FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Copyright questions

devroom
How to get copyright for my contents? I do use Creative Commens now, that means that, in mine case, somebody can show my site's stuff but MUST show my name. But i want to get all the rights so i have to give permission to everything.

Can i just put (C) 2006 beneath every page or do i have request something, and what if i have to?
Vrythramax
you can find information about Copyrights at The US Copyright Office, and there are a great many legal firms online that will file all the forms needed to legally copyright your work for a fee. You should know before hand that legal protection does not come cheap.
Bondings
Just put that copyright sign beneath your pages. It isn't even needed, it only reminds people that they aren't allowed to use it.
{name here}
There was actually a law passed in the 90s. In basis, it meant "If you created it, you may copyright it."
lilrage
Bondings wrote:
Just put that copyright sign beneath your pages. It isn't even needed, it only reminds people that they aren't allowed to use it.

very few people follow the rules
alkady
If you create something, Even a little scribble on a piece of paper, It's official your by de facto. Thats means you dont have to copyright it, If you can prove you created it before others, Then the law will recognize it. But its recommend to get it protected instead of having to go thru all this hassle to prove it.

You can put the Copyright Insignia, (c) Yourself 2006. But since I'm not familiar with the Creative Common License, I cant answer all your questions.
Daniel15
Speaking of copyright, there's a site called CopyScape that will search for copies of a page on your website. It's great to look for things like stolen FAQ's and stolen TOS pages Razz
Gieter
alkady wrote:
If you create something, Even a little scribble on a piece of paper, It's official your by de facto. Thats means you dont have to copyright it, If you can prove you created it before others, Then the law will recognize it. But its recommend to get it protected instead of having to go thru all this hassle to prove it.

You can put the Copyright Insignia, (c) Yourself 2006. But since I'm not familiar with the Creative Common License, I cant answer all your questions.

I think alkady is very true and that every website is copyrighted. If you're stealing from a website without copyright, that is illegal. At least, that's what I've read about it. Smile
Code of Ruin
Not every country has the same laws concerning copyright. What rights you have can vary from where you live, to where your server is positioned physically. As far as I know everything you create is yours and unless you give a specific permission to use your stuff in a specific way, using your creations is illegal.
Vrythramax
by Copyrighting your source code in whatever country you write it in, makes it that much easier to prove ownership of the original source in any legal proceedings. Copyrights do indeed change from one country to the next, and proving ownership can be difficult as pointed out, that's why the Copyright Laws were written in the first place...simply posting the or (c) symbol on your pages does not insure any legal protection as it can be easily removed or modified with any text editor.
jaysen
a low cost trick that i know a lot of writeres used in the past etc is once you make your material, in order to prove when you made it, take it, stuff it in an envelope and mail it to yourself. ( this should work for digital means as well, simply burn it to cd and burn the cd.)

Now when you get it back in the mail DO NOT OPEN IT! just put it away. You know have your media stamped with a creation date by the postal service in case if things were ever to go to court (eg someone claims your material as thier own)... and voila... proof to the judge that you made the material, or was at least in possesion of it on a certain date.

I know its helped a few people out of a bind before... my ex wife being one of them
devroom
i dont understand it well. So putting a (c) or doenst make sence, but when i mail all my stuff including pictures (more than 100 mb Confused ) to myself, i have copyright

Can somebody be more specfic? (or something, dont know the word Cool )
yisou
dont understand it well.
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:
by Copyrighting your source code in whatever country you write it in, makes it that much easier to prove ownership of the original source in any legal proceedings. Copyrights do indeed change from one country to the next, and proving ownership can be difficult as pointed out, that's why the Copyright Laws were written in the first place...simply posting the or (c) symbol on your pages does not insure any legal protection as it can be easily removed or modified with any text editor.

Huh, I've got to try that now.
Daniel15
Quote:

a low cost trick that i know a lot of writeres used in the past etc is once you make your material, in order to prove when you made it, take it, stuff it in an envelope and mail it to yourself. ( this should work for digital means as well, simply burn it to cd and burn the cd.)

Now when you get it back in the mail DO NOT OPEN IT! just put it away. You know have your media stamped with a creation date by the postal service in case if things were ever to go to court (eg someone claims your material as thier own)... and voila... proof to the judge that you made the material, or was at least in possesion of it on a certain date.

That's a great idea! Did you make that up yourself, or get the idea from somewhere else?

For everyone that doesn't understand, this is a method to prove that the content is yours. The post office stamp the envelope with the date and time, so this shows when the content was created. If you go to court, this would be quite good evidence.
Marston
Why would you go to court over a webpage?
Blaster
Something major like ebay might if they are losing all of there people because somone else made somthing similar and is getting all of there bussiness.