FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox...what's the big deal? please enlighten me!

xoxmeholly
I do not have firefox. What is all of the buzz about firefox? My boyfriend said he was surprised that I hadn't downloaded it. (You see, I download everything under the sun...) I've been perfectly happy with internet explorer. So what are the good things about firefox? I saw a thread that said something about themes. Can you put themes on it? Should I download firefox? Is it free?
Animal
xoxmeholly wrote:
What is all of the buzz about firefox?

The buzz about Firefox is that it's free, open source software and it is an excellent alternative to some other browsers - it is also available for most platforms ie. Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris etc. It has built in support for tabbed browsing (several web pages open within one Firefox window instead of cluttering your task bar), it has thousands of available extensions so that you can get it to do almost anything you want, and it's very easy to use. Because it's not Microsoft software, it's less likely to be the target of specific hacking / virus attacks, so it is generally accepted to be more secure (although this may change in the future as Firefox becomes more and more popular).

xoxmeholly wrote:
Can you put themes on it?

Yes, you can. There are hundreds of free themes and extensions available for Firefox.

xoxmeholly wrote:
Should I download firefox?

Why not? Try it out, and if you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, uninstall it and go back to Internet Explorer. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you could try Opera too (I quite like Opera, but Firefox is my personal choice).

Firefox
Opera

xoxmeholly wrote:
Is it free?

Yes, completely free. No strings attached either - no advertising or spyware. Because it's open source you're even allowed to modify the code and sell it! This is completely legal, so it might even make money for you (although, this is unlikely to say the least Wink )
{name here}
1. Firefox is free, and may be downloaded from here
2. Firefox uses web standards. IE does not.
3. Firefox has tabs so that you don't have to open 50 windows. IE does not.
4. Firefox has themes so you can have it look how you want. IE does not.
5. Firefox has a large amount of extensibility via the extension manager, allowing the blockage of ads on web pages, more efficient page loading, external download managers, etc. IE does not.
6. Firefox allows pause downloads and continue them again, also allowing you to close the download window without cancelling the download and all downloads are monitored in one dialog. IE never did that.

Another browser, Opera, also has many of these features(it does not have as many extensions and blocking ads is difficult), but is also an IRC client, a POP3/STMP mail clent, and a browser all in one. Best of all, it doesn't suck like the AOL browser. They're both(Opera and Firefox) secure, and have little popup interference.
Clash
{name here} wrote:
3. Firefox has tabs so that you don't have to open 50 windows. IE does not.
IE 7 has tabs now. It's on Beta 2 version, and is about 11 megs to download. I haven't used it yet as the beta is not in an x64 flavour as yet, and I'm too busy to stick it on my XP box, but I will soon and let you all know what it's like.

I presume because of the inclusion of tabs that MS are trying to rise to the challenge of Firefox, so maybe some of the other elements of Firefox are included as well.

That's not saying I don't like Firefox, I do. I've recommended it to people who are having problems with IE6 and as you can't uninstall and reinstall IE6 without binning the entire OS, Firefox is a very cheap and cheerful alternative Smile
Stubru Freak
{name here} wrote:
Another browser, Opera, also has many of these features(it does not have as many extensions and blocking ads is difficult), but is also an IRC client, a POP3/STMP mail clent, and a browser all in one. Best of all, it doesn't suck like the AOL browser. They're both(Opera and Firefox) secure, and have little popup interference.

If you want a built-in IRC client, try ChatZilla.

Also Firefox 2.0 (coming somewhere in the next months) will include some cool extra features, like reopening websites you had open when you last quit firefox, spell-as-you-type, and a lot more.
looksbad
Firefox in 4 words :
Safe, secure, fast, fun

Well thats about it the downloads to me are at 344kbps average and on IE im only going at 56 kbps.. So that made me go for firefox and the tabbed browsing well it works a treat.
Indyan
xoxmeholly wrote:
I do not have firefox. What is all of the buzz about firefox? My boyfriend said he was surprised that I hadn't downloaded it. (You see, I download everything under the sun...) I've been perfectly happy with internet explorer. So what are the good things about firefox? I saw a thread that said something about themes. Can you put themes on it? Should I download firefox? Is it free?

Firefox is nothing spectacular.Its not extraordinary.
But compared to IE 6 (well it isnt even fit to be called a browser when you compare it with other browsers) it looks extraordinary.

Well if i start writing about what Fx has that IE doesnt have then it will go into pages.
Ie doesnt even have tabbed browsing (allthough Fx's tabbed browsing is also rather ancient.They are gonna imporove it in v2).
Ie doesnt have any sort of download manager.
Ie is terribly behind when it comes to standards.
Compared to IE fx is much more safe.
Fx has lot more features.

