FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

tweaking wordpress

ChrisCh
hey, i've found out how to change things like the login page in wordpress etc, but i am wondering how to remove the "Entries RSS" and "Comments RSS" links from the WordPress homepage... I've tried snooping around but i can't quite find what I'm looking for.

(I'm not trying to disable RSS entirely, but just remove the links from the WP homepage).

Does anyone know how to make this change?
cafefort
Hi ChrisCh,

If you're using version 1.5 or later: the links are in your theme
directory, which is located in /wp-content/themes/your_theme_name
There you'll find some php files (a few! dont worry Smile ) look inside.

You'll find these links in one of these files, generally sidebar.php or such.

If you're using wordpress1.2 or before (and back to b2 Wink )
all your links are in the index.php page.

Hope this helps Smile
ChrisCh
thanks for your help! i've taken those annoying links off now Smile
cafefort
It's a pleasure Smile You're welcome.
sinaryuda
Tweaking WordPress to accept PGP-signed comments nicely

Because I’ll have forgotten by the next time I need to know, here’s what I hope is a complete list of how to tweak WordPress to store comments exactly as they are submitted, and only clean them up for display, so you can accept PGP-signed comments without mangling them:

1. Install the OpenPGPComment plugin.
2. If I haven’t reported the bugs and gotten them fixed yet:
1. In signature-popup.php, find the line left over from the original that says add_filter('comment_text', 'popuplinks'); and delete it
2. At the bottom, below remove_filter('comment_text', 'wp_filter_kses'); add another remove_filter('comment_text', 'wp_filter_kses', Cool; to get rid of the one you’re about to add.
3. In openpgpcomment.php, after editing the site URL (which it really ought to be getting from WP’s options), find the part where the comment text is put into a textarea so HTML doesn’t get parsed, and add a htmlspecialchars() around $comment_text so that character entity references in the original get parsed back to their original state by the textarea, not actually replaced by characters.
4. Make yourself a plugin to reorder operations, taking out all the default pre_comment_content filters, and the comment_save_pre call to balanceTags, and adding back the useful wp_filter_kses and balanceTags as filters on comment_text at the time of display, rather than before saving. Pray that’s not too slow (doesn’t seem to be even a detectable difference with 50-75 comments).
5. Because confirmdeletecomment, where you go from the comment notification email or the delete button on the “edit a comment” page, is overconfident about how safe it is to render HTML from a raw comment out of the database, add another htmlspecialchars() around where $commentdata["comment_content"] is inserted in the page (unless I’ve successfully reported that as a bug, too: that’s a lot of faith in kses’s invulnerability).
6. Cross your fingers, and invite your PGP-signing commenters to do their worst with signed broken HTML and difficult to get right characters and entity references.

For the “I know it’s not right yet” list:

1. Anything outside the signature isn’t displayed in the regular stripped view, only in the verification textarea. Nice as that is for passing secret messages, when someone pastes something signed into a comment, that winds up being the only part of their comment that’s displayed.

Update: One more fix, in openpgpcomments.php:

Add $doing_rss to the list of globals in function openpgpcomment, and then before the line that strips the signature and adds the verification link, add $verify_popup = ($doing_rss) ? "" : ' onclick="window.open(this.href, \'comments\', \'width=600,height=450,scrollbars=yes,status=no\'); return false"';, and replace the onclick… with $verify_popup, so that the validator doesn’t have to chide you about using onclick in your comment feeds.