FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless/Wired Router Question?

alkady
Is it possible to have a Wireless and Wired Router connect to the same internet connection at the same time. I have a wired router connected to two computers and now with a third which is in the basement, I was wondering if I can connect the wired one to the wireless router to send the connection signal to the basement.
ocalhoun
Sure, just connect one into the other.
You may have to use an ethernet crossover cable, but it should work.
Clash
ocalhoun wrote:
Sure, just connect one into the other.
You may have to use an ethernet crossover cable, but it should work.

I think he's trying to do it without wires, hence the wireless router in the basement. If he was doing it with wires, he wouldn't need the wireless router, just connect the wired router to the basement PC.

If the other PC was not in the basement he could just install the wireless router with the other two PC's and put a wireless network card in the other PC, but as wireless transmits up and out in a cone shape, I doubt he'll get the signal to go down and out. so that won't work.

The other way is to bridge two wireless routers or a wireless router and an AP, but that's messy and difficult to get to work with different brands of wireless device.
Clash
Actually, just looking at the post again, what he seems to want to do, is connect two routers to the same braodband connection.

I've never seen this done, but doubt that it's possible for the following reasons:

Broadband providers only usually supply one IP address per connection, so in effect he would be trying to get two devices to use the same ip address.

Some broadband providers allocate a username and password for the braodband connection which is allocated to the ip address. A second router would have to use the same username/password combo to connect and I doubt they'd allow that.

If the whole purpose is to connect a third PC to the internet using the same broadband connection, then the problem is one of networking the three pc's together to be able to use the router.
john2885
Usually wireless routers have an integrated 4 port switch. If this is the case, why not connect the 2 PCs upstairs to the switch, then use the wireless for the rest of the house? Otherwise I think you would need another NAT firewall which would hand out IP addresses to the wired router and the wireless router, then each one would NAT out to their own subnets. Messy, to be sure, but if all you need is Internet access it should work.
AftershockVibe
Yes it's possible, I've done this in my house and running over it at the moment.

Some things you need to check though:
1.) Only one of them can be running as a DHCP server
2.) The one running it MUST be the one connected directly to the Internet.
3.) If the second router does not accept settings from other DHCP servers (although it probably will) make sure you set their IPs to be unique. ie One of mine is set to *.*.*.254 and the other to *.*.*.253

Cool
psycosquirrel
Of course it is possible; we run 2 wireless routers and 2 wired routers at my house. Our first router has a cloned MAC address from the computer our ISP thinks is the only one on the network. The rest of the routers do exactly what Aftershock said; they all have different local address settings to avoid IP conflict. I don't know too much about all of it, since my dad did all the software-side work (I ran the wires and hooked everything up), but I can tell you that my ISP thinks we have one computer on their connection. We have 7 or more on at any given time.
feda16
I work for the voyager wireless helpdesk and as far as we can state that two routers on the one telephone line wont work, as you state there you wish to use one for your basement, why dont you have a wiress card imputted into all the PC's round the house there for giving everyone access, also the routers may not work off extension line so for the best broadband connection connect it to your main telephone line giving you the strongest signal, there for if 2 or more users are on the internet surfing you should not feel the effects of the bandwith being shared as this will only be affected with downloads.
AftershockVibe
feda16 wrote:
I work for the voyager wireless helpdesk and as far as we can state that two routers on the one telephone line wont work,

Really?! But that's a big fat lie! Aren't there laws against lying to people in order to sell things?
Animal
AftershockVibe wrote:
feda16 wrote:
I work for the voyager wireless helpdesk and as far as we can state that two routers on the one telephone line wont work,

Really?! But that's a big fat lie! Aren't there laws against lying to people in order to sell things?

I think what feda16 means is that two modems can't be connected to the same telephone line at once. So a modem-router would come into that. You can have virtually any number of routers operating together as long as one of them has a net connection and the rest connect through it.