Dec 05 and windows XP home 2nd edition installed.
Everything seemed to be going very well with the desktop pc until I got a laptop and had a wireless nework installed on my desktop pc so that I could transfer files from one to the other. Could this be causing incompatability prolems? Anyone got any suggestions?
k_s_baskar
Try to install proper driver for your wireless device manually.
Reinstall TCP/IP protocal doing so may solve your problem.
Very Happy
all the best
thermaltake
ladyrobina can u send the specs of ur laptop
ladyrobina
My laptop is an ASUS with Windows Home sp2 installed. it has 512mg ram and the wireless is IEEE 802.11. Is there anything else I can tell you about it?
Clash
Why are you using a wireless connection?

It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to buy a crossover cable and connect the two together that way.

No problems with wireless connections then. Laughing

However if it is impossible or inconvenient to do this, set both computers to use windows to control the wireless network, rather than the default which sets the network cards to do the networking. Sometimes there are incompatabilities between proprietary drivers which could be causing your problem.

As a test, turn off the wireless network and use a crosoover cable and see if the problems occur then.
ChargerBear
You can try this and see if it helps. Click start---control pannel---system. Click the advanced tab. Under performance click settings. Click the advanced tab. Hit change under virtual memory. Select system managed size. Then hit set. If you have more than one HD. You need to set each HD individually..

Computers are becoming more and more dependent on memory. My fist computer was a Texas Instuments TI99/4A. It had 4K of ram. My desktop and my laptop have 512k. I'm thinking of adding more. My computers are about 3 years old now. I'll probably build or buy new computers with more than 512k of RAM. I've built some of my computers and I've bought some of them. I think it comes out less expensive to buy computers. I've looked at the prices for dual core processors. The price is higher to buy the processor then it is to buy a whole computer system with the same processor.

Changing the virtual memory to system managed might do the trick if your problem is caused by saturation.
ladyrobina
I tried a cable first. Had a bit of trouble with it. Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a try.
ladyrobina
The problem was coming from a faulty RAM. Thanks for all who gave suggestions.