FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Life on Mars

Is there life on Mars?
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
Maybe
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 35

william
I have always been wondering, is there life on the red planet? I think it's possible for some microscopic single celled organisms to life in traces of water. Also, is there life on other planets in the solar system? I donn't think so, unless the organism can live in harsh conditions without water. And, I also think there might be some microscopic organisms on exoplanets. But, I don't believe there's any other intelligent life outside earth.
altec
william wrote:
I have always been wondering, is there life on the red planet? I think it's possible for some microscopic single celled organisms to life in traces of water. Also, is there life on other planets in the solar system? I donn't think so, unless the organism can live in harsh conditions without water. And, I also think there might be some microscopic organisms on exoplanets. But, I don't believe there's any other intelligent life outside earth.

It might be possible. When you look at Earth, and go really deep in the sea, you see mulititudes of creatures thriving there even without sunlight at very high pressures and cold temperatures! It is a very hostile environment, but creatures do survive there.

To find life, water is always the key. For Mars, its a dry land and the atmosphere is too thin and it has no ozone layer and it is daily bombarded by cosmic and solar radiation. You can't find life on the surface of Mars. Perhaps, if they go deep in Mars, they can find underground water sources.
Reaper
I believe that there is life on mars, they have proven that there is water on mars but its pretty much all frozen due to the extreme in temperatures, but that does not mean theres not say a salt water lake that exists under ground. I chose salt water because it takes way colder temperatures to feeze it.
arkle
I don't know much about the subject, but I voted Maybe. If there isn't life on Mars, there will be on another planet.

Can I ask why you don't think there is intelligent life anywhere else?
Lennon
The martian soil contains harmful organic compounds, that means it's inhabitable by any organism we know of at the moment, but any microorganisms could have evolved to suit the harsh environment, if they can survive low humidity etc. Check out NASA's homepage on mars, go through www.nasa.gov
redace
william wrote:

I think there is high possibiltiy of intelligent life in the whole universe. Imagine how many galaxies with billions of stars are out there. Do you think that only our planet got the chance to host intelligent life? Isn΄t it waste of space?
william
Well, I just believe that human is the only intelligent lifeform in the universe. Though, I'm not saying that it's impossible.
theo
oh i dont think so
i think the earth is the only planet with life
Reaper
theo wrote:
oh i dont think so
i think the earth is the only planet with life

So out of billions maby even trillions of planets OURS was the only one to develope life? Sorry but the odds are not in your favor on that one, even if its only small organisms we will eventually find them when we develope space travel a bit more.
Stealth
There is no oxygen in Mars but just too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. There is extremely cold freezing temperatures which no life forms can exist. Otherwise they would be dead frozen. There is no water at all but only frozen carbon dioxide. Mars has always dust storms. The hottest temperature is Mars still could not support life. I had heard that there were microbes frozen in the soil but there wasn't enough evidence. There is only a weak and thin atmosphere which cannot protect life there because of the solar radiation. Mars is a small planet since that the gravity their is much weaker than in Earth, it can't hold the atmosphere together. It is similar to Pluto where their is only an extremely thin atmosphere of methane, but Mars has much more carbon dioxide in the air. I also heard that there is carbon monoxide in the atmosphere. That will surely mean that life cannot exist there. I don't think that life forms would exist in frozen carbon dioxide. I heard that maybe billions of years ago there was water in Mars then it froze but I can't believe how that happened.
Reaper
Stealth wrote:
There is no oxygen in Mars but just too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. There is extremely cold freezing temperatures which no life forms can exist. Otherwise they would be dead frozen. There is no water at all but only frozen carbon dioxide. Mars has always dust storms. The hottest temperature is Mars still could not support life. I had heard that there were microbes frozen in the soil but there wasn't enough evidence. There is only a weak and thin atmosphere which cannot protect life there because of the solar radiation. Mars is a small planet since that the gravity their is much weaker than in Earth, it can't hold the atmosphere together. It is similar to Pluto where their is only an extremely thin atmosphere of methane, but Mars has much more carbon dioxide in the air. I also heard that there is carbon monoxide in the atmosphere. That will surely mean that life cannot exist there. I don't think that life forms would exist in frozen carbon dioxide. I heard that maybe billions of years ago there was water in Mars then it froze but I can't believe how that happened.

