FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What to do for a livin'?

Nisk
Confused Hello this is my topic, I am about to graduate from high-school and i was wondering about what to do after or what college to go to?
Since me relatives all have different scientific backgrounds, asking them was a mistake, my helplessness was even bigger! Which was soon replaced by Panic... Shocked I decided to ask dear fellow members of our dearly beloved Frihost. So then i am open to opinions, sugestions and hints of any kind (punch me in the face while the hands are up Very Happy ) I am interested in sports, web-desighning, a hell with it!, everything to do with computers! Thank you for taking time to read this amazingly boring "New" topic.
Vrythramax
This topic isn't anywhere near as boring as my job...I'm a Systems Analyst for AT&T, whic has to be the most uptight company I have ever seen. They take boredom to a whole new level.
solarwind
One can become a doctor. Being a doctor is a pleasureful job. You get to save lives and earn a lot of money doing it.
Garnet
You could go into to game programming, or...my gosh "computers" opens up like hundreds of job possibilities. I only picked game programming because I happen to work with people who do that for a living and they make pretty good money.
psycosquirrel
You are on Frihost, so you must have some computing experience. Go to college and get a degree in Computer Science, and become a progammer. It pays pretty well, and can be quite enjoyable. My uncle works 4 full-time programming jobs from home. He rakes in almost 1 million dollars per year from programming. Then again, he is a genius Laughing
Vrythramax
psycosquirrel wrote:
You are on Frihost, so you must have some computing experience. Go to college and get a degree in Computer Science, and become a progammer. It pays pretty well, and can be quite enjoyable. My uncle works 4 full-time programming jobs from home. He rakes in almost 1 million dollars per year from programming. Then again, he is a genius Laughing

he must be exceptionaly good, I have a Masters from MIT in Applied Computer Sciences and I still have to use a free webhost. AT&T would never shell out anywhere near that kind of money for a working class stiff.
Gieter
If you like computers (I think you do) you can go get a Master in programming. Then you can program lots of software, like software for fighter jets, games, or other nice software.

PS: you'll have to take into account that if you get a Master in programming, you should program your whole life (not strictly true, but it comes down to this.) Maybe that's no problem to you, but maybe it is.
speedlikecy
become a rich man.....
can do many thing i wan to do.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Gieter
speedlikecy wrote:
become a rich man.....
can do many thing i wan to do.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But how would you become a rich man? That's the question!

Actually, the question is: what should Nisk do, since he hasn't a clue what to do next year.
alkady
Gieter wrote:
If you like computers (I think you do) you can go get a Master in programming. Then you can program lots of software, like software for fighter jets, games, or other nice software.

PS: you'll have to take into account that if you get a Master in programming, you should program your whole life (not strictly true, but it comes down to this.) Maybe that's no problem to you, but maybe it is.

Programming isnt an easy task, Once you get a degree in it, All they teach you is the codes and how to apply them.

Once you get a job, applying them is the real hard part, They expect you to sometimes apply it in a way you never been tought to apply. Thats why being any professional is no better than being a student. Your stuck learning new things as long as you hold the job. Silly me for thinking once out of school I wouldnt have to learn anymore.
Gieter
alkady wrote:
Gieter wrote:

Silly me for thinking once out of school I wouldnt have to learn anymore.

That's the evolution indeed. Because of rapid technological development, a changing economy, increasing demands concercing the productivity, durable development, etc. we have to keep learning new things. Not so fun for those who were counting the years that they could start working and stop learning.
Vrythramax
the evolution of programming langauges is what keeps it interesting, if they were not constantly changing can you imagine how stagnant and boring programming would become? It would be no better than any other dead end job in the world...with the exception of a (marginally) better paycheck.
Billwaa
computer programming is good...
Gieter
Billwaa wrote:
computer programming is good...

I like it as a hobby, but I don't think I would like to do it for the rest of my life, eight hours a day. So I'll just keep it a hobby. Wink
essentialmedia
I don't know if you can study for it, but you can visit my page and get a good idea of what I do for a living.

www.myspace.com/shanejayhayes
Sinars
You do not want to get one of those super high paying jobs that take years upon years of training and education to get, you want to get something that pays well but is within reach. For example, an animator. If your naturally good at drawing, odds are you will not need to study alot of the techniques used to be able to animate well.