But current leader in terms of features and performance is probably Opera.It has lot more innovative features.Try it (v9 TP2) and you will feel the difference.

Stubru Freak those features have been in opera for ages Smile
Some features of Opera are :
1. Tabbed browsing.Its the best implementation i have seen in windows browsers.It shows thumbnail previews of tabs.Has a smart close button.You can allign them.
2. Read aloud pages
3. Use your voice to controll it
4. Magic wand to keep track of your passwords and usernames.
5. Search bar.Allthough now almost all browsers have it, in v9 TP2 you can add new search engines with a couple of clicks (create search option).
6.Inbuilt IRC client
7.Inbuilt Rss feed reader
8.Inbuilt Mail client
9. Dynamic resizing of pages (it resizes the page properly including images).
it can resize pages to fit to window width thus eliminating hor. scrolling from poorly formatted pages.
10. Copy to note feature to save notes.
11.Opera show to view presentations
12. Widgets to do a variety of things like showing time,weather or act as a calculator.
13.Session manager including resume browsing from where you left.
14.Content blocker to block malicious and unwanted content.
15. Per-site settings.
and so on.
Stubru Freak
Indyan wrote:
xoxmeholly wrote:

Firefox is nothing spectacular.Its not extraordinary.
But compared to IE 6 (well it isnt even fit to be called a browser when you compare it with other browsers) it looks extraordinary.

Well if i start writing about what Fx has that IE doesnt have then it will go into pages.
Ie doesnt even have tabbed browsing (allthough Fx's tabbed browsing is also rather ancient.They are gonna imporove it in v2).
Ie doesnt have any sort of download manager.
Ie is terribly behind when it comes to standards.
Compared to IE fx is much more safe.
Fx has lot more features.

But current leader in terms of features and performance is probably Opera.It has lot more innovative features.Try it (v9 TP2) and you will feel the difference.

Stubru Freak those features have been in opera for ages Smile
Some features of Opera are :
1. Tabbed browsing.Its the best implementation i have seen in windows browsers.It shows thumbnail previews of tabs.Has a smart close button.You can allign them.
2. Read aloud pages
3. Use your voice to controll it
4. Magic wand to keep track of your passwords and usernames.
5. Search bar.Allthough now almost all browsers have it, in v9 TP2 you can add new search engines with a couple of clicks (create search option).
6.Inbuilt IRC client
7.Inbuilt Rss feed reader
8.Inbuilt Mail client
9. Dynamic resizing of pages (it resizes the page properly including images).
it can resize pages to fit to window width thus eliminating hor. scrolling from poorly formatted pages.
10. Copy to note feature to save notes.
11.Opera show to view presentations
12. Widgets to do a variety of things like showing time,weather or act as a calculator.
13.Session manager including resume browsing from where you left.
14.Content blocker to block malicious and unwanted content.
15. Per-site settings.
and so on.

Most of these features can also be added to firefox with extensions. That's the biggest advantage of firefox: it has no features you don't want and all features you want, you can make your own customized browser.
gh0stface
FireFox also tends to update security flaws relatively fast compared to Microsoft.
{name here}
Opera is great, but Adblock in firefox is much easier to use. Just right click the ad and adblock it. Opera has problems with multimedia content like YTMNDs. However, opera is great if you use it for browsing normal web pages.
mrxinusa
one of the best browser i know is Slim browser

you can download from link below

http://www.flashpeak.com/blazeftp/
vinodmishra
Stubru freak you may want to leave Indyan alone Laughing I have been with him on other forums and have been the witness of his Opera vs Firefox wars. So leave it at what he thinks..We all are entitled to have our own opinions. I was an Opera User for 2 years and then switched to firefox just to test it. When I first saw it i said well it lacks so many features but then I was testing it so continued to use it and I dont know when I switched completely...Afterall the features I missed in Firefox from Opera were the ones I never really used Laughing
Rosanova
Hi there,

I agree with all other Firefox freaks. Firefox is actually the best that had been happen since the early days with Mosaic and then later Netscape.

Actually isn't Firefox much diffrent, but they had filtred all bugs and made their browser with what you just need, and by several of years approved technologies.

I've now been used Firefox since beta 0.7 and I have no plans to change that, and looking foreward to their ver. 2.0.

Cheers and have a nice weekend Smile
Greeny
ITs free

Got its own firewall behind, so its stop unwanted pop-ups

better then IE anyday.