Actually i believe the theorys something like this, mars was an inhabitable planet somewhat like earth, but it was either hit by something large or the planet simply died.
Ah no water on mars? sorry to dissapoint you but there very well could be, just because we can't see underground water tables on earth doesn't mean that they aren't there, so why couldn't underground water exist on mars?
Also theres a process called sublimation which means melting ice evaporates directly into vapor.
Also there has been more and more proof of various natural formations on mars, also rocks that could only have been created by being exposed to water for a long period of time.
wslinker
Might have been, but now... it's questionable if anything is left.
sniffass
why oh why is it necessary for there to be water for there to be life. I know that as far as we're concerned we'll die after about two or three days without water, but that's for a carbon based organism. Why is it not possible for life as we don't know it to thrive on any kind of planet we care to look at? Just because we would have a rough time there we just evolved in the wrong climate, but surely there can be life. Life is an amazing thing how that spark of electricity can be the difference between life and no life but when all we can do is gaze at even the nearest stars with our binoculars how can we be so sure that there is no life elsewhere. Even the nearest star Alpha Centuri is many light-years away, that means that what we see when we look at it actually occurred several years ago and we have absolutely no idea what is going on right now.

Earth is a small, insignificant planet in a small, insignificant solar system, that is on the outskirts of a small and insignificant galaxy that is in an equally insignificant backwaters part of the universe. I think anyone who says they don't think life can exist elsewhere is overrating their and Earth's importance in the grand scheme of things. I am one who believes that the stuff in Star Trek is going on right now in some part of the universe, except without humans. Maybe there is a war between Klingons and the other guys with the ugly foreheads!
Moryn
Voted no, but what of past life. I believe I've read of evidence
of fossils on mars. Fossils on metorites as well.

If there was once life, maybe it moved -- Laughing

Or maybe underground Shocked
william
Do you think there is life on other planets in the solar system other than Mars? Well, I doubt other planets have life, but I think either Jupiter's or Saturn's moons may have life.
Reaper
William it is nieve to think that we are the only planet out of billions even trillions of other galaxys and solar systems. Sorry but for me it seems very unlikely that were the only planet with life on it.
william
I never said there wasn't life on other planets. I think there is life on other planets, just not intelligent. We once tried to send a message, but that message will take 25000 years to reach there and if there's a reply, it'll take another 25000 years to reach us. Anyway, I think there are simple organisms through the universe, but not anything intelligent.
Reaper
oops I didn't see that part about in our solar system Embarassed. But still don't you think its quite possible to develope engines that allow us to jump vast distances in a relativly short amount of time?
hanay
I don't believe that there is currently any life on mars, but there may have been some in the past.

Mars is too unstable to support such a delicate thing as life.

Mars was once, however, covered with water and full of oxygen (which are key ingredients to form life), but when its core froze and it lost its magnetic poles; mars lost its water to its most nothern and southern regeions and the rest was boiled off by the sun's ultraviolet rays (deadly to living tissue).

Now mars is under constant bombardment of ultraviolet radiation and couldn't support any complex organisms on the surface.
selim06
I don't believe that there is currently any life on mars.But another galaxies or planets may be...Because i belive we aren't alone in whole of there...
ocalhoun
Perhaps it was inhabited, but millions of years ago. I think that if there ever was life on Mars, it has gone extinct.
dz9c
ocalhoun wrote:
Perhaps it was inhabited, but millions of years ago. I think that if there ever was life on Mars, it has gone extinct.

Thats what I think too.
snjripp
Perhaps there was life on Mars a long time ago. I doubt it. Water is not all that is needed. amino acids... chemical reactions... gassses... I just don't think that Mars has it in it. Its just too red.
Thundr n Lightning
william wrote:
I never said there wasn't life on other planets. I think there is life on other planets, just not intelligent. We once tried to send a message, but that message will take 25000 years to reach there and if there's a reply, it'll take another 25000 years to reach us. Anyway, I think there are simple organisms through the universe, but not anything intelligent.

And why exactly would intelligent life have to understand our message at all, if they did receive it. And would they necessarily have to deign to answer our message? That's the part that always gets me, negates the whole "we sent out messages but they didn't respond" defense to me.

