FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP without mySQL

wonbin
Hello,

I am designing a simple website for a client, but would like to incorporate the ability to easily change the content. This would be straightforward, but unfortunately there is no access to mySQL. Currently the content is contained in various .inc files. Is it possible to manipulate .inc files using php in the same way that a mySQL record can be updated?

Thanks in advance,
kv
wonbin wrote:
Hello,

I am designing a simple website for a client, but would like to incorporate the ability to easily change the content. This would be straightforward, but unfortunately there is no access to mySQL. Currently the content is contained in various .inc files. Is it possible to manipulate .inc files using php in the same way that a mySQL record can be updated?

Thanks in advance,

The concept of database came up because file manipulation was difficult. But try finding php drivers for text files which would do the job for you. then you should be able to operate on the files as though they were database tables.
Texas Al
There are probably some XML libraries already built into PHP and that's exactly what XML is supposed to do-- store structured data in plain text form.

If you're going the include() route, that will absolutely work. What include does is put the whole file in literally, as if you just typed it in. So you could, for instance, have PHP do all your layout and markup... and include just the text in the included files with no HTML. Have a separate file for each block of text. As long as it's a small site, you might be able to do this without going nuts.

Or you could configure your FriHost MySQL account to accept remote connections (I haven't tried it, but unless that capability is disable here, MySQL should be able to do that).
devadutta
Honestly,
It is really tough and involved to write a query engine in php. You have to make parsers, your own data formats and so on..
If someone is ready to pay you for all that, may be you can try.
But you can try SQlite. It is a very small query engine. Convince your mebsater to give you access to SQlite. It is fun.