FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats with people dos attacking servers?

Should Senator Stroger still run for office?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no, hes going to die
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
no, hes a bad choice
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
who the hell is he
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 13

DeFwh
Ive noticed that dos attacks have been increasing. Why do ppl dos attack servers and what is a dos attack to begin with?

I think dos attacks suck because i rent a pair of game servers and the server rack got dos attacked.

Plz add some more on this
jaysen
you referring to a Denial Of Service attack?
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/denial_of_service.html can explain int better than i could
n0obie4life
I would like to list out why people like to DDOS.

1. Fame
  2. Revenge
  3. Hatred
  4. Fun
  5. To have a good feeling that they managed to cause trouble (i.e. troublemakers like mOrpheuS)

That's all I can think of.

Yes, they just to it for all that, nothing else.
mOrpheuS
n0obie4life wrote:
troublemakers like mOrpheuS

Shocked

DeFwh wrote:
Ive noticed that dos attacks have been increasing
DeFwh wrote:
what is a dos attack to begin with

Shocked

I also don't quite understand the relation between an old operating system attacking and trying to take over servers and some politician contesting elections.
Srs2388
get rock solid protection on the server...
thats what i'd do...
first i'd come in here ask whats the BEST and then get that install
and no DOS
planet
DDOS seems to me to be of less consequence than BOTS,, its the future ^L*
lukeropro
I'm still not quite sure what DOS means. By the way, Planet, are you from China?
lilrage
my friends payed hosting got DDOSed so they took away his hosting he was pissed
Animal
lukeropro wrote:
I'm still not quite sure what DOS means. By the way, Planet, are you from China?

DOS stands for Denial Of Service (when used in a hacking context. MS DOS the operating system is totally different). This is basically when someone sets up a computer to request a load of useless information from a server so that it slows down or is forced to go offline. This is often used for blackmail, where a company is threatened that their website will be DOSed (taking it offline, losing the company money) unless they pay tens of thousands of dollars.

DDOS is Distributed Denial of Service - it works in the same way as the above DOS attack, but it is caused my many computers "distributed" across the country or world attacking the same server at once. Quite often, virus writers will use a virus to take control of a computer and use it as part of a DDOS attack.
Bondings
To extend animal's list.

A DDDOS is a DNS Distributed Denial Of Service. It uses open relay dns servers (most servers are unfortunately still allowing recursive dns) to amplify the packages with (something like) 50 times.
alkady
Another reason is to prevent something. Make life harder for those they hate.
Gieter
n0obie4life wrote:

1. Fame
  2. Revenge
  3. Hatred
  4. Fun
  5. To have a good feeling that they managed to cause trouble (i.e. troublemakers like mOrpheuS)

I agree, but I would like to add "Being Bored" to it. It's striking that when they're a national holiday the number of hacking attempts and other attacks increase.

@DeFwh: what's the relation between DOS-attacks and "Should Senator Stroger still run for office?"? I don't see it. Sad
alkutob
n0obie4life wrote:

1. Fame
  2. Revenge
  3. Hatred
  4. Fun

Yes I think these are the most reasons and they are all lead that these people are sick ....as how can a person imagine his happiness on behalf hurting others and make troubles and make them lose their time and money .....
Gieter
alkutob wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

1. Fame
  2. Revenge
  3. Hatred
  4. Fun

Yes I think these are the most reasons and they are all lead that these people are sick ....as how can a person imagine his happiness on behalf hurting others and make troubles and make them lose their time and money .....

This is something natural though. Recent survey showed that men love to see others go down, while women have less of these tendencies. It'll have something to do with evolution and survival of the fittest.
alkutob
Gieter wrote:

This is something natural though. Recent survey showed that men love to see others go down, while women have less of these tendencies. It'll have something to do with evolution and survival of the fittest.

Yes you are right ....
sparks
I think the answer to that question is jelousy.

they are just jelous that we can host for free and they can't and many of them are too lazy to post and we are not