IMHO, if it can happen here, it can happen somewhere else too.

As for life on Mars, I suppose it's a possibility. Mars isn't all too thoroughly explored, and there are archaebacteria that can thrive in even the harshest of conditions.

But... the thing that interests me most is the possibility of intelligent life forms who are not dependent on oxygen and water as we are. That would be fascinating Smile
Reaper
snjripp wrote:
Perhaps there was life on Mars a long time ago. I doubt it. Water is not all that is needed. amino acids... chemical reactions... gassses... I just don't think that Mars has it in it. Its just too red.

The point is if mars once had life on it then it was capable of supporting an eco system long before we came along, even more importinatly mars might not be able to revive it's self but maby with a little help from us we could bring it back from the dead.
As for the problem with all organisms being wiped out if mars once had life on it? Well whats the differance if we mess around with one more ecosystem on another planet to get plants to grow there and increase the oxygen levels?
Also its finally happened discrimination based on planet color..... now were screwed Laughing
william
Reaper wrote:
oops I didn't see that part about in our solar system Embarassed. But still don't you think its quite possible to develope engines that allow us to jump vast distances in a relativly short amount of time?

It's possible, but that would mean it'd have to travel faster than light. Today's level of science states that light is the fastest thing out there. Though, I think we can travel faster than light.
Sebaci
There aren't any humanoidal, green or grey aliens, but there are some bacteria
william
Sebaci wrote:
There aren't any humanoidal, green or grey aliens, but there are some bacteria

True. I'm 98% sure there's bacteria and other small organisms. But, life that is multicellular and visible to the human eye may not exist. I think that if there are multicellular organisms, then they're in another galaxy.
drkarthi
Mars, next to Earth is the most studied planet and so far no evidence of life is present so i dont think there is a chance of finding one in the future unless mankind settles there. But i do believe there is some kind of life must be present in some other star system though they may be unintelligent.
Kashinilaya
Ever since I heard there is life inside rocks, boiling liquids and even in environments filled with poisoning gases from vulcanos I realized that life is the rule, not the exception. For me the questions is more likely to be: "is there absence of life in such-and-such planet?"
kepika
i think their isn't life as it is on earth. their is nothing without rocks or something like that. such life like it is on earth does nowhere exist, becau god only gives life to earth.
william
drkarthi wrote:
Mars, next to Earth is the most studied planet and so far no evidence of life is present so i dont think there is a chance of finding one in the future unless mankind settles there. But i do believe there is some kind of life must be present in some other star system though they may be unintelligent.

Yeah, but I don't think they've explored enough.
Sharkbite86
well i duno about life on mars... i think its possible but it would definately be limited to single celled organisms.

As for live in general in our solar system? I think its VERY likely. Just look at Europa or Enceladus, both moons are made of ice and have molten cores. what does that mean? Well it means that their may be liquid water underneath the ice. how would the water not freeze? There may be underwater volcanos or hot water jets that keep the water in a liquid form. The volcanos and water jets would be powered by the molten core of the moon heating up the water and shooting it up into the oceans.

so i think there is a huge possibility of live other than our tiny little planet Razz .
dwcnps
There was Crying or Very sad . but now there still could be Confused so maybe.

Thre has already been proven that there is life on mars, no intellegent life but life. That Life is Bacteria Laughing . I belive that. I saw a documentry on the abc ("Australian Brodcasting Corporation" for those Americans who think of American instead of Australian) Called catalyst and they talked about a meteor which hit Australia and someones dog sniffed it out. Scienctists studied it and found it was from mars and had dead bacteria on it.

True Story Rolling Eyes .
Dj_honorio
I voted for maybe.. I think we don't have enough facts to say wether there is or there was life on mars yet.. Tho I serioulsy hope they came up with some proves soon.. it's about time to prove everyone that there are more ways to generate and keep life in the universe.. not everything has to happens as it does on Earth.. We have a looot to discover..
mialynavahy
hum, maybe , it might be possible. It is a hostile environment, but martians could be like ants, scarabs... they survive with pressure and a high temperature
Dan brown s book deception Point is very interesting about that.