Microsoft have only just thought of making IE7 last year with the new windows OS.

You don't ahve to type in www. in firefox, its find the site with out it, where as IE you have to most times.

i use firefox all the time now, i don't like using IE, is crap!!
anthonygerbils
the bad thing about firefox is that it has slow loading time , it wont bring up some sites and itt sometimes wont even load pages or pictures but other than that its great
free and easy to use
mike16889
Sipaly firefox has realy good ad blocking and awsome security for those websites that try to install activeX stuff that you dont wont and also if you have fire fox with flashgot you can use your faverit dload maneger with megauploads and a hole heap of those dload websites that u usualy cant
bigzero
I really don't know why so many people are against IE. Been using for the longest time and never had a security problem with it, not once. Sure, the html parsing sucks, but you still have to go around it when webdesigning, since most people use IE. Ads are no longer a problem with the google toolbar, which is awesome enough to get it for other reasons than popup blocker. Also, am i the only person in the world that finds tabed browsing not as convenient? I did try firefox for a while, but tabbed browsing never worked for me. Think if you're switching apps, you have to switch to firefox first and then switch to the desired window. In IE you just switch to whichever page you want right away.

About the open source..... that might turn out to be not such a great thing, since flaws are easier to find and thus much easily exploited. Just a thought.
Stubru Freak
bigzero wrote:
I really don't know why so many people are against IE. Been using for the longest time and never had a security problem with it, not once. Sure, the html parsing sucks, but you still have to go around it when webdesigning, since most people use IE. Ads are no longer a problem with the google toolbar, which is awesome enough to get it for other reasons than popup blocker. Also, am i the only person in the world that finds tabed browsing not as convenient? I did try firefox for a while, but tabbed browsing never worked for me. Think if you're switching apps, you have to switch to firefox first and then switch to the desired window. In IE you just switch to whichever page you want right away.

About the open source..... that might turn out to be not such a great thing, since flaws are easier to find and thus much easily exploited. Just a thought.

About tabbed browsing, I know a firefox user who doesn't know about tabs and he has never opened a tab, so using firefox without tabs is certainly possible.

Also because of the open source, exploits are mostly found before the public release, and even if not, fixes are made before anyone manages to design an exploit.
romaop
Let's say you buy a mobile phone. There is a lot to do: get ringtones, wallpapers, pictures, games. Now imagine a software where you can customize and have lots of new features for free. It's Firefox. Another good thing about Firefox is it's popularity.
Firefox is different for Internet Explorer: it's common that webpages don't look the same (Firefox doesn't support Alt messages, IE is not so good with CSS, IE saves jpg sometimes as bmp, ...)
So let's say you have 2 mobile phones with different functionalities. Like one to write SMS and another for pictures and conversations. You will use both.

Firefox is more fun, specially if you like to customize.

Have a nice day!
Stubru Freak
romaop wrote:
Firefox doesn't support Alt messages

Firefox does support alt messages. They're displayed when you right-click the image and choose properties, or as an ALTernative text when the image can't be displayed. You probably mean Firefox doesn't support image tooltips. Well, wrong again. Firefox displays the title attribute as a tooltip.
Why is Firefox doing this different then IE? Well, it was a big mistake from IE to display alt attributes as tooltips. Now you often see file sizes, (undescriptive) filenames, additional information, and more like that in the alt attribute. Or some developers even leave the alt attribute empty, because they don't want a tooltip to display.
Why did you think the w3c specs say you HAVE to include an alt attribute?
Because every image needs extra information?
No, because without those alt attributes properly used, your page gets inaccessible to:
- visitors using a screen reader
- visitors using a braille display
- visitors using a text-based browser
- visitors with a slow internet connection who choose not to download images
Also if you write an article, and include some images, it happens a lot that after about a year the images are gone, and readers are left with some undescriptive tooltips.

In short, you should use the title attribute to display tooltips, and mozilla encourages this by not displaying the alt attribute.
IE also encourages this (but less), by displaying the title attribute rather then the alt, when both are available.

If you want to see the difference yourself, I made a small example:
http://fvds.frih.net/title-for-tooltip/
As you can see, both Firefox and IE share mostly the same behaviour here, with 2 exceptions:
- When the alt is used AND the title isn't used, Internet Explorer displays the alt attribute in a tooltip and Firefox doesn't.
- When the image isn't available but an alt text is used, Internet Explorer draws an image box around the alt text, while Firefox just displays it.
However both display the title attribute when hovering the alt text.
dz9c
Everyone should have Firefox, it should be the new standard on retail computers, if it already isnt. Firefox just rules.