FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My PC wont shut down / log-off by itself!

guissmo

I need to turn off the AVR to turn it off.
I know that's not good..

You know... I have a hunch that some program wont close by itself...
...what common Windows programs do you think wont close automatically?
trivi4l
That had already happened to me. I had some spybot so i installed Spybot Search & Destroy to remove them and now the PC shutdown whit no problems.
guissmo
Any other suggestions, anyone?
Clash
guissmo wrote:

I know that's not good..

What do you mean by AVR?

What version of Windows?
guissmo
Clash wrote:
guissmo wrote:

I know that's not good..

What do you mean by AVR?

What version of Windows?

XP.

AVR is the thing that you plug a lot of things to, and you have an ON/OFF switch to control the flow of electricity.
mOrpheuS
guissmo wrote:

I know that's not good..

You mean some programs take too long to quit, or simply refuse to do so ?
In that case you can try a simple registry tweak :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop -> change WaitToKillAppTimeout to something like 1000.
1000 is milliseconds (1 second)

Do the same at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

The same tweak for services that don't quit on time :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control, change WaitToKillServiceTimeout to 1000.

To kill programs automatically on shutdown :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop, change AutoEndTasks to 1.
Do the same at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
guissmo
ok. i did it. i'll give feedback later. Razz

EDIT: Whoops. Wrong grammer. </sarcasm>
Clash
That's kind of defeating the purpose of his post. He wants to fix whats wrong, not hide the symptoms.

Try these steps:

Start the machine in safe mode and see if it shuts down properly then. If it does you know it's something that only runs in normal mode. You also know that it's fixable Laughing

If it does shut down properly in safe mode use msconfig32 to start switching things that load at startup from coming on. Do it one by one, so you know when you've got the right one.

If it doesn't shut down in safe mode come back and tell us.
guissmo
umm.... i forgot how to safe mode Very Happy
Animal
When you start your computer, press F8 a few times before the "Windows Loading Screen" comes up. You can then choose "safe mode" from a list of options.
KHO
you may want to install a program called autoruns as well, you just drop it in any dir preferebly root (maybe thats just me though Neutral) and when you boot in safe mode you can run it via cmd or explorer, and edit start up items fairly efficiently. This is a good tool for manually sorting out spyware Neutral.
x-stream
How do you shut down usually? Do u use Start-> Shut down?
Or the Power-button at your keyboard? or do you push the power button in front of your pc?
TurkishGamer
try shutting down the computer by press control alt delete and then by pressing switch user and if that works you may be able to close your computer from there

Edit:I don't know about you but that always works for me when my computer refuses to shut down. Well.At least I tried to help.
heady233
x-stream wrote:
How do you shut down usually? Do u use Start-> Shut down?
Or the Power-button at your keyboard? or do you push the power button in front of your pc?
You have a power button on your keyboard? What does it look like?
headlong
One of the software in my computer has memory leak or it forgot to close unused file descriptors. It runs for 5 hours and my computer stuck. I can not close any program or turn off the computer or do log-out. The only thing I am able to do is to switch it off.
orno
my broadband connection client causes me that problem... trying to get flashfxp to auto shutdown when downloads are complete causes my broadband software to open a popup asking me if i want to logout, which ofcourse i dont see until io wake up in the morning when i realize my computer didnt shut down

or if you are sure its an AVR problem (dont u mean UPS) it could be something to do with your power settings...check windopws power management and also the power settings in your BIOS to see if it provides any clues