FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intel Centrino

darczeku
Hi!
My brother bought notebook with centrino technology.
What exactly is centrino?
thiamshui
Intel Centrino is what Intel calls their 'under-clocking' technology.. It lowers CPU clock speed when your computer isn't running at very demanding applications and when your computer is idle, so that battery life is lengthened..

More about it here: http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/pentiumm/index.htm
darczeku
ah, very smart;)
but desktops have this feature too Wink
thanks for your help.
Gieter
Yeah, but Intel Centrino is specially made for laptops, so I think the power-saving functions are better than the one of an average processor. Smile
Clash
thiamshui wrote:
Intel Centrino is what Intel calls their 'under-clocking' technology.. It lowers CPU clock speed when your computer isn't running at very demanding applications and when your computer is idle, so that battery life is lengthened..

Its also Intels answer to AMD who have been doing the same thing since the Athlon. To compare a Centrino to a P4 you would multiply the centrino speed by 1.8

Therefore a Centrino 1.7 is the equivalent of a P4 3.06
Boles Roor
Clash wrote:
thiamshui wrote:

Its also Intels answer to AMD who have been doing the same thing since the Athlon. To compare a Centrino to a P4 you would multiply the centrino speed by 1.8

Therefore a Centrino 1.7 is the equivalent of a P4 3.06

What the **** are you talking about? O_o; Got anything to back that up cause that's just crazy. I've never heared of that, and would like some proof of that.
Clash
Boles Roor wrote:
What the **** are you talking about? O_o; Got anything to back that up cause that's just crazy. I've never heared of that, and would like some proof of that.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Getting a bit excited aren't you?

Do the tests, I did. Those figures are mine. Run on a number of Centrino's

What the **** do you care Laughing Laughing Laughing
sush
Get the facts. I've had a 1.6Ghz Centrino for a year, and no it's not even close to a 3.04Ghz P4, but it's closer to my old 550Mhz P3 for sure. It performs pathetically, and CPU-Z reports the clock speed at 598Mhz.

I'm not sure I would recommend Centrino to anyone, you'd rather go with a core duo MacBook pro Very Happy
Rsam
sush wrote:
Get the facts. I've had a 1.6Ghz Centrino for a year, and no it's not even close to a 3.04Ghz P4, but it's closer to my old 550Mhz P3 for sure. It performs pathetically, and CPU-Z reports the clock speed at 598Mhz.

I'm not sure I would recommend Centrino to anyone, you'd rather go with a core duo MacBook pro Very Happy

Err are you sure that its not 598 because it was clocked down to save power?

Isn't centrino the package of a Pentium 4M processor with a wireless card. Any laptop that has these two features is labelled a centrino.
Jaiye
"Centrino" means that it's using:

A Pentium M (Not P4M) Processor (i'm pretty sure their newer chips are included also)

It's using an Intel Wi-Fi card

It's using an Intel Chipset (855 or 915).

Centrino is just a way for them to market more of thier products together in one package.

As for what sush had to say, he must not understand how his computer works. Yes, cpu-z would report his cpu @598Mhz, because the cou will actually decrease both the voltage and clock speed to reduce power consumption while it's not needed. The PM processors do have about a 1.8x multiplier to get the equal power of a P4, although for certain applications, especially games, i've heard it's more like 1.5:1

Sush: if you want to see your cpu @ 1.6, run a program like any @home or prime95 that will push it to 100% load, then run cpu-z
ForceRun
yeap, it is just the CPU with wireless.

As for the CPU under-clocking, they do that too but it is not part of the "Centrino" marketing thing.

And I don't see why you would want to slow you desktop down like a laptop?
ibay
CENTRINO is a standard which specifies less power consuming processor and wireless connectivity. And how this power is saved? it is saved by reducing the GHz (Giga Hertz) of the processor and increasing the CACHE Memory.
Pentium 4 processors usually have 1MB CACHE Memory, although newer ones have 2MB CACHE Memory. CENTRINO Processors have 2MB of CACHE Memory.
While CENTRINO Processors have less GHz, they have larger CACHE Memory, which makes them faster as compared to P4 processors with 1MB CACHE Memory.
The reason for reducing GHz in CENTRINO is that Giga Hertz is the frequency speed of the processor produced by electricity, so larger the number of Giga Hertz, more electricity it consumes. Most of the Giga Hertz go wasted in 2 Ghz+ processors because of small CACHE size. This was not a problem in Desktop PC's because no one cared about the electricity usage of newer processors. But Laptops could not support the increasing number of Giga Hertz because of their limited battery power. To overcome this problem, Intel designed the Mobile processor to make efficient use of processor power and energy.
And it is wrong to say that Mobile Processor is slower than normal processor. If you compare 1.8GHz Mobile processor with 1.8GHz P4 processor, then the Mobile processor will work at nearly double speed.
If you fing your Mobile processor to be working very slow, then there is something wrong with your Laptop.
mOrpheuS
To clear things up ... Centrino is not a processor, Pentium M is.

So let's not talk about "a x.xx Ghz centrino processor".

I think Jaiye has given the best definition of it till now.

For people wanting to compare the performance of Pentium M with others, these articles might make for a good read.
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothangaming&page=4
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2129&p=7

A 2Ghz Pentium M mostly outperforms both Pentium 4 3.2Ghz and Athlon 3200+ in almost all applications, especially games !

No wonder it's the CPU of choice for most laptops today, and is proving hard to replace.
ibay
mOrpheuS wrote:

I already said Centrino is a STANDARD and not a Processor.
mOrpheuS
ibay wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:

I already said Centrino is a STANDARD and not a Processor.

You sure did.

I only said it was wrong to talk about Centrino as a processor when you (and few others in this thread) did :
ibay wrote:
CENTRINO Processors have 2MB of CACHE Memory.
ibay wrote:
While CENTRINO Processors have less GHz
ibay wrote:
The reason for reducing GHz in CENTRINO

Clash wrote:
a Centrino 1.7 is the equivalent of a P4 3.06
ibay
Thanks for correcting us all about CENTRINO